General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power Meter or CycleOps Virtual Trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-15 3:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
Subject: Power Meter or CycleOps Virtual Trainer

Lets say I get the okay from my wife to spend some $$.  I am considering either a power meter or a virtual trainer such as Compu-trainer or the new CycleOps.  I have completed about 5 HIM's and did IMLP last year and many Oly's.  All with HR.  This year I plan to do 3 HIM's (Quassy, Cuse and Timberman) and return to LP in 2014.  I dont care much about racing at LP.  Its more of "pace" for me.  But I am semi-competitive in the HIM's and Oly's.  I am consistently in the top 10% to 25% in my AG in these races.  Which will help me be more competitive?  And, which brands do you recommend?  Also consider I live in CT where it is snowy and riding is very difficult now.  Need some advice and thanks. 

2013-01-15 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4579861

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Power Meter or CycleOps Virtual Trainer

Personally, I think it's more valuable to have the PM and be able to track & plan your training indoors or out.  It can also be a useful tool for racing (esp. long course). As far as brands, there are pluses/minuses to each of the majors (PT, Quark, SRM) but I would go with one of them (I have an older 'wired' PT that still works great).

But what will help you be more competitive is riding more/harder.  Whatever you can do to achieve that will be best for you. 

2013-01-17 11:24 AM

User image

Regular
Akron

Get the powertap because you can use it outdoors and during the race. When ur racing it's sorta like cheating (not like doping tho-lol). I use cycleops g3 and I  have a pro model as well.

Edited by SEADOCHA 2013-01-17 11:26 AM
2013-01-18 9:40 AM

Everyone has their preferences.  Mine is the CompuTrainer.  If you're a numbers guy, you can have it all.  Plus the added bonus of the Real Course Videos for many of the IM and HIM courses.  You can convert your own GPS files into rideable CT courses, etc.  Also being from a cold climate, this is what gets me on the bike and engages your mind during those long snowy winter days.  The downside is you don't have a power meter for your outdoor rides or more specifically your races.  A few friends have the PowerTap, but they're always training on their race wheel then.  One guy's so particular about not getting his $2500 wheel with PT worn, he doesn't even use it other than in races!  If you're going to train with power I suggest you pick up a copy of Hunter Allen and Andrew Coggan's book.  One more opinion that I'm sure will get shot down by other DFPM owners is check out the new iBike Newton.  They've cleaned up their act.  I have read and talked to dozens of people on this and for the cost and transferablility from bike to bike, its worth a shot.  So CT and the Newton if you have the money.  Actually the Newton Plus has a trainer component also so you can collect your power indoors too.
2013-01-18 12:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
Thinking the G3 but the iBike is interesting.  An earlier BT thread has a few fans of it but a ST thread rips it.  I have two primary bikes (road and tri) and they have different components (SRAM and Shim), wheels, crank and gear sets.  Its not interesting to swap back and forth and probably not do-able.  Im going to wait and see if any others chime in and what they think before I do anything.  Thanks for the feedback so far! 
2013-01-28 10:11 AM
in reply to: #4584629

User image

Aren't the SRAM and shimano cassettes interchangeable?  I am running a quarq.   Think you'll get better results from a PM just because you can use it indoors and will allow you to pace better on raceday (prevents "biking to hard" and blowing up on the run)....if it's about raceday performance get the PM....if its about passing time in the winter, get the trainer.

2013-01-30 10:07 PM

User image

Get you a power meter. I have a quarq and within a year i went from a 6:15-5:39 from the bike and had a strong run (no walking compared to walking a bit in 2011 having a 5 hr mary and in 2012 had a 4:05 mary. Not fast but improvement). PM is consistent. It shows u immediate output compared to HR training. When on hills u have to pace urself, focus on pedaling and etc and then hammer down the hill bc u paced yourself. On a hill, your HR doesn't spike till after u come over the hill then spend the next few mins trying to get HR down.

PM can be used while riding on trainer or outdoors. Train with what you can use while racing.(don't get powertap bc then ur either training on a expensive race wheel or will use them sparingly). But only get a PM if your not gonna follow it. Pointless to have it if you go out on rides and don't pay attention to it or put your ego aside.

2013-01-31 8:30 AM
in reply to: #4602226

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
cmsamp3 - 2013-01-30 10:07 PM

Get you a power meter. I have a quarq and within a year i went from a 6:15-5:39 from the bike and had a strong run (no walking compared to walking a bit in 2011 having a 5 hr mary and in 2012 had a 4:05 mary. Not fast but improvement). PM is consistent. It shows u immediate output compared to HR training. When on hills u have to pace urself, focus on pedaling and etc and then hammer down the hill bc u paced yourself. On a hill, your HR doesn't spike till after u come over the hill then spend the next few mins trying to get HR down.

PM can be used while riding on trainer or outdoors. Train with what you can use while racing.(don't get powertap bc then ur either training on a expensive race wheel or will use them sparingly). But only get a PM if your not gonna follow it. Pointless to have it if you go out on rides and don't pay attention to it or put your ego aside.

^^^  So much truth in this post.  Love my Quarq.  Do it.

2013-02-01 11:34 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Powermeter + trainerroad gives you the best of both.
2013-02-01 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT

Thank you all for responding.  I went back and looked at my performances in last year's races.  I was more like top 20% to 40% so I hope I didnt give you the wrong impression.  Anyways, more room for improvement with a power meterLaughing 

Now, which type to buy?  Again, I have a road bike that I do 80% of my training on and a tri bike I race on.  I ride with groups for the most part and they do not allow tri bikes on group rides.  Therefore, I have to use my road bike more.   A crank based system such as the Quarg is not transferable from bike to bike.  They are also more expensive than the hub based.  The hub base systems may be able to transfer from bike to bike (SRAM to Shim) but then youre racing on your training wheels. 

What is better, if I cannot afford both: 1) crank system on my road bike to do 80% training and race without the power meter. 2) Hub system utilizing switch outs and using one set of wheels for training and racing?

2013-02-02 8:39 AM

crank based PM as quarq's u can switch(just depends on your BB). Unless u plan on training on race wheel every time bc a PM is only going to be beneficial unless your using and following it consistently IMOP.(I had a purpose and specific workout/specific wattage for every time i rode). I saw quarq though bc I think they would be more reliable/durable over the long run. I am not sure about this but i wouldn't want to be putting thousands and thousands of miles on my race wheels. That's my opinion  but regardless, PM will change the way u ride and make you a SMARTER rider as well as stronger rider if you follow it and set workouts for yourself or set by a coach.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power Meter or CycleOps Virtual Trainer Rss Feed