General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Kansas : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-02-08 7:07 AM
in reply to: #4580390

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Kansas : Official Thread
That best western is probably the closest to the race, but there are others on Iowa a mile or two away as well. Anything in Lawrence would be fine though.

2013-02-16 6:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Overland Park, KS

2nd year!

2013-02-26 11:13 PM
in reply to: #4625226

User image

Veteran
South dakota
In, 1st year here, did Racine last year
2013-02-27 10:35 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I'm on the fence now. The price tag is super unappealing at the moment Yell
2013-02-27 1:57 PM
in reply to: #4638945

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS

lisac957 - 2013-02-27 10:35 AM I'm on the fence now. The price tag is super unappealing at the moment Yell

This makes me sad.  The five year streak can not come to an end.  I blame the snow...and the prices.

2013-03-08 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS

looks like Hines Ward will be joining us in Lawrence on his way to Kona.

http://endurancesportswire.com/football-legend-hines-ward-announces-race-schedule-leading-up-to-the-2013-ironman-world-championship-triathlon/

2013-03-14 9:51 AM

User image

Regular
Flower Mound, TX
Hey gang, My first time for this race..any feedback on conditions, weather at this time of year? Does anyone have a Garmin file of the bike course they can post?
2013-03-14 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4659424

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

ajax1868 - 2013-03-14 9:51 AM Hey gang, My first time for this race..any feedback on conditions, weather at this time of year? Does anyone have a Garmin file of the bike course they can post?

Weather in the past has been: warm, hot, windy, rainy, overcast, sunny, windy, hot. Cool

I would anticipate the high for the day being in the high 80s, possibly lower 90s. Expect wind. Last year was the first in 5 years the race was not wetsuit legal. 

Here's my Garmin bike file from 2011: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/92901242

2013-03-19 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran
South dakota
How do the transitions work there? I know there are two, are the bike spots assigned in each one? Do we have to pick up our bag before going thru?
2013-03-20 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4666961

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

Sdboy2 - 2013-03-19 9:02 PM How do the transitions work there? I know there are two, are the bike spots assigned in each one? Do we have to pick up our bag before going thru?

You'll have an assigned spot in both transitions, one near the swim (T1) and another next to the campground (T2), which is about a half mile up the hill from the swim start. Typically before the race you'll drop off your shoes and and other run related items first in T2 before heading down to T1 to set up your bike, etc. before your swim. After the bike segment you'll be directed to T2 to rack your bike and begin your run.

After the race you'll have the option of having your bagged items from T1 transported up to an area right next to T2 for your convenience.

2013-04-01 8:34 PM
in reply to: #4667380

User image

New user

Olathe, KS
Barkeep - 2013-03-20 9:27 AM

Sdboy2 - 2013-03-19 9:02 PM How do the transitions work there? I know there are two, are the bike spots assigned in each one? Do we have to pick up our bag before going thru?

You'll have an assigned spot in both transitions, one near the swim (T1) and another next to the campground (T2), which is about a half mile up the hill from the swim start. Typically before the race you'll drop off your shoes and and other run related items first in T2 before heading down to T1 to set up your bike, etc. before your swim. After the bike segment you'll be directed to T2 to rack your bike and begin your run.

After the race you'll have the option of having your bagged items from T1 transported up to an area right next to T2 for your convenience.

Does everyone leave there wetsuits at T1 if its wetsuit legal?  I thought I read somewhere that there have been issues with wetsuits not sticking around

2013-04-02 12:19 PM
in reply to: #4682652

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
nbecker06 - 2013-04-01 8:34 PM

Does everyone leave there wetsuits at T1 if its wetsuit legal?  I thought I read somewhere that there have been issues with wetsuits not sticking around

I think the people who have had there wetsuits gone missing were the ones that elected not to put them in the transition bags that are then transported up to the area next to T2. In the past, during the bike segment, the race staff has torn down the T1 bike racks and anything that wasn't transported up to T2 is left lying in the parking lot with no real markers as to wear your transition spot was. This makes it real easy for someone to mistakenly take someones wetsuit (not that out right thievery hasn't happened).

If you take the time to bag your wetsuit and gear after the swim, it is taken up next to T2 where it sits under the watch of volunteers. If you then show a bib number or some kind of ticket you can pick up your swim gear after the race.

2013-04-02 12:49 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Yeah I recommend taking the 5 seconds to shove your wetsuit in the bag and have it transported. I've done it both ways and treking down to T1 and back after the race is BRUTAL.
2013-04-05 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4683637

User image

Sioux Falls, SD

65 days till race day by my count!  Can't wait to make the trip from South Dakota!  Hope everyone's training is going well.  I can't wait to get my bike outside finally, I feel like I have a lot of cycling to do to get ready. Swim and run and good.

I'm staying at the Best Western on Iowa Street.  Anyone else staying there?  I'm not the camping type and it seems like a pretty short drive on race morning.  Does anyone have any advice about the course and anything we should know about (big hills, aid stations,etc) or train for for those of us who haven't done Kansas before?  I'm really hoping to get a picture with Dorothy at the finish line!

Also, how clear is Clinton Lake?  Am I going to be able to sight off of other athletes or will I not even be able to see my hand in front of my face?  Thanks for the info and happy training!

2013-04-05 12:56 PM
in reply to: #4688161

User image

Platte City
buckeyeguy77 - 2013-04-05 11:30 AM

65 days till race day by my count!  Can't wait to make the trip from South Dakota!  Hope everyone's training is going well.  I can't wait to get my bike outside finally, I feel like I have a lot of cycling to do to get ready. Swim and run and good.

I'm staying at the Best Western on Iowa Street.  Anyone else staying there?  I'm not the camping type and it seems like a pretty short drive on race morning.  Does anyone have any advice about the course and anything we should know about (big hills, aid stations,etc) or train for for those of us who haven't done Kansas before?  I'm really hoping to get a picture with Dorothy at the finish line!

-Also staying at the BW off Iowa.  It is a short drive, but you will still want to leave early to get a decent parking spot.  

Check out the bike elevation map, there are a couple bigger hills.  Everyone always thinks Kansas is flat.  It is NOT.  Now, I don't think any of the climbs are bad enough to get out of aero, but thats me.  

Aid stations on the bike were bad last year, everyone throwing bottles into the middle of the road.  Please, get out of aero, SLOW down a lot, and get what you need.  Bad cyclist?  Stop before/after and get what you need, don't one hand grab and go down.  Saw someone pretty messed up after one of the aid stations last year thanks to this.

Run aid stations are great, you pass by all of them a bunch due to the course layout.  Honestly, the run course is one of my favorite parts of any race, going through the campground is downright awesome.

Also, how clear is Clinton Lake?  Am I going to be able to sight off of other athletes or will I not even be able to see my hand in front of my face?  Thanks for the info and happy training!

-You might see your hand in the water...maybe.  On the plus side, that also means you can't see the snakes, turtles, catfish, or other critters! Sighting was tough last year due to the waves, that's the only year I have experience there.

2013-04-06 2:11 AM

User image

New user

Lawrence, KS

Forgive my newbie post. I did a LOT of bike racing a decade ago, some mara's and halfs in the meantime, and I've signed up for the Kansas HIM. No tri experience, haven't touched the water since I was a kid--but I WILL be getting in the water soon. Looking to finish.

My question is, can any of you recommend a good FAQ on race day for a medium distance new triathlete? Basic things I don't know (my bike experience isn't helping), include: (1) how do you get food/are there feed zones? (2) do you drink in the water or go into slight dehydration? (3) how do you avoid drafting, assuming you exit T1 in a group? (4) do you wear a jersey for the bike + run stages, (5) is there water, sport drink, gel/blocks on the run course? (6) should I spend the cash on a thin wetsuit given that last year was the first in 5 years to NOT allow a wetsuit (note: I don't plan on winning my age group).

Thanks! I'm very excited about this race. A longstanding goal is a FIM, a dream I've had since I was racing Cat 1 mountain back in the day (it was Expert then).

2013-04-06 9:28 PM
in reply to: #4688331

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
thepaul500 - 2013-04-05 12:56 PM

-You might see your hand in the water...maybe.  On the plus side, that also means you can't see the snakes, turtles, catfish, or other critters! Sighting was tough last year due to the waves, that's the only year I have experience there.

You have NO IDEA how much I wish you wouldn't have mentioned snakes in the water.  Turtles, cool. Catfish, cool. "other critters", cool.  Snakes.... Oh hell no!

2013-04-11 7:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Little Elm, Texas
Does anyone have a campsite they reserved, but are not going to use? I tried to reserve one at the Clinton lake park website, but it looks like they are all full My whole family is coming and the kids really want to camp. This will be my fourth time doing this race, and I really like it.
2013-04-11 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
Don't go by the website. Call up there and talk to them directly. I don't think they sold out of campsites last year.
2013-04-11 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4695927

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

joncolbybohnsack - 2013-04-11 7:31 AM Don't go by the website. Call up there and talk to them directly. I don't think they sold out of campsites last year.

Yeah, give Sherri Withers a call at 785-842-8562. She's been helpful in the past.

2013-04-11 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4689087

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
boogles - 2013-04-06 2:11 AM

Forgive my newbie post. I did a LOT of bike racing a decade ago, some mara's and halfs in the meantime, and I've signed up for the Kansas HIM. No tri experience, haven't touched the water since I was a kid--but I WILL be getting in the water soon. Looking to finish.

My question is, can any of you recommend a good FAQ on race day for a medium distance new triathlete? Basic things I don't know (my bike experience isn't helping), include: (1) how do you get food/are there feed zones? (2) do you drink in the water or go into slight dehydration? (3) how do you avoid drafting, assuming you exit T1 in a group? (4) do you wear a jersey for the bike + run stages, (5) is there water, sport drink, gel/blocks on the run course? (6) should I spend the cash on a thin wetsuit given that last year was the first in 5 years to NOT allow a wetsuit (note: I don't plan on winning my age group).

Thanks! I'm very excited about this race. A longstanding goal is a FIM, a dream I've had since I was racing Cat 1 mountain back in the day (it was Expert then).

1. There are aid stations on the bike and the run.  You can also keep some food at transition if you want something that's not handed out on the course.

2. No and no.  Drink a gatorade before the race starts and you'll be fine.  You can always pee in the lake if you misjudged and drank too much.

3. As long as you're not intentionally drafting, you probably won't get called for it.  Officials realize that we get bunched up in places, particularly early in the bike, and will cut you some slack.  But if you're blatantly tucked in right on the back of someone's wheel, they will penalize you.  Once the field spreads out, keep your distance unless you're passing.

4. I do not own a bike jersey that I would want to ride in.  Buy a tri jersey and wear it for all three legs.

5. Yes, about every mile.  Plus fruit, pretzels, chips, soda, etc.  Although what's available varies by station.

6. If you have not swam since you were a kid, then I would strongly recommend purchasing a wetsuit (and not to freak you out, but seriously get in the pool like right now).  Wetsuits are bouyant and will help lift your hips/legs, which will improve your form.  Also, there's a difference between wetsuit legal and wetsuit prohibited.  You can wear one with water temps up to 83 degrees, you just wouldn't be eligible for any awards.  Finally, keep in mind that if you're having trouble at any point during the swim, you CAN hang on to a boat or kayak to take a break.  They just will not be able to move you forward at all.

2013-04-11 9:53 AM
in reply to: #4689087

User image

Platte City

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get some open water swim practice in before the race.  Shawnee mission should be open by then hopefully.

If you have never done an open water swim start in a tri before, with little swimming experience, you will freak out at the start, which is not a good thing.  The water is murky, your wetsuit feels tight around your chest, people are swimming on top of you, etc.  This is how people get into trouble on the swim and end up DNF'ing, or worse.

Also, drafting on the bike is a big no no.  People do it, and they should be penalized.  Enforement is generally lax for age groupers, but still.  Its not a group effort, and if  pass you while your drafting, I will, and many other people, will have some unkind words for you.

2013-04-16 7:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Little Elm, Texas
Thanks for the advice on the campsite everyone. I was able to get a site in the shade. Kids will be happy.
2013-04-16 9:07 AM
in reply to: #4689701

User image

Platte City

I was mostly kidding about the snakes! (I'm also a little wuss about snakes...)

Don't forget that with the mass of swimmers, all the critters will flee like crazy in the lake, and the course is crowded enough where you'll have nothing to worry about.

Now, might not want to do Redman down in OKC like I did, bunch of people saw tarantulas and rattlesnakes out on the bike.  Lucky I didn't see them or I'd have likely went over the handlebars...

2013-04-18 5:38 PM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Crowie announced he'll be doing Kansas this year.  He's done Racine the past 2 years.  I'm 0-2 against him, I think this is my year to finally beat him!  (sarcastically)
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Kansas : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 5