General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to go for a week of mountain biking? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-16 11:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Where to go for a week of mountain biking?
We usually take a week each summer to go mountain biking.  We did Winter Park last year and Crested Butte the year before.  Trying to plan this summer and leaning towards CB again- but wondering what other areas people would recommend.  We have family come in so need to be able to rent a house/ condo (not a camping crew.)  Any suggestions?

2013-01-16 6:44 PM
in reply to: #4581093

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Where to go for a week of mountain biking?
If you could push it to Spring or Fall, Fruita's an awesome place to spend a week mountain biking. Not for summer though, too hot . Otherwise you can't go wrong with the Butte. I'm hoping to get to the Butte this summer myself (after a Spring trip to Fruita ).
2013-01-17 12:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Breckenridge is also a great spot. They open the ski slopes to downhill, and you can hit the Colorado trail from town. There are lots of places to stay that are within a couple of miles of the Colorado Trail. Guaranteed mtb fun. You can check out the Breck web page for more info on the trellis park. For .gpx files of the CT check out bikepacking.net. You can easily do a full day ride either east or west of Breck. If you go west you can ride the CT to Copper Mountain and get a second option for downhill on the ski slopes. There are lots of places to stay around Copper also. Either of these options will need to be late June to August. Early June trips may require some post holing over the top of the passes, but it is still beautiful. It is section 7 of the CT that goes from Breck to Copper. It is very steep and tough riding, but well worth the views. It is a 12.8 mile section that took me around 6 hrs to ride(I was also loaded down with 60# of camping gear and food). If you stay in Breck the trail head is 4 miles north of town, but you can catch a free shuttle bus to the trail head. If you want an easier ride, you can take roads from Breck to Copper. I can get you maps on that if you are interested. If you choose to go east from Breck it is Section 6 of the CT that you would be riding. It is a bit easier, and just a pretty views. It is a 32 mile section one way and ends at Kenosha Pass. Probably a bit far unless you are willing to camp, you said you party isn't. As a result I would recommend riding to the top of Georgia Pass for lunch. It is 12.3 miles from the trail head in Breck, but will take 3-4 hrs to ride. Then turn around and head back to Breck. If you have further questions, let me know. I am sometimes slow to respond, but will get back to you. I have limited internet connection these days, and do good to check in once a week.
2013-01-21 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO

Another vote for Fruita! It'll be a much different type of riding and terrain than CB or Winter Park, but I think it's such a gem. And cheaper than CB for sure.

Fruita loves mountain bikers and has taken great pains to make sure the people coming to town to ride are well taken care of.

That said, it is the desert so time of year for your visit is important. Summer is not the ideal time to go.

2013-01-21 3:16 PM

Expert
Golden, CO

Can't go wrong with Crested Butte again.  And I agree with what has already been said about Fruita..plus that would be close enough for a day trip or two to Moab.  Just need to think about the weather..unless you like the heat.

2013-02-26 10:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur D Alene, Idaho
Look at Angel Fire New Mexico. If not for this year, then next.
There are plenty of Condos, the Main Lodge, and VRBO Homes right there.
And perhaps most importantly, it's great terrain is virtually undiscovered compared to any Colo Ski Resort.
Besides the obvious ski runs, here's a course that leaves from the Lodge front door, and in about 12.5 miles for a 25mile out and back includes a Cat 1 climb on the Eliot Barker Trail.
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/93868807/?new_route=1
They hold a 100 Mile Ultra Run on this course that had ONE finisher last year and made plenty of Leadville finishers DNF. Wanna try 25 of it?
Also, even the Mid July normal Temps are in the 80s for a high, low 50s for a low, so you spend much of your day 'Cool, but Warm' and then 'Warm, but Cool'. There's also plenty of good eats.

Frankly I don't tell other folks about that area much... I've driven for over an hour on a summer Holiday weekend without seeing another Car (do THAT in Colo) and I'd like to keep it that way. But fellow Bikers are welcome!
They hosted a bunch of events last year including the National Collegiate Mtn Bike Championships, so the word is getting out.
Here's their Bike Park site, events page from last year, and you can link to the home page from there.
Enjoy!
http://www.angelfirebikepark.com/events.php

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to go for a week of mountain biking? Rss Feed