General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Rev3 Cedar Point - Full Rev : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-01-21 3:33 PM

Expert
Golden, CO
Subject: Rev3 Cedar Point - Full Rev : Official Thread

Happy MLK Day everyone.  Since I am "working" I thought I would get the 2013 Rev3 Cedar Point Thread going.

Let us know

1.  Who you are.

2.  What significant races you have done before.

3.  Why you chose Rev3 Cedar Point.

4.  What your biggest challenge will be in preparing for the race.

5.  Favorite candy bar.

2013-01-21 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4588237

Expert
Golden, CO
Subject: RE: Rev3 Cedar Point - Full Rev : Official Thread

I better actually fill this out..lol

1. Who you are.  I am Scott..45 and trying to complete my first Iron distance race. Currently live in Colorado but originally from the Badger state.  I am not an endurance athlete. I am 6'1" and 235 and come from a family of football and volleyball players.

2. What significant races have you done before.  I did a sprint in 2010 and then signed up for IMWI in 2011. I made it through 8 miles of the run before dropping from dehydration..it was still one of the funnest experiences I have had. 

3. Why you chose Rev3 Cedar Point.  The first reason is that I did Rev3 Maine and had a blast. The people and atmosphere were so much fun and more laid back then Ironman races.  The second reason is that the course is more suited to a big guy like me than IMWI.

4. What your biggest challenge is in preparing for the race.  My challenge is losing weight and staying healthy.  The weight is tough enough..I then came down with gout last year which pretty much destroyed my race season.  Hopefully have it under control as of 1-1-13.  I would like to get about 40 pounds off before race day.

5. Favorite Candy Bar.  Kit Kat...although I love Mars Bars..but they don't make them anymore. A friend brought me one back form England..I was super excited until I bit into it and found out the Mars bars overseas is similar to a Milky Way..no almonds either..boo.

2013-01-24 11:09 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Didn't want you to feel lonely (although you'll get a lot of company soon, I'm sure.)

I'm in the process of working out logistics and cost right now.  The time is right for a full, and I've done the Rev3 CP half twice now...  I'll get back to you WHEN my decision is finalized. 

Happy training!

2013-01-27 12:14 PM

Hey!  I am from the badger state too, but I live in OH, now.  I did the REV 3 full last year -- got hit by a car cycling 18 days before the race, but managed to pull off the whole shebang anyway.  The course is great.  It's less than 2 hours from home and Charlie (the owner) is awesome!  I am hoping to do the full again, but I work nights as an RN so training in the dark and sleep deprivation are my biggest challenges   I'm hoping to do REV 3 Wisconsin Dells too, since I am a badger fan through and through!  Happy training!!
2013-01-27 8:19 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

Checking in!

1.  Who you are.  Maria from Fayetteville, NC; 46 yrs old (will be 47 for race).

2.  What significant races you have done before.   Lots of run races up to 50K.  Several Sprints, 3 Olys, 4 Halfs, and 2 Full Iron (IMFL 2011; Beach2Battleship 2012). 

3.  Why you chose Rev3 Cedar Point.  Because it's Cedar Point!  This is nostalgic for me because I grew up in Warren Ohio and my parents took us to Cedar Point every summer.  My parents are both deceased now and I have not been to my hometown in several years, so I am looking forward to re-connecting with my extended family while up that way.  I'm also excited to do my first Rev 3.  It's fun to have completely different race experiences; I do not particularly like repeating races.

4.  What your biggest challenge will be in preparing for the race.  I am a poor swimmer and Lake Erie looks pretty menacing!  I understand it is called a "freshwater ocean" because of its turbulence and has quite a history of shipwrecks and ghost stories.  I bought two books to learn more about the history and lore of Lake Erie before swimming in it.  Can't wait!

5.  Favorite candy bar.  I guess I'll have to say apple pie Larabars, since I do not eat candy.  But when I did eat candy bars, it was Snickers, YUM!

2013-01-27 8:19 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

BTW - Allanjel .. My biggest fear is getting injured before a big race or something otherwise coming up to prevent me from racing.  Sorry to see you were hit by a car, but great job pulling it off anyway!

Edited by Maria527 2013-01-27 8:22 PM

2013-01-28 2:48 PM

Expert
Golden, CO

allanjel... a badger living in Ohio..ouch.  hopefully you have Bucky flying over your house.  And hopefully we will see you at CP.  I got to spend the weekend with some of the girls from the Rev3 team and they were a blast.  I think that bodes well for a good Rev3 season.

Maria..a larabar does not count..so we will have to take Snickers as your answer.  I swam in the Atlantic last summer for Rev3 Maine and that was a piece of cake..I am hoping Lake Erie is the same..but you never know. 

2013-01-30 11:14 AM

User image

Regular
Akron
I'm having problems deciding between this race and IMKY. I did the half Rev 3 last year and it was a nice course. Pretty similar to KY from what I hear. This race would be much easier to pull off as far as costs and logistics considering I only live a little over a hour away. decisions/ decisions! Right now I'm leaning more towards Rev 3 full. Once I decide and if it's this race I'll be back to fill out my profile
2013-02-02 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4601337

Expert
Golden, CO
Rev 3 will definitely be smaller race wise. I believe they run the half and the full at the same time.  I got to know a lot of Rev3 people last year and was impressed by the group overall.  The fact that they all stayed last year to welcome in the last finisher at the 19 hour mark speaks volumes to me as to what they care about.  I was torn between IMWI and this race but I know I will have fun here.  (Wisconsin is actually much easier for me logistically because that is where I am from)
2013-02-11 9:46 AM

User image

Regular
Akron
so this week I'm leaning towards this race.lol. What kind of training hours are you putting in right now? I know it shouldn't be a ton, but just curious where you stand. I had my ankle reconstructed on NOv 21st and just started do run/walk intervals. The good news is that it feels okay to run, but I don't want to push it too much so I increase slowly each time. My cycling is coming back more than anything because it was the first thing I could do post op (5 weeks later). I now feel comfortable saying I will sign up for an iron distance this year because I know the ankle will hold up even if I have to walk it. I can't wait for this weather to break!
2013-02-14 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4617294

Expert
Golden, CO

SEADOCHA - 2013-02-11 8:46 AM so this week I'm leaning towards this race.lol. What kind of training hours are you putting in right now? I know it shouldn't be a ton, but just curious where you stand. I had my ankle reconstructed on NOv 21st and just started do run/walk intervals. The good news is that it feels okay to run, but I don't want to push it too much so I increase slowly each time. My cycling is coming back more than anything because it was the first thing I could do post op (5 weeks later). I now feel comfortable saying I will sign up for an iron distance this year because I know the ankle will hold up even if I have to walk it. I can't wait for this weather to break!

I am in the same boat as you..had some medical and family issues from November up until the end of January.  I actually got gout..which sidelined me for almost 2 months. Thus I am in the recuperating, base building and strength phase of my year.  I am only doing about 5 hours per week but that should actually go up to 10 hours starting in the next two weeks.  And that includes a lot of the low impact, low intensity stuff that you are doing.  I also had to start with the run/walk.  However, I am confident I will be ready for September if I don't have many more setbacks..and drop a few pounds.  I was kind of in the same situation two years ago before IMWI and it turned out well. (Well..not well..but I was fit enough to finish the race)

If you want you can follow my training on my blog..there is a link below. I am going to start putting in more of my actual workouts form my coach.

2013-02-15 12:50 PM

User image

Regular
Akron

whew that is one heck of a detailed blog! I look fwd to checking it out later. Thanks!

2013-03-04 2:22 PM

User image

New user
Fayetteville

Hey everyone,

Im Pete from Fayetteville NC. Significant races I have done include IMFL and Beach 2 Battleship full. I have completed 4 halves with Augusta 70.3 being my favorite.

I chose this race because Im told theres a huge amusement park right there. The race is a free pass for all the garbage food I want.

My biggest challenge is the swim. I have a hard time getting a lane and sometimes blow off swim time. I will try to put more time in the pool this year.

My favorite candy bar? Can I go with Mike and Ikes instead? I love Mike and Ikes and Jelly Bellies.

2013-03-14 1:22 PM

User image

New user

Antioch, IL

Hello all, I'm Dion.  I'm a 45 year old male(turning 46 next week) and I am registered for this race, and very much looking forward to it!

Thus far, I have done NO significant races what so ever  I did one OLY last year(Pleasant Prarie in WI)  By Race day I will have done that race again as well as a HIM in Racine WI.

I chose the Cedar Point race for a great many reasons.  I spent my early adult life working at Cedar Point as well as developing some amazing life long relationships there.  It will very much be like coming home for me.  I can already feel the park lights pulling me back over the causeway and across that finish line.

I think my single biggest challenge will be the running portion.  Despite finishing a half marathon and several other shorter races, I've always been a slow/poor runner.  I also have about 35 LBS to drop before race day.  I'm hoping this will make me a much more efficient runner.

Favorite candy bar has to be MOUNDS!  Absolutely LOVE them, though obviously trying my best to stay away from them lately

I'm looking forward to seeing you all on race day

2013-03-26 8:47 AM

Ohio

1. I'm Zach; I'm 22 years old and currently living in Fostoria, OH. I'm going to be going back to Ohio State University for dental school this fall. I get a great thrill out of challenging my body through tough races.

2. Nothing significant...the Toledo Marathon a few years back, a few Spartan races, a tri-adventure race(bike/kayak/backpack), and a few duathlon relays last year ending with a half du relay(I did the biking).

3. I have always wanted to be able to complete an ironman, and I figured what's a better time to do it than now. I live an hour from CP so I can check out the course beforehand. I worked there over the summer a couple years ago, so I'm familiar with the area.

4. The biggest setback is that I've never competed in a triathlon before. I've been working on swimming a lot and have a couple olympics scheduled this summer to prepare. I'm following a training plan for a first-time ironman here on BT. I'm extremely nervous yet extremely excited at the same time.

5. I'm going to have to say Twix. Nothing beats a Twix.

2013-03-27 5:59 PM
in reply to: #4674612

User image

New user
Fayetteville
Zach, are you using the BT beginner Ironman plan? I really like that plan. It works out great and fits in with "life". I start using it again on April 22nd.

2013-03-28 8:20 AM

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh

Hi everyone!

1.  Who you are: My name is Sarah and I'm 25 years old and live in Pittsburgh. I started running in 2008, with my first half marathon in 2010 and began triathlons in 2011. I'm the slow and steady type

2.  What significant races you have done before. I have completed a few Olympic distance races, Musselman 70.3, the Chesapeakeman Skipjack (1.2mi swim, 64mi bike, 10 mi run). I started Ironman Arizona in November 2012 but dropped out 100 miles into the bike after serious dehydration and stomach issues.

3.  Why you chose Rev3 Cedar Point. Close to Pittsburgh, great atmosphere, great reviews.

4.  What your biggest challenge will be in preparing for the race. 2 things: 1) my weight. I am about 20lbs above what I want my "racing weight" to be. I'm 5'2 and about 150lbs. This not only makes me a slower runner more prone to injury, and makes it hard to climb and slows me down on the bike, but more importantly I overheat very easily and really struggle with nutrition and hydration. 2) The mental aspect. Not finishing IMAZ in November was terrible and really brought me down mentally...making me feel like I'm not good enough, not fast enough, not dedicated enough, etc. Sometimes it helps give me motivation to work harder but sometimes it really drags me down.

5.  Favorite candy bar. Twix! YUM!

2013-03-28 8:48 AM

Ohio
Yes, I think that's the one! I start on the 22nd as well...I've just been alternating running and swimming every other day until that program starts.
2013-04-01 8:52 PM
in reply to: #4677126

Ohio
Did you follow the plan strictly or did you add/remove/change some of the workouts?
2013-04-03 7:00 PM
in reply to: #4682671

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

Riblet21 - 2013-04-01 9:52 PM Did you follow the plan strictly or did you add/remove/change some of the workouts?

Pete (ncpistol) and I train together.  The first time we were pretty strict (anal!) because I was paranoid that I would not be able to complete the race if I wasn't.  Second time not quite as strict, but still pretty close.  You really do have to TRUST the training plan (IMO).  We used the BT Beginner Ironman plan both times because the schedule is manageable.  The only thing added was a bit more length on some of the bikes and some strength/core work.

Edited by Maria527 2013-04-03 7:03 PM
2013-04-03 8:44 PM
in reply to: #4597070

User image

Regular
Gurnee, IL
Maria527 - the swim will be better than you think! (Yes - I'm partly trying to build your confidence :-))

I did the inaugural Rev3 Cedar Point in 2010 - I know they've changed the swim course from the first year (we did two squares with a beach run between the two versus the new course) - but Lake Erie is very shallow. Many people walked at least 200 yards before they dove in and started swimming.

2013-04-06 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4685854

Ohio
Maria527 - 2013-04-03 8:00 PM

Pete (ncpistol) and I train together.  The first time we were pretty strict (anal!) because I was paranoid that I would not be able to complete the race if I wasn't.  Second time not quite as strict, but still pretty close.  You really do have to TRUST the training plan (IMO).  We used the BT Beginner Ironman plan both times because the schedule is manageable.  The only thing added was a bit more length on some of the bikes and some strength/core work.

Awesome! I'm lucky enough to have a training partner as well to make sure we stick to the plan. Smile

And yes I was wondering how shallow it would be there, because up near my grandparents place on Lake Erie you can walk out quite far before it even gets more than waist deep.

2013-04-06 2:48 PM
in reply to: #4685944

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

djdjm - 2013-04-03 9:44 PM Maria527 - the swim will be better than you think! (Yes - I'm partly trying to build your confidence :-)) I did the inaugural Rev3 Cedar Point in 2010 - I know they've changed the swim course from the first year (we did two squares with a beach run between the two versus the new course) - but Lake Erie is very shallow. Many people walked at least 200 yards before they dove in and started swimming.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!  I'm feeling pretty sure this will be my toughest swim to date; but I'm okay with that.  I have some books about Lake Erie's shipwrecks and other Lake Erie stories and lore that I plan to read before arriving.  It will make the swim more entertaining to know the history of the lake.  And from what I understand, it has a colorful history!

I've barely trained all winter, so I can't wait for the training plan to kick in (April 22) so I can get back on track!  I have a short sprint tomorrow in 54 degree water (Brrrrrrrrr!).  Maybe racing will help me get my motivation back.

2013-04-08 8:59 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Myers, FL
I'm in for 2013. Can't wait. 3rd ironman.
2013-04-12 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4689440

User image

Regular
Akron
Maria527 - 2013-04-06 2:48 PM

djdjm - 2013-04-03 9:44 PM Maria527 - the swim will be better than you think! (Yes - I'm partly trying to build your confidence :-)) I did the inaugural Rev3 Cedar Point in 2010 - I know they've changed the swim course from the first year (we did two squares with a beach run between the two versus the new course) - but Lake Erie is very shallow. Many people walked at least 200 yards before they dove in and started swimming.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!  I'm feeling pretty sure this will be my toughest swim to date; but I'm okay with that.  I have some books about Lake Erie's shipwrecks and other Lake Erie stories and lore that I plan to read before arriving.  It will make the swim more entertaining to know the history of the lake.  And from what I understand, it has a colorful history!

I've barely trained all winter, so I can't wait for the training plan to kick in (April 22) so I can get back on track!  I have a short sprint tomorrow in 54 degree water (Brrrrrrrrr!).  Maybe racing will help me get my motivation back.

I did the half this past year and the water was almost like glass. It was great!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Rev3 Cedar Point - Full Rev : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2