General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength Training before or after cardio Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-01-25 11:45 AM
in reply to: #4589836

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast Michigan
Subject: RE: Strength Training before or after cardio
It's never occurred to me which is "better" though others in previous replies have spoken to that a bit.  I lift a bit heavier weights when I lift, enough to build some muscle anyway, and I know that when I do a run that is anything more than a warmup I have absolutely no desire to lift anything after that.  So I'd go with lifting first for sure.

2013-01-25 1:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Wasn't really the question, but I love to do high rep strength training (50x) after swimming.  Shoulder Training to complement swimming, Back Training because most tri movements bring us forward, and Leg Training because at that rep range it promotes recovery/healing of muscles and strengthening of tendons.
2013-01-26 4:31 PM

Indiana
While S/B/R strength workouts are better than ST with weights there are benefits to the gym ST IMO. For me gym ST has really helped with nagging injuries and injury prevention. Just adding 1-2 full body ST sessions a week during the winter has really helped. I reduce it to 1 during the summer. Also it is beneficial to older athletes for over all health reasons and to combat muscle lose. In the winter I ST first then cardio. In the summer I try and separate the work outs.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength Training before or after cardio Rss Feed  

of 2