General Discussion Race Reports! » Bone Island Tri - Full Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Bone Island Tri - Full Iron Course - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key West, Florida
United States
Questor Multisport & Set Up Events
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 04m 1s
Overall Rank = 66/127
Age Group = 40 - 44
Age Group Rank = 7/15
Pre-race routine:

Nothing new. Had my morning smoothie and coffee.
Event warmup:

Light stretching.
Swim
  • 1h 16m 2s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm happy with this swim given the conditions. It wasn't terrible but the waves and swells were a little bigger than expected. There were time that the water was so shallow I had to walk. That was really frustrating. They needed more buoys for siting, especially with the swells. Swim time includes the run to the changing tents. I was around 1:12 when I got out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. You can't control mother nature.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Really good transition but the time doesn't include the time spent in the changing tent. Overall T1 was around 5 minutes.

Nothing
Bike
  • 6h 11m 30s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty good bike overall with the headwinds. I paced myself good and really ignored my pace going into the headwinds. The tailwinds were nice coming back into town. Some people complained about a narrow shoulder or rough roads but I disagree. There were a few sections of road that was a little rough but nothing terrible to me. I would give anything for the size of the shoulder on the race where I live. I felt like there was more than enough room.

Drink more water. I don't think I pushed too hard on the bike but I didn't drink enough and I think that set the stage for the meltdown during the run. I was used to riding in the cooler temps and didn;t drink enough and ended up starting the run slightly dehydrated (I think).
Transition 2
  • 06m 8s
Comments:

Nothing special here but your typical T2.

Nothing
Run
  • 6h 29m 24s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

UGH! Where do I start. I totally blew it on the run. I didn't drink enough on the bike and paid for it big time on the run by ignoring what my body was telling me. I got caught up in calculating my overall time. The first 9 miles I was right on my target pace BUT my HR was way too high and I was way too hot. I didn't drink or eat enough during this time and that combined with the lack of hydration on the bike put me in a big hole that I couldn't get out of. After mile 9 things went bad. Cramps, nausea, dizzy, you name it, I had it. I wanted to run and my legs were not so tired that I couldn't run but everytime I tried to run I felt like I would pass out so I did a lot of walking. Up until this point I was stupid and didn't cool down. I started carrying ice in my hands but the damage was done. At mile 16 I had to take a break and debated calling it a day. After sitting at the aid station for a good 5 minutes and fighting the demons in my head telling me to stop I decided to push on. I had invested way too much time to quit this far into it. The remaining 10 miles was just survival mode and I thought alot about where I screwed up. I was happy to be done with this race.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! I would pay better attention to what my body was telling me and stay as cool as possible.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hydration and over heating. It really wasn't that hot but at the start of the run I was sweating like crazy. I had the training I just messed up the 4th part of a race which is hydration/nutrition.

Event comments:

Now that I've had some time to digest my performance I happy with it. At first was so mad at myself especially since I blew a podium spot in my age group. Looking at the results I was still MOP with a terrible run (walk). Mentally I had to push myself to finish and I'm happy I didn;t quit. I learned from my mistakes and end the end I did have fun.

I don't think I'll do this race again. I knew there would be some logistic issues being the first year but creating a descent course in Key West is too hard. The swim was too shallow and needed a lot more buoys and volunteers to direct people. The bike was not that bad too me but I heard about cyclist getting stopped at a turn around for up to 10 minutes. I would have lost my mind if they did that to me. The run down Duval St was a disaster. They didn't have the road blocked off and there was no way I was going to run on those narrow streets with traffic. The sidewalks were littered with drunks and tourist so it was juts a big mess. The finish line was like a ghost town. Very few people were there and all they had to eat was pizza.

Last updated: 2012-09-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:16:02 | 4224 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 30/127
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Ocean swim parallel to the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:09
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:11:30 | 112 miles | 18.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 32/127
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: 2 out and backs
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 06:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
06:29:24 | 26.2 miles | 14m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/15
Overall: 91/127
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat and windy!
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2013-01-23 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
Subject: Bone Island Tri - Full Iron Course

2013-01-24 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4591038

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: Bone Island Tri - Full Iron Course
Troy - way to tuff out the bad patch on the run! Getting through that to make the finish is a real testimonial to your toughness...way to go, mate! What are you doing later this year? IMC? Yer gonna crush it...
2013-01-24 2:50 PM
in reply to: #4591038

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
Subject: RE: Bone Island Tri - Full Iron Course
Thanks Chris.  I plan to seek revenge on the run course at IM Canada.  I'm still trying to plan out races leading up to that. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bone Island Tri - Full Iron Course Rss Feed