General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gels & Power bars; are they really effective Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-01-25 11:05 PM

User image

Regular
NW Houston
Subject: Gels & Power bars; are they really effective
New to Endurance sports here.  I noticed that folks here use them as does my "new" girlfriend who is a cyclist.  Everything I've read about the absorption rate, etc. seems to indicate that someone is just making money having sold a bill of goods to athletes.  So if you're a "user", do you really notice a difference in your performance or how you feel during and after your run/bike?

2013-01-25 11:14 PM
in reply to: #4595300

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
Subject: RE: Gels & Power bars; are they really effective
Yes, gels and bars help.  But if you are in my 60-64M AG I suggest that you not use gels, bars, food or fluids 24hours before or during your races against me cause I need all the edge I can get.  Wink
2013-01-25 11:40 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

I don't think the products per se help....it's just that in a long workout or race your performance will suffer without taking in some easily digestible energy, and for many people, gels, bars, or sports drinks are easily portable, tolerable, and palatable ways of getting that energy. Which product to use is more a matter of your taste buds and tolerances. I have a few kinds of gels and bars that I like, and seem to go down well even in an intense workout or race, so I use them when they're available.  Otherwise I just take what I have (bananas, granola bars, nuts, etc.)

One woman I used to train with with disliked most commercial products (they are overpriced, and often unavailable, here anyway); I never saw her eat anything other than bananas, nuts, and the occasional gummy bear on a ride, and she kicked my butt routinely. So no need to take a branded sports product; it's just that in a long workout or race, some foods like bananas may not be very convenient!

With gels/drinks with caffeine, I definitely do notice a slight boost in performance and decrease in perceived effort, but timing is important. One could get the same boost from some coffee, but unless you're going to make a cafe stop mid-workout, a gel with caffeine would probably trump cold coffee in a bike bottle for most people!

2013-01-25 11:43 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
You can't preform without nutrition and gels & bars are a form of nutrition. If your other choice is not to replace them with anything, then you'll perform poorly. If you replace gels & bars with whole foods, you'll perform just as well...mabye better if you can customize your nutrient needs the best.

Nutrition is what they are selling. If it comes in a pretty package and is convenient, then by all means use them. It's not a conspiracy, but yes, you should understand why you are using them and not just take it with blind faith.
2013-01-26 12:52 AM
in reply to: #4595321

User image

Hot Runner - 2013-01-25 7:40 PM

I don't think the products per se help....it's just that in a long workout or race your performance will suffer without taking in some easily digestible energy, and for many people, gels, bars, or sports drinks are easily portable, tolerable, and palatable ways of getting that energy. Which product to use is more a matter of your taste buds and tolerances. I have a few kinds of gels and bars that I like, and seem to go down well even in an intense workout or race, so I use them when they're available.  Otherwise I just take what I have (bananas, granola bars, nuts, etc.)

This^^^^

Lots of people use other products that are not marketed as "nutrition."  Such as jelly beans, honey, or regular food.  As with any form of nutrition, you have to experiment with what works for you.

I prefer gels because they are convienent.  When I wake up in the morning, I just want to open my cabinet and grab some gels and head out the door.  When I'm done with them, I throw away the wrapper.  I'm willing to pay extra for that simplicity.

2013-01-26 5:15 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

One thing gels and sport drinks offer is easily digestible forms of nutrition.  Not all of us have iron stomachs and can take in just any old calories without the stomach protesting.  You'll want to experiment.  For example, I've found that only sport drinks work for me.  Gels or anything solid gives me GI distress while training, especially running.

Another thing many of these products contain is electrolytes which help you stay hydrated.  This is especially important when training in high temps.  That said, many people find salt tablets to be just as helpful.  The gels and drinks are just a convenient way to get the easy to digest calories plus electrolytes.

As for nutrition bars, I don't think they offer much.  They generally contain way more sugar than necessary and grabbing a piece of fruit is just as easy.  Or if you're willing to put in the effort there are plenty of recipes online for making your own version of energy bar.  To me, the kind you buy in stores are glorified candy bars and yes, the manufacturers are making money off poor saps who think of them as "health food".  That said, they are quick and easy forms of nutrition if you need calories in a hurry and can't find something healthier.

2013-01-26 5:55 AM
in reply to: #4595325

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
AdventureBear - 2013-01-26 12:43 AMYou can't preform without nutrition and gels & bars are a form of nutrition. If your other choice is not to replace them with anything, then you'll perform poorly. If you replace gels & bars with whole foods, you'll perform just as well...mabye better if you can customize your nutrient needs the best. Nutrition is what they are selling. If it comes in a pretty package and is convenient, then by all means use them. It's not a conspiracy, but yes, you should understand why you are using them and not just take it with blind faith.
x2. The biggest advantage of using them instead of whole foods is convenience. Most are packaged in ways to allow them to travel well, have a long shelf life, and be easy to use while biking or running.
2013-01-26 6:07 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
What everyone here said.  But, there are a lot of folks who think they need to take bars/gels when really they don't as well.  For example a 30 min recovery type run doesn't need you to supplement.  So like someone above said, timing is important, but also knowing your body to know what type/length of workout you need to supplement and what ones you'll just be fine on with your normal meals you consume throughout the day
2013-01-26 7:20 AM

User image

Regular
Florida

As a Type 1 Diabetic I use Gels and Power Bars alot. It is an easy and convenient food that helps to keep my blood sugars where they need to be while doing these crazy training and endurance sports. I think of them as a gateway drug to enable me to do endurance sports.

I don't think I'd be able to do a marathon or my long training sessions with out them.

They also make a great way to get my blood sugars up from 25. They are portable and have a great shelf life so I keep some on hand for emergencies.

I know there are haters out there about my Blood Sugar Reading. I'm just quoting the glucometer I know of the 10 point variance. Please just realize that the GU's keep me going during training, long races and when I get a low blood sugar reading. That is the point I'm making.

Isn't nutrition the Fourth Discipline anyways?

2013-01-26 7:48 AM

User image

Gels and bars affect different people differently.  For me, gels had little effect and bars were too hard to eat while going hard.  After a lot of experimenting, I used only drinks during races.  The problem with this is that any event more than 2 or 3 hours and the drinks made me feel sick to my stomach.  So, I use drinks and water in both practice and races.  I personally feel that the gels and bars are overrated.  Where I do feel they do go is after a brutal practice.  You need to replace electrolytes and make sure there are the building blocks for muscle growth then.  Of course, chocolate milk and a peanut butter and banana sandwich will do the same thing.  

In short, different nutritional supplements have different effects on different people so experiment and don't expect a miracle product.

2013-01-26 7:58 AM

New user
Worrstadt, Germany

Has anyone tried the pinole that they talk about in Born to Run? I have on many occasions after a long run drank water with chia seeds and lemon, they call it iskiate in the book, and feel very refreshed but it has to be drank pretty quick or the texture gets a little questionable.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/tarahumara-pinole-chia-recipes/

Chris

2013-01-26 9:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

You should try it for yourself and see. Do gels make a difference? Yeah...I can say they do. But gels don't mesh with my regular eating goals of eating as close to the source as possible and trying to avoid unpronounceable ingredients. While most here use gels for convenience (which can't be beat in that regard), I use real food as much as possible and feel physically the same and feel better about myself. I use dates with a little salt and honey/agave nectar. Sometimes just dates. Put them in a Ziplok bag and bite off the corner when ready. Thought I'd offer a different perspective as it can be done without the commercial gels.

Someone mentioned pinole and chia. I think that's my next foray. 

There's a thread in the nutrition forum on real food for races as well if you're interested. 

2013-01-26 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4595455

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Chriswilkes333 - 2013-01-26 5:58 AM

Has anyone tried the pinole that they talk about in Born to Run? I have on many occasions after a long run drank water with chia seeds and lemon, they call it iskiate in the book, and feel very refreshed but it has to be drank pretty quick or the texture gets a little questionable.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/tarahumara-pinole-chia-recipes/

Chris

I made up a batch and did not like it at all. It was very dry and grainy. I am sure there are ways to tweak the recipe for a gooier result, but even the taste (with peanut butter) was boring. 

I can get GUs for $1 each, and only eat one or two during a long hard run. During a race, I eat a bunch, but the total cost of GUs compared to everything else in a race is pretty darn small.

2013-01-26 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran

Def try and experiment. I like Hammer gel because it's easy on my sensitive stomach. I can take a little bit of that while running. Biking I can more easily digest so I mix it up between Hammer and pretzels.

Gels are easiest to digest for me which is pretty important.

2013-01-27 12:23 AM

User image

Regular
NW Houston
Thanks to all for the information and thoughts.  Lots to "digest". Smile  Being new (as stated earlier), I have time to experiment.  My first race isn't until May and my workouts, therefore are running under 45 minutes as of now (following a BT custom program).
2013-01-27 12:26 AM
in reply to: #4596208

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yep like it's been said, it's mostly about convenience.

I like to go with whole foods personally, sometimes even have gummies in a pocket too just in case

2013-01-27 6:32 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Normally I don't use any nutrition until a run or tri exceeds about 90 minutes, or 2 hours for a training ride. Unlike one of the posters above, I actually find liquid nutrition harder to stomach. I've never had a good experience with the "modern" drinks like Exceed and Infinite. Gels (or bars on the bike for a long ride or tri) plus water and calorie-free electrolyte drinks like Nuun work much better for me. For long training rides (3 hours+) I usually take a banana and maybe a few nuts to eat after 60-75 minutes and then a favorite gel to take at 2-2:30. It's both a blood sugar boost and a welcome treat. Bananas aren't a good idea when racing, for obvious reasons, though! You just have to experiment and see what works for you.

Back in the day, I don't think anyone used bars and gels. ALL my marathons were run without any nutrition, except for Gatorade and, for my PB (2:43 at age 19) some difizzed Coke, and I don't recall "bonking". These days, I'd just carrry a few gels--it's a lot more convenient--no need to carry your own drinks or be an elite runner who gets her own drinks at the aid stations.

Edited by Hot Runner 2013-01-27 6:43 AM
2013-01-27 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ

sspicer - 2013-01-26 10:23 PM Thanks to all for the information and thoughts.  Lots to "digest". Smile  Being new (as stated earlier), I have time to experiment.  My first race isn't until May and my workouts, therefore are running under 45 minutes as of now (following a BT custom program).

How long is your first race? 'Sports nutrition' is generally just bad-tasting candy. Carbs (sugars) and electrolytes (salts), sometimes caffeine. If your race isn't more than a couple of hours you shouldn't need anything. For long bike rides, I've been known to eat fruit, cookies, granola bars, and sports nutrition like gels. They all work pretty much the same. I like gels for running because they are easy to carry.

As a side note, the electrolyte mix in sports nutrition tends to be overrated and more of a marketing ploy than anything. Find whatever source of carbs you like (I like Oreos and Chips Ahoy) and use those if that's what your stomach handles best. Most things have some form of salt in them.

2013-01-27 11:58 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Are they effective?  In the sense that they are very convenient and compact and replace calories and electrolytes, yes, they are effective. 

I carry a gel or two on long runs and long rides as a "just in case" measure but generally rely on stuff purchased at the grocery store (or convenience store) more than these "engineered foods."  Snack crackers, peanuts, Payday candy bars, fig bars, granola bars, breakfast bars, and bananas are my preferred nutrition for long rides and I'll supplement them with a sports drink. 

For me, I rarely take in calories or electrolytes for anything less than 2 hours.  I often try to eat something or otherwise make sure my body is "topped off" before starting which allows me to do 2 hour sessions with just water. 

I do ultramarathons, and I tell people these events are really outdoor buffets as much as running events.  Ultra aid stations have a wide assortment of foods including:  pretzels, nuts, fig bars, cookies, corn chips, jelly beans, twizzlers, gummy bears, fruit, bagels, and peanut butter.  Often, they will also have soup, mashed or boiled potatoes, and ham and cheese sandwiches.  Ultra runners will grab a hamburger, hot dog, pizza, or other foods not normally associated with "racing" if it is available.  After doing ultras, running a marathon and seeing an aid station with sports drink orange slices and gel is disappointing, but the two are entirely different events. 

2013-01-27 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4596391

User image

Regular
NW Houston
MonkeyClaw - 2013-01-27 9:13 AM

sspicer - 2013-01-26 10:23 PM Thanks to all for the information and thoughts.  Lots to "digest". Smile  Being new (as stated earlier), I have time to experiment.  My first race isn't until May and my workouts, therefore are running under 45 minutes as of now (following a BT custom program).

How long is your first race? 'Sports nutrition' is generally just bad-tasting candy. Carbs (sugars) and electrolytes (salts), sometimes caffeine. If your race isn't more than a couple of hours you shouldn't need anything. For long bike rides, I've been known to eat fruit, cookies, granola bars, and sports nutrition like gels. They all work pretty much the same. I like gels for running because they are easy to carry.

As a side note, the electrolyte mix in sports nutrition tends to be overrated and more of a marketing ploy than anything. Find whatever source of carbs you like (I like Oreos and Chips Ahoy) and use those if that's what your stomach handles best. Most things have some form of salt in them.

It's a sprint...Everything I've read up on outside of this forum tends to agree with you in that anything less than two hours, there is no need.  Inasmuch as a lot of the folks who replied to this thread/query are more than sprint athletes, I can understand the responses I've received.  Luckily I have an iron stomach so for me it should be more a matter of "taste" as opposed to what I can/cannot handle.

2013-01-27 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4595419

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
halford_tenark - 2013-01-26 7:20 AM

As a Type 1 Diabetic I use Gels and Power Bars alot. It is an easy and convenient food that helps to keep my blood sugars where they need to be while doing these crazy training and endurance sports. I think of them as a gateway drug to enable me to do endurance sports.

I don't think I'd be able to do a marathon or my long training sessions with out them.

They also make a great way to get my blood sugars up from 25. They are portable and have a great shelf life so I keep some on hand for emergencies.

I know there are haters out there about my Blood Sugar Reading. I'm just quoting the glucometer I know of the 10 point variance. Please just realize that the GU's keep me going during training, long races and when I get a low blood sugar reading. That is the point I'm making.

Isn't nutrition the Fourth Discipline anyways?

Why would there be haters for a Type 1 Diabetic and their blood sugar readings? Did I miss something? Just thought that was a strange comment in an otherwise great post.

2013-01-27 3:46 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

sspicer - 2013-01-26 11:23 PM Thanks to all for the information and thoughts.  Lots to "digest". Smile  Being new (as stated earlier), I have time to experiment.  My first race isn't until May and my workouts, therefore are running under 45 minutes as of now (following a BT custom program).

Just follow the golden rule and don't try anything new the day of your race.  Figure out what works and what doesn't during training.

2013-01-27 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4596641

User image

Master
Central Indiana
sspicer - 2013-01-27 2:32 PM

It's a sprint...Everything I've read up on outside of this forum tends to agree with you in that anything less than two hours, there is no need.  Inasmuch as a lot of the folks who replied to this thread/query are more than sprint athletes, I can understand the responses I've received.  Luckily I have an iron stomach so for me it should be more a matter of "taste" as opposed to what I can/cannot handle.

Need is different from optimal.  Obviously many can and do go 2+ hrs without nutrition.  OTOH best data suggests performance tends to be better with some caloric intake after 45-60min continuous exercise (about time muscle glycogen stores are significantly depleted without calories).  Check out the articles on this link from American College of Sports Medicine on "Nutrition and Exercise" and "Exercise and Fluid Replacement"-

http://acsm.org/access-public-information/position-stands

Well-referenced (though technical) info without the marketing hype.

And +1 for "nothing new on race day".  

Edited by Oldteen 2013-01-27 4:38 PM
2013-01-27 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4596829

User image

Regular
NW Houston
Oldteen - 2013-01-27 4:34 PM
sspicer - 2013-01-27 2:32 PM

Need is different from optimal.  Obviously many can and do go 2+ hrs without nutrition.  OTOH best data suggests performance tends to be better with some caloric intake after 45-60min continuous exercise (about time muscle glycogen stores are significantly depleted without calories).  Check out the articles on this link from American College of Sports Medicine on "Nutrition and Exercise" and "Exercise and Fluid Replacement"-

http://acsm.org/access-public-information/position-stands

Well-referenced (though technical) info without the marketing hype.

And +1 for "nothing new on race day".  

LOVE IT!  I've merely glanced over the article and it answers many, many questions.  Thank you for taking the time to post.  My recommendation is others should read this as well.

2013-01-27 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

sspicer - 2013-01-25 11:05 PM New to Endurance sports here.  I noticed that folks here use them as does my "new" girlfriend who is a cyclist.  Everything I've read about the absorption rate, etc. seems to indicate that someone is just making money having sold a bill of goods to athletes.  So if you're a "user", do you really notice a difference in your performance or how you feel during and after your run/bike?

I don't use gels or bars during distances up to and including HM.  For my HIM training, I eat peeled and heavily salted fingerling potatoes up to within 1 hour of the run, and have some Haribo gummy bears between the bike and run.  I've taken to having one bottle of pure water on the bike and one bottle of cane sugar based soda (Hansen's root beer is my fav).  Water only on the run.

The human body doesn't store enough glycogen for the HIM to IM distance.  Fat, and muscle burning doesn't provide enough of an alternative if you are pushing your pace.  So you eat on the bike.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gels & Power bars; are they really effective Rss Feed  

of 2