General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » long time listener, first time caller Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-26 12:37 PM

User image

New user
Subject: long time listener, first time caller
Hi everyone,

For a few months I've been browsing the forums and reading the race reports. As I'm sure I will soon be asking for advice, I decided it was time to say hello. I upgraded my hybrid to a road bike last summer and after a corporate 5k (king of the hill) kicked my butt, I decided why not try swimming and make a go at a triathlon. I officially started my training in November with a 5k turkey trot for a running baseline. I focused the last few years before my training working on strength, doing P90x or some variation thereof. It feels good to shift my focus back to aerobic activity and I love the challenges the 3 disciplines provide. I've been hitting the pool 3x / week, running frequently, added in some core routines from P90x and started to add a pinch of cycling (think I need to try a spin class bc I can't find the motivation to ride my trainer). It has been a very humbling experience (especially the swimming) but I love the continual improvement and having a concrete goal to work toward.

I signed up for 2 sprint tri's (May and July) with the potential to join a friend (who did IM Florida last year) at the end of the summer for an olympic tri. Looking forward to continuing to improve my fitness, making some friends and having a blast.

Happy Training

2013-01-26 1:40 PM
in reply to: #4595691

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Subject: RE: long time listener, first time caller
Welcome to the sport. I'm sure you'll find the sport to be rewarding on many levels. Taking on a couple of sprints and an oly in the first year of tri is a great start and sets you up well for progressing to longer distance events in the future if you find the sport to your liking.

There are lots of great resources here in BT as I'm sure you've already discovered. Another is the mentorship forum for new (and experienced) triathletes. When I first started I joined a group. It was very helpful in answering a lot of the newbie questions. I still find it helpful after nearly 5 years.

Enjoy.
2013-01-28 6:52 PM
in reply to: #4595691

User image

Champion
Welcome!  It looks like you have plenty of time to get ready for your first sprint tri.  Just make sure you can keep hitting the pool 3x a week to make good gains and you will be fine.
2016-02-07 5:31 AM
in reply to: bryathlete

User image

ROTHESAY, New Brunswick
Welcome to the sport. I just came back to it after a long multi-year break. So I feel like I'm back to being a newbie as well. If the swim is your weak point, get some lessons or coaching. The swim is all technic, and proper stroke development will pay dividends. Instead of thrashing through the water you'll be gliding through it.

Good luck
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » long time listener, first time caller Rss Feed