General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding Apache Junction Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-30 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Riding Apache Junction
I will be running, not racing, the Lost Dutchman full in a couple of weeks.  I was hoping to get in a ride on Saturday (training for Leadman, and long term IM KY).  Looking for about 30 - 40 miles starting at or near the Expo or Prospector Park. I guess I could ride the course.  I seem to remember it has a pretty wide shoulder.  Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?  I would like to end up at my hotel which is on Gilbert Road near the Superstition Hwy, but can get picked up again at the Expo or Park.

2013-02-03 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4602132

User image

Veteran
Queen Creek, AZ
Subject: RE: Riding Apache Junction

It's Sunday already, but there's lots of spots out there to ride.  If you're still interested in a decent route, post on here that you are and I'll map out some ideas.  

I just don't want to waste time mapping all this out if your opportunity to ride has passed.  

Toby

2013-02-03 12:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Not passed, race is on the 17th s0 still 2 weeks to figure out a route.
2013-02-03 1:07 PM
in reply to: #4606471

User image

Veteran
Queen Creek, AZ

I don't know where the Expo is, but Goldfield road (north and south) is pretty good and has some rolling hills.  You can go east on Broadway from Goldfield and go to the end as it loops around some houses up in the hills and you can get a decent climb in and then have fun zipping downhill.  On the northern end of Goldfield, if you go west (left) you can keep going until you hit three roads and then take your pick on all three to go north (Idaho road, Ironwood, Meridian).  These will only (each) go north 2 miles until they dead end.  At the group ride I sometimes do (Two Wheel Jones is the shop...I don't shop there anymore, just group ride their rides) they will do each "finger" of an uphill ride, then turn around go downhill and go do the other two.

This will make more sense if you google map it and have a look.  I'm sure you're not looking to hammer the ride, and you could always just piddle around out there on the route of the marathon like you said.  Those roads have little to no bike lane, but aren't crazy busy with vehicle traffic.  There's rolling hills and nothing overly hard.

If you wanted to ride back to the hotel I would recommend Guadalupe to go west, but that's about 2 miles south of the freeway and parallels the freeway.  Going north on Gilbert I would NOT recommend.  I'd stay out by the expo and ride around as the closer you get to your hotel, the worse it will be with traffic and lights and crazy people.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

2013-02-04 7:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the info.
2013-02-12 3:45 PM

User image

Mesa, AZ

Two Wheel Jones and AzTriClub rides out there all the time.

You can see their routes and/or hook up with them here:

http://www.meetup.com/arizonatriathlonclub/

2013-02-13 7:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks AxTriDoc!  But, I have decided not to take my bike.  I think an easy swim the day before the marathon is a better choice than a ride where it would be likely that I would go to hard or too far.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding Apache Junction Rss Feed