General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for help with weight training for half ironman from veterans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-03 7:09 AM

User image

Subject: Looking for help with weight training for half ironman from veterans

I'm going to be starting my half ironman training this week and am looking for some help in regards to weight training. I have a pretty good plan that fits into my schedule for swim/bike/run, but it doesn't include anything for weight training. I know that I need to do some weight training, I just don't know what, when and how much.

I would be more than willing to email anyone my training plan if you have suggestions on when and what too do.

Thanks in advance! 

2013-02-03 7:48 AM
in reply to: #4606192

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Looking for help with weight training for half ironman from veterans
So I am a pretty huge fan of strength training and in general feel everyone should do some, but, what are your goals for strength training?  Without knowing your goals it's impossible to give you a plan that would suit you.
2013-02-03 11:47 AM
in reply to: #4606192

User image

Subject: RE: Looking for help with weight training for half ironman from veterans
Mainly I'd like to just keep from losing muscle while increasing my cardio output. I'd also like to make sure that I keep my core and other muscles used during swim/bike/running. I'm not really trying to lose weight or even bulk up. Just want to make sure that I stay strong while training to prevent injuries.
2013-02-04 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4606414

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

reverend5150 - 2013-02-03 12:47 PM Mainly I'd like to just keep from losing muscle while increasing my cardio output. I'd also like to make sure that I keep my core and other muscles used during swim/bike/running. I'm not really trying to lose weight or even bulk up. Just want to make sure that I stay strong while training to prevent injuries.

You will keep all the muscles you need for your HIM by swimming, biking & running.  Same for your core.  If you have any known muscle imbalances that lead to overuse injury, then do whatever supplemental exercises needed to target those areas.  Otherwise, it is exceedingly difficult to do ST in order to prevent the occurrance of overuse injuries (the kind you are most likley to incur as a result of tri training). 

Basically, you do not need to ST in order to do your HIM (or any tri).  Do so only if you want to, and you should probably have reasons other than hoping it will help your performance.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for help with weight training for half ironman from veterans Rss Feed