General Discussion Race Reports! » Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ventura, California
United States
Breath of Life Ventura
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 48m 22s
Overall Rank = 235/393
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 27/48
Pre-race routine:

This race is about an hour away, or so I thought. Turns out it's more like 1.5. Drove up, ate PB and honey sandwich and gatorade. There was a long line for the Oly check in... then a long line for the chip, then body marking, then goody bag (coulda skipped, but why?). So I basically had enough time to get my stuff laid out at the rack and go to the meetnig and the swim start.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 24m 32s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim looked a bit short, but the times seem about right. Not much surf to deal with, but there was some swell in the deeper water, making siting difficult. Luckily, there was a lifeguard boat at the buoy,

I never sprinted in this. Since it was my first Oly distance, i was just getting the feel for the total distance, and didn't want to burn myself out on the swim. I never really found anyone to draft off, but another guy and I were neck and neck for the last 650 yards, jockeying for position. I was right at the buoy line, figured it was the shortest distance to the shore, he was to my right.

Got out of the water in 22 or so, but by the time I ran up the beach and across transition it was 24 +. The beach run did not seem as bad as last year. #1 swimmer was in my wave at 18 and change.

Before the swim, one of our tri club members, Fory, said "Wonder how long it will take to catch you on the bike." He knew the swim was mine.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, perfectly happy with the performance.
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Decent transition. Some guy ahead of me left his rinse bucket and wetsuit RIGHT in the middle of the lane. What an a**hole..... Was pondering socks for the bike/run (usually go without), decided to go without. Everything went fairly smoothly. Slight problem clicking in.

On the way out, didn't go out of my way , but didn't try too avoid either, running the bike over a-holes wetsuit. At the end of the tri it was covered in grease marks :^

not much, just move faster.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 33s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.51 mile/hr
Comments:

In ventura county there is always a wind coming from somewhere, very little tailwind section. I decided, like the swim, to measure my effort. A few times I got into the 160s, but always backed off.

Lots of marshals on the course (first time I've ever noticed them). There was some drafting going on, but not by me. Got passed by a ton, passed a few, overall the bike felt pretty good, but slow. It's amazing how fast some people are. No idea of my time during, again it was an "exploratory effort".

hmmmmmmm.... no Fory

More base work.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Came in, decided to add the socks for the 10K so I sat down, again, nothing spectacular, just move faster

move faster
Run
  • 59m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Started the run, and amazingly didn't feel any heavy legs at all, first time that's happened. I just found a pace I could deal with and kept at it. My #1 goal was not to walk. If I could break 1:00, all the better. It was perfect weather, not too hot, not too cool.

Lots of people passed me but I kept the pace. I pushed this a little harder becuase it was 2 loops so I knew exactly where I was. I finally saw Fory about halfway back from the first turn around. He gained a little each turnaround until he caught me with 500 yards to go. beat me by 20 seconds or so.

Only time I felt uncomfortable was about mile 3.5, lower back started getting sore, but that went away pretty quickly. I took some water at every water station, and occasionally a gatorade. I didn't know my time, but I knew I was somewhere under 3:00 if I kept up that same pace. Turns out the 10K was a 35 second improvement over my only other one in February.

I DID NOT WALK!!!! :)

Not much, get more base
Post race
Warm down:

pizza, chocolate shake :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not enough base

Event comments:

This was my second sprint last year so I basically knew the course, and knew it was flat. After last year's race thought this would be a good first Oly, and it was.

My goal was 3:00, my secret goal was 2:50, and anything in 2:40s I'd be ecstatic. Needless to say I was! It's a fast course, so most people are under 3:00

This is a good race for a good cause in a god venue. I'll do ths one again

Last updated: 2006-05-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:32 | 1640 yards | 01m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/48
Overall: 0/393
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Ventilator
Course: Out 650, left 200, in 650, 400 yard sand run to T1
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:23
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:20:33 | 24.85 miles | 18.51 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back with two loops
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:59:15 | 06.21 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Course: Two loop course, flat along the shore
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-30 9:03 PM

User image

Subject: Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course

2006-07-01 2:33 AM
in reply to: #471581

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course

Well, I am impressed.  Breaking 3 hours in your first Oly is nothing to sneeze at.

Good Job!

2006-07-01 8:05 PM
in reply to: #471657

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Wow, Chris!!! What a great race.

It's been a privilege to train with you online for the last year and a half or so. Very cool that we did our first Oly's on the same day. 'Course I'll need to wait a little longer to actually compete in one.

2:48 and change, what a fantastic time.

Can't wait to read your HIM report.

Edited by dontracy 2006-07-01 8:06 PM
2006-07-06 12:24 AM
in reply to: #471581

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Well done ! I was also on the course but did the sprint version. I enjoyed the race and like you saw lots of draft patrol calling out numbers .
This is my second year doing Triathlon and all I think about is which race will be my first Olympic distance.

I love this beach as its less than an hour from my house. I just got my first wetsuit and I need more ocean swimming before I use it in a race. Plus the water is warmer than it was in March!
I swam the sprint without the wetsuit .
Nice report and race !
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed