of 3

2013-02-08 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4612666

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Subject: RE: Morning Training Motivation
TriGuy05 - 2013-02-07 9:44 AM

How do you all deal with the early morning training?  I have the hardest time getting up in the morning to get my training in.  My wife and I agree that if I am getting back into Tri's it will not effect my time in the afternoon's after work with my daughters.  Because of that I try to get everything done before work and during lunch on the weekdays and then early on the weekends and be done before they are really awake.

I have my alarm set for 4:45am on weekdays and 6:45am weekends.  I do everything I can to be in bed by 10:00pm...and am usually really good about doing that.  I just cannot get myself up in the mornings to the point of where I will skip workouts.

What tricks do you all have that could help?  Please tell me I am not the only one....

Just remember this:  "That other guy is getting up at 4:40 am to start his workouts.  That other guy is getting in longer swim sets, bike sets, more miles in those shoes...  That other guy isn't going to get beat unless you get your' butt out of bed and make an effort to do a little extra."

I always try and remember "that other guy" when I'm not feeling an early workout or for that matter any workout.  I don't want "that other guy" to beat me because he put in the effort and hours when all I did was think "oh I don't feel like getting up"

Just my .02c

2013-02-08 8:50 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

I struggle with this too - I got into a routine (group workouts had helped) but then if it gets broken very hard - ie this week

last weekend I had a long weekend with my kids in florida - it was a big training weekend for me but no dark o clock workouts.

so back home, set the alarm for 5 (or sometimes earlier) and though I woke up could not get myself to go swim (and swam later)

I need to get back to my early mornings - just was not happening this week

we could all text each other......

2013-02-08 9:27 AM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida

Put a baseball bat by the bed.  When you get up, if the Rack Monster starts drawing you in, start wailing on your bed with the baseball bat. 

It'll get your heart rate up, it'll beat the rack monster, it'll make you laugh. 

Note, do not do this if you have a spouse/SO in the bed...

2013-02-08 9:33 AM
in reply to: #4614232

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
GomesBolt - 2013-02-08 10:27 AM

Put a baseball bat by the bed.  When you get up, if the Rack Monster starts drawing you in, start wailing on your bed with the baseball bat. 

It'll get your heart rate up, it'll beat the rack monster, it'll make you laugh. 

HAHA, that is pretty funny...I think my wife who is not a morning person would not find it that funny though waking up to a guy with a baseball bat swinging near her, might make sure the guns are locked up first, HAHA.  Although we do have a temerpedic matress so technically she should not be able to feel it...

2013-02-08 9:42 AM
in reply to: #4614252

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
TriGuy05 - 2013-02-08 9:33 AM
GomesBolt - 2013-02-08 10:27 AM

HAHA, that is pretty funny...I think my wife who is not a morning person would not find it that funny though waking up to a guy with a baseball bat swinging near her, might make sure the guns are locked up first, HAHA.  Although we do have a temerpedic matress so technically she should not be able to feel it...

They should put that in the commercial...

2013-02-08 10:19 AM

User image

Veteran

That fact IS that if you are not a morning person, you'll have difficulties with the morning schedule.

Answer me these:

1. are you full of energy in the morning (right when you wake up)?

2. are you pumped up to do workout session right away or you just think about morning breakfast, making coffee to wake you up and prepare for work?

3. Are you feeling really good during early morning workouts?

My all answers to these questions are YES without thinking. But I am a morning person. I even find it easier to workout at 3 A.M. rather than 10 P.M.YOUR SITUATION IS A PROCESS THAT HAVE AFFECT ON YOUR COMPLETE BIORHYTHM. I suggest you don't struggle with the solution too long if you find it ineffective. You'll just torture your body.

But if you CAN change it, it will feel great. Human body is the most effective in the morning, after a good night sleep...

2013-02-08 10:20 AM

User image

Regular
it is a committment.  I am more of a morning person anyway and get up at 4:30 each morning.  My committment was much the same....my training does not interfere with my family time.  For me it as simple as getting up when the alarm goes off.  that means, no snooze button, no moving the time, etc.  Get up and get moving.  Not going to lie, the first week waking up at 4:30am was rugged.  Second was better and the third week was a habit.  Even on weekends now, a sleep in day is 6am.  Takes some will power.
2013-02-08 10:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Most of the "morning people" on this thread either:
a) go to bed early (before 10 p.m.) or
b) don't need much sleep (i.e. - less than 8 hours)

Must be nice. I'm jealous!! If I could function with less than 7-8 hours of sleep I'd love it. If I could go to bed early, I would do that too.

For my life, it's not realistic for me to go to bed before 10:15. Usually, it's closer to 10:45. If I could, I'd be in bed by 9:30. I love/need sleep.

So when the alarm goes of @ 5:30 - it's quite the struggle for me. I never feel energized in the morning. I'm not pumped. I'm not "looking forward to what the day might bring". I just want to go back to bed.

And whoever mentioned earlier in the thread the feeling that no one else in the world is up either nailed it. When I get up early - I feel like I'm the only one who's up at this un-Godly hour. It feels unnatural and crazy. "what am I doing this for?!" is the mind-creep.

But I do it. After my coffee and I'm on the trainer for 5 - 10 minutes, I'm good. And it does get easier - no doubt about it. I'm just starting to get back into the early morning routine. In a few weeks it will be a bit more "automatic". The sense of accomplishment is a motivator for me... and it's that feeling that becomes my motivation to get up... knowing that I'll feel better later... regardless of how I feel at 5:30.

Hang in there - you're not alone. If I can do it - you can do it!

Edited by Frank in St. Louis 2013-02-08 10:49 AM
2013-02-09 5:12 PM

User image

Ashland

So how many hours per night do you optimally need to feel rested? Maybe your just not getting enough sleep. I'd suggest going to sleep one hour earlier and see if that makes a difference. 

Then drink some OJ. The acidic nature of orange juice helps with waking up. 

Just knowing that you're not getting out of bed in the morning, although you say that's what you want makes me wonder if you're fully committed to the early morning workout. I tell my clients it's easy to tell if your committed or not. If you're committed you'll do whatever is necessary and if you're only interested then you'll only do what's convenient. 

Neither stance is wrong. Just be brutally honest with yourself about your level of commitment. 

2013-02-09 7:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
For me it is knowing that it is the only time I can workout. Similar to you, I leave for work at 6:30am and am busy until the kids are in bed at 8:30. I also alternate days with the Mrs. so if I skip Monday, I know I cant go again until Wednesday. It is still tough getting up but I am glad afterwards that I did. Knowing that good feeling makes it easier to get up next time.
2013-02-09 7:31 PM

If you find yourself questioning whether or not you want to train early, just make that determination when you are wide awake, not when you are warm and snug under the covers.  If you decide it is something you want to do, then just do it. Start moving your body before your brain turns on an figures out what you are up to. 

That said, 10 to 4:45 is not even 7 hours.  You may just need more sleep.

2013-02-09 7:46 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

It's taken me a while to do it, but I am finally a morning runner.

For me, it means:

1. Going to bed early - in bed by 9, tv off and phone away by 9:30
2. Clothes laid out the night before, shoes untied, water bottle in fridge
3. Something good on the DVR (I'm only running right now, and I don't run in the dark, so I've been mill-ing it a lot lately)
4. Think about how good I'll feel for the rest of the day!

ETA: get everything ready the night before for work, so I have time to run without worrying about making lunches, getting a suit together, etc.

Edited by trishie 2013-02-09 7:53 PM
2013-02-09 8:32 PM

User image

Master
Another night owl here.  I have been going to Masters swim for about a year now, so that has helped get me out of bed 2x a week.  The other days I have to make a firm decision the night before.  When the alarm goes off, and I don't want to get up, I remind myself how disappointed I will be later in the day that I didn't get that workout in.  That usually gets me out of bed.  How does that saying go, you rarely regret the workouts you did, but you will definitely regret the ones you didn't do.
2013-02-09 9:43 PM

User image

Regular

My morning wakes are at different times always depending on my workout for the morning. I also do a workout at lunch time. But nothing in the evenings during the week since that is family time.  On the weekends, I attempt to be done with my workouts by noon but lately that hasn't been happening. 

I guess it is a matter of desire if you want to get up and workout or not. I'm lucky somewhat in that I am more morning than a night person for working out. It seems that anytime I skipped a morning or lunch workout saying I would do it in the evening it never happened.

So place your alarm clock in the bathroom, get the coffee brewing and force yourself to get up.

2013-02-10 7:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

tomorrow morning is the another test.  Training schedule shows me to get up and go swimming in the morning.  The pool is near my work so it is a 25 minutes away.  I am supposed to be out of the house by no later than 5:30am.  Swim bag is packed, coffee maker is programmed to go off at 5:00am, alarm clock will be placed in bathroom. 

We shall see...I am going to use this as my accountability....

2013-02-11 6:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

I WON!!!  RACK MONSTER LOST!!!  Of course it is because I am a coffee slut..haha.  I will do just about anything for a good cup of coffee.  Knowing that there was a cup of coffee waiting for me in my kitchen I think really helped.

Also I can't remember who it was that mentioned about turning the light on in the bathroom when I turn my alarm off...that definitly helped. 

So day 1 down...lets see how tomorrow goes.

2013-02-11 6:51 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Yeah, I'd hate to waste a cup of freshly brewed coffee as well.  It would motivate me as well.  I've been getting up early so long now that my body just doesn't sleep in anymore, so I might as well workout.  Originally started as a work thing but now I just prefer the quiet of the morning workout
2013-02-11 8:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
I haven't read all the posts...but I've always held that "if it's important to you...you'll find a way."  I know when I was just training for fun and didn't have a legit goal...my morning workouts didn't always happen.  Once I have a distinct goal...I rarely miss a morning workout.  I haven't missed a 5am wake up call since the fall (when I started my training for IMLP).  Just my two cents!  How important are those morning workouts to you?  Make it happen!  Good luck...
2013-02-11 3:48 PM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
I love morning workouts. I absolutely love them. On a run, I love the feeling of having the city to myself. On the trainer, it's just different when the house is quiet and I'm in the basement jamming away. 

But, without exception, I have to talk myself out of the bed every damn morning. Every time.

It's all cognitive. I've never regretted a workout I got up early to do. I love the feeling of having my training done first. It feels like it's the priority I want it to be. It just feels amazing to start the day like that.

As I lay in bed, I remind myself that I love that feeling. Then I remind myself that I hate the feeling, just as much, of a missed workout. That sort of self talk just works for me more times than not.

I give myself plenty of time to ease into the workout. I set my alarm for 30 minutes prior to the start time I'll need to then give myself enough time to walk the dogs and enjoy a calm morning routine. I hate a rushed morning. 
2013-02-11 4:48 PM
in reply to: #4616000

User image

Mexico City, Mexico

bcraht - 2013-02-09 8:32 PM Another night owl here.  I have been going to Masters swim for about a year now, so that has helped get me out of bed 2x a week.  The other days I have to make a firm decision the night before.  When the alarm goes off, and I don't want to get up, I remind myself how disappointed I will be later in the day that I didn't get that workout in.  That usually gets me out of bed.  How does that saying go, you rarely never regret the workouts you did, but you will definitely regret the ones you didn't do.

Everything you said applies to myself word by word. That being said, I have found it extremely difficult making it to the 2x per week 7:00am swim workouts for about three months (I just missed it this morning).

2013-02-11 4:55 PM

Jackson, Tn

This is what I do.

I have two separate alarms.  One is a "training" alarm, one is regular.  The regular alarm has one of those gentle awakening sounds that comes on the iphone.  Use this for naps or mornings where I dont have a planned workout.

On days with early morning workouts planned, I set my "training" alarm.  The alarm is Eminem's "Till I Collapse".  I'm not a big fan, but I saw a tri youtube video one time with that song and it has since always gotten me kinda pumped.  I also have a screensaver come up with the alarm goes off with the quote "If it's important, you'll find a way; If it's not, you'll find an excuse".  Lastly, if that's not enough motivation, the night before I put my phone in the bathroom right by the shower.  I have to get out of bed to get it and I immediately turn on and jump in the shower.  After that I'm good to go!

Now that I type it out, seems kinda ridiculous, but it works!  Hope it helps.

2013-02-11 5:29 PM
in reply to: #4618053

User image

Payson, AZ
mrfarrar - 2013-02-11 3:55 PM

This is what I do.

I have two separate alarms.  One is a "training" alarm, one is regular.  The regular alarm has one of those gentle awakening sounds that comes on the iphone.  Use this for naps or mornings where I dont have a planned workout.

On days with early morning workouts planned, I set my "training" alarm.  The alarm is Eminem's "Till I Collapse".  I'm not a big fan, but I saw a tri youtube video one time with that song and it has since always gotten me kinda pumped.  I also have a screensaver come up with the alarm goes off with the quote "If it's important, you'll find a way; If it's not, you'll find an excuse".  Lastly, if that's not enough motivation, the night before I put my phone in the bathroom right by the shower.  I have to get out of bed to get it and I immediately turn on and jump in the shower.  After that I'm good to go!

Now that I type it out, seems kinda ridiculous, but it works!  Hope it helps.

you shower before you workout?  I got a time saving tip for you.

2013-02-11 5:52 PM
in reply to: #4618089

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
bzgl40 - 2013-02-11 6:29 PM
mrfarrar - 2013-02-11 3:55 PM

you shower before you workout?  I got a time saving tip for you.

I do the same thing...just jumping in and getting the water on me wakes me up...I don't go through the routine of washing before the workout though.

Tomorrow morning is day 2...I will win, the rack monster will not beat me...I will win, the rack monster will not beat me...

2013-02-11 6:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Irvine, California
I got some advice a bit ago, and it's to at least stand up and walk around your room before going back to bed.  I've tried it, and I'm 50/50 with it haha
2013-02-12 6:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Day 2...I won!!  Morning workout Brick...7.6m on trainer hard, 3.6m run medium.  All followed by a nice full flavored cup of coffee...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Morning Training Motivation Rss Feed  

of 3