General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Nation's Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-07 5:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Subject: The Nation's Triathlon : Official Thread

I realize this is a ways off.  But when it comes to logistics I like to plan ahead. :)

Is anyone doing this through TNT?  It will be my first tri through them and just wondering about the small details that usually get over looked.

Bike shipping, assembly, etc.

2013-04-16 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4613508

User image

Extreme Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Subject: RE: The Nation's Triathlon : Official Thread
I'll be in again this year, as long as they process my transfer from TriRock Annapolis...
2013-04-19 6:03 PM
in reply to: #4613508

User image

Regular
Newport News
I'm signed up with the Virginia Chapter.  This will be my second event with them
2013-08-15 11:55 PM
in reply to: cornick

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
So....... Any ideas what the just-announced new bike course will mean?

My first reaction was "oh no, competitor takes over and things get funky." I had a real love for the Annapolis TriRock event, but it was plagued with lcoal perit issues, which are apparently not unique to competitor. Annapolis was a problem for tris years before I hear. But still, I know there will be others who question how well things will go with a new owner of the race.

Looking at the course, it seems way more complicated than the previous map I saw, with more turns. Was it done to see more landmarks? If so, I'm cool with that, as the whole attraction to the race is venue specific. 2/3 of it anyway, not as if anyone just chomps at the bit to swim the Potomac.

But there seems to be a double-speak going on here, as a double loop means inherently a crowded course, in a race already infamous for a huge crowded field. S how is stuffing us into a double loop going to help? Does this mean more than twice the lanes will be available than before?

This is my first Nations so I am only going by secondhand accounts and hearsay of the past. but it does seem to be consensus.

2013-08-16 9:07 AM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Originally posted by TheClaaaw So....... Any ideas what the just-announced new bike course will mean?

Looking at the course, it seems way more complicated than the previous map I saw, with more turns. Was it done to see more landmarks? If so, I'm cool with that, as the whole attraction to the race is venue specific. 2/3 of it anyway, not as if anyone just chomps at the bit to swim the Potomac.

But there seems to be a double-speak going on here, as a double loop means inherently a crowded course, in a race already infamous for a huge crowded field. S how is stuffing us into a double loop going to help? Does this mean more than twice the lanes will be available than before?

This is my first Nations so I am only going by secondhand accounts and hearsay of the past. but it does seem to be consensus.

x2 on thinking course might be more crowded.  I've been lucky in the past two races since I am in an older women AG.  We go off very early and entire bike course is relatively uncrowded until the speedsters catch us.  I can't see how this is a better alternative.

Regardless, you will have a great time at this race.  It is right in the middle of DC.  You must walk up the steps of the Lincoln Memorial before sunrise while the town is still asleep.  Pause.  Reflect.  And then go do great things.

2013-08-16 11:12 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by hoffsquared

Originally posted by TheClaaaw So....... Any ideas what the just-announced new bike course will mean?

x2 on thinking course might be more crowded.  I've been lucky in the past two races since I am in an older women AG.  We go off very early and entire bike course is relatively uncrowded until the speedsters catch us.  I can't see how this is a better alternative.

Regardless, you will have a great time at this race.  It is right in the middle of DC.  You must walk up the steps of the Lincoln Memorial before sunrise while the town is still asleep.  Pause.  Reflect.  And then go do great things.

I did Nation's last year. I loved it and am doing it again with Team in Training. A few notes: I loved the bike course last year. It was flat and fast. There were many parts where I felt like I could let it rip. While it's a big race, I never really felt it was overly crowded...but I was also competing (with myself too). Since it's a TNT race there are alot of very inexperienced athletes there and many "just finish" competitors. I'm not saying this as a good or bad thing: the team I'm travelling with has about 10 and I'd say only 2 of us are really trying to go for a PR. Most of the others are trying to get through and just plan to enjoy the sites. On the bike course, I never saw any of these athletes outside of passing them in the first mile after T1 so it was never crowded for me. (I'm not fast, mind you..but I'm faster than someone on a mountain bike just relaxing)

I'm not too excited about the new course because it seems like there's a greater chance of running into congestion. I averaged 20MPH last year on the course and worked all winter on my bike and was hoping to be able to improve 2-3MPH but now everything has changed and I'm not sure. This course has far more technical turns on top of the traffic.

I'm not really complaining: as I said the EVENT is awesome ... it's just now my goals have to be adjusted.

2013-08-16 1:35 PM
in reply to: cornick

User image

Veteran
Maryland
How was the swim course?  Current strong either way, going up or coming back?  Was last year a time trial start as well?
2013-08-16 2:27 PM
in reply to: bgeyeguy

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Last year it was a time trial start.

A bit of background. I'm a "front of the middle" of the pack swimmer. I got into triathlon last year and was shocked that I struggled when I did a couple of races. I really struggled to adjust to the "mob" and had all kinds of problems in the first 800yds of the swim start.

The TT start at Nations was my first of that style. Every 5 seconds a new group of 5 dives in from the dock.

I enjoyed this because I got off the dock and I was off like a rocket. I quickly was 3-4 yards ahead of the other 4 in my group and got a good hold of my stroke right away. I was full of condidence that I didn't have at any previous race. I was able to pass many people without too much trouble.

I give that background because I heard after the race some comments about some current. It's mostly an "out and back:" course and going "out" was against the current, but I honestly didn't notice. I think it was because I had a flow of adrenaline pushing me through the first half of the swim and then was swimming with the current the second part.

The funny thing is, my swim time was pretty slow. Overall, the swim times were kind of slow so I think the current probably had something to do with it.

The swim course is a long rectangle and the 1st part is against the current and the last 15% or so is also against the current.
2013-08-19 9:58 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Expert
Falls Church

I like the time trial start too.

Last year I felt like I struggled against the current more than past years.  Especially after the turn at the last buoy...where you are swimming across current.

2013-08-22 9:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
What's your opinion of the bike course, seems like a lot of turns, stopping and starting back up again?  Was it crowded for a 2 loop course?
2013-08-22 10:17 AM
in reply to: bgeyeguy

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by bgeyeguy

What's your opinion of the bike course, seems like a lot of turns, stopping and starting back up again?  Was it crowded for a 2 loop course?

The course is drastically different this year than last year. Last year is was not crowded but I think this year it will be a different story.

2013-08-22 11:17 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by dprocket
Originally posted by bgeyeguy What's your opinion of the bike course, seems like a lot of turns, stopping and starting back up again?  Was it crowded for a 2 loop course?
The course is drastically different this year than last year. Last year is was not crowded but I think this year it will be a different story.

I think will be very crowded.  I am lucky in that I will probably go in an early wave (female 50+) so I will have a nice ride for the 1st loop but then...who knows.

2013-08-22 11:18 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by dprocket
Originally posted by bgeyeguy What's your opinion of the bike course, seems like a lot of turns, stopping and starting back up again?  Was it crowded for a 2 loop course?

I think will be very crowded.  I am lucky in that I will probably go in an early wave (female 50+) so I will have a nice ride for the 1st loop but then...who knows.

2013-08-25 3:36 PM

User image

CA
Hey all,

I am traveling from California to do Nation's. Does anyone know of a good place to rent a bike out in DC? Last year I flew out with my bike, but the cost has increased considerably and so it is not feasible this year.

Thanks for all of the help.
2013-08-25 4:19 PM
in reply to: smack

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by smack

Hey all,

I am traveling from California to do Nation's. Does anyone know of a good place to rent a bike out in DC? Last year I flew out with my bike, but the cost has increased considerably and so it is not feasible this year.

Thanks for all of the help.

Last year there was a tri bike rental company at the expo. I don't recall the name but I bet if you email the race organizer they could give you a contact. That seemed like it would be a convenient way to do it.
2013-09-06 7:00 AM

User image

New user
Does anyone have an update re the water temperature?

2013-09-06 8:39 AM
in reply to: shoop31

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by shoop31 Does anyone have an update re the water temperature?

77.3 degrees as of 0900 this AM.  Here is a link to the NOAA smart bouy site which gives real time conditions.  The bouy isn't in the exact spot of the race (about 8 miles down river), but will give good general info.

http://buoybay.noaa.gov/locations/upper-potomac 

2013-09-06 6:27 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Expert
Falls Church
If weather holds, looks like it will be wetsuit legal. Also, I was on the river this afternoon doing some stand up paddle boarding. The river is clear and water temp quite nice. Looking forward to a good swim!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Nation's Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed