General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Nokomis and Drowning Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-02 1:20 PM

User image

Regular
Rochester, MN
Subject: Lake Nokomis and Drowning
The recent drowning of a swimmer in Lake Nokomis had made me all nervous about doing my first tri...the lifetime fitness sprint in two weeks.  I've had enough pool/lake/swimming experience that I shouldn't worried about it but I am.  Can anyone tell me what the lake is like?....sandy, squishy, weedy. etc?  I haven't made it into the cities in a long time (I currently live in NYC) and I'm not sure how much time I'll have to scope out the course....thinking it might make me less nervous if I know what I'm getting into. 

Edited by dingorock 2006-07-02 1:24 PM

2006-07-03 7:18 AM
in reply to: #472206

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: Lake Nokomis and Drowning
i haven't swum in lake nokomis, but i know other bt'ers have. the drowning had nothing to do with the lake. unfortunately, the man who drowned was not really a swimmer and had taken a bet with a friend to swim out of the designated swim area. when panic set in, he was far from the guards.

lifetime is a huge event with TONS of support, life guards, etc. there will be people there to help you. on race day, you will be focused on getting in the water and starting your race.

try some self-affirmations if you are really nervous. i just started doing them re: race nerves, and it really helps. 'i am confident in the water' 'i am a mermaid' 'i am a fish' 'i float along the water' 'i am strong and well trained' etc.

best of luck at your race!!!
2006-07-03 8:22 AM

User image

Elite
I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe this is typical everywhere, but it seams like every year we get at least 4-6 knuckleheads who insist on swimming, fishing, boating, etc. without a life jacket and absolutely no idea how to swim. Well theres a whole lot more that do it, most just get away with it. But those 4-6 are the ones who make the news when the law of averages catches up to them.
2006-07-05 8:01 AM

Expert
The lake is very safe. It is true that we get a few drownings every season, but they are not from people who are swimmers. Here is what normally happens: 1st, someone who doesn't know how to swim takes a bet or dare to swim with a buddy or two a couple hundred yards (alcohol is often, but not always, involved). Then, that person begins to panic because they realize the don't know how to swim, and are only in shape to go maybe 25 meters. Finally, they attempt to tread water vertically, thrashing, and that is when they might get caught in weeds. That, then, creates more panic and a very sad ending.

I am a novice swimmer as far as triathlons go, but I've been doing just fine this summer in lakes where these sad cases sometimes occur. Your beginner triathlete is not going to drown... it is the person who has no business being any deeper then 3 feet who is.

Nokomis is a good swimming lake. And the Lifetime Fitness triathlon is 1st-rate with lots of support. If anyone during the race gives the universal help signal (turn over on to back and raise arm up into the air), I'm guessing you'd have a kayaking lifegaurd to you within 15 seconds.
2006-08-07 9:58 AM
in reply to: #472600

Plymouth, MN
mndiver - 2006-07-03 8:22 AM
  • ..swimming, fishing, boating...

• The other triathlon...
    2006-09-13 9:22 AM

Plymouth, MN
    Here's a site that everyone may appreciate. It's gotten very nice reviews.

http://triaids.com/

I'm hoping to be carrying it soon as well.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Nokomis and Drowning Rss Feed