General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironfit book by Fink training question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-14 11:38 AM

Subject: Ironfit book by Fink training question

In the Ironfit training book by Fink, almost every workout (if not all) has more than one discipline. Most days that have bike to run, he specifies the do a quick change meaning to work on your T2 and brick the workout.

My question comes on days that is a swim and bike or swim and run, is doing them as a 'brick' the point of these or is it just to get in the volume (time) on each discipline? I ask because I have thought about doing my swim in the morning before work and then the bike/run after work (approx. 12 hrs later) and I didn't know if that defeats the point of the training. I have been bricking them but but as the time of training is increasing, its really hard to fit them into my schedule and figured if doing both exercises is to get in the volume of both exercises, I could split them to make it work better for me. I ALWAYS keep the bike to run as a brick.

Please let me know what you think or if you used his book for training what you did and anything you would change.

Thanks,
Justin

2013-02-14 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4622319

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironfit book by Fink training question
Generally it's fine to split up the workouts as a matter of getting in each discipline, and some argue that splitting them up will result in better QUALITY workouts overall as well.

Only thing to keep in mind is that it's good to do some bricks to make sure you can make the transition from swim to bike and bike to run without issue, and imo the swim to bike brick is VERY under-utilized.

It *may* take longer to recover from a brick than from 2 separate workouts, but I haven't seen much actual data to support it.

As long as you occasionally get in the appropriate bricks and feel good, then feel free to break them up.  Better to get in the miles than to not do them cause you can't get them in all at once.
2013-02-14 12:31 PM

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc

Based on the way these workouts are defined I think the point is to do them back to back. I haven't looked at my book in a while, but I think he said "QC" stands for "quick change, less than 3 minutes." That tells me the point is to do the second one right away.  I also thought that a few of these fall on days with yet another workout, so you really couldn't split them up at different times of day, but I may not be recalling that part correctly.  

Though, you won't be wasting your time by splitting them and getting the volume in. 

2013-02-14 12:48 PM

User image

Veteran
I used Ironfit last year and if the workout has QC in it than you do the workout back to back.  those workouts were the best. I felt I made my greatest improvemnets because of them.....
2013-02-14 2:47 PM

thanks. i know the QC are quick change but those are mostly bike to run. i am asking about all the other workouts that he doesn't explicitly state QC. sounds like maybe the days i can do everything together, do it and if schedulng doesn't allow it on a non-QC day, i can split because i will still gain decent benefit from just getting the volume.
2013-02-14 7:45 PM

User image

Regular
I used IronFit and if it didn't say QC/brick explicitly, I did them at my convenience during the day.  Pool schedule only allowed so much flexibility.  I'm not saying I rocked the IM (I didn't), but I don't see why bricking ALL your workout would make you that much faster.

2013-02-14 9:30 PM

Veteran
I don't believe the swim/ bike days or swim /run days are meant to be bricks. Only if they have the QC, which you already know is it meant to be a brick. Like you, my swim workouts were generally hours apart from my other workouts.
2013-02-15 8:08 AM
in reply to: #4622695

User image

Veteran
If It doesnt day QC than the workouts are meant to be done seperatly not back to back, you probably would not want to do them as a brick bc the workouts are geared to help you improve and for that you need to give your body time to recover between sessions.  At least thats what I think.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironfit book by Fink training question Rss Feed