General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First real OWS made me sick. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-02 8:59 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: First real OWS made me sick.
Or was it the hills?

I was on vacation at Lake of the Ozarks, MO., and I can tell you that I've lived in Seattle and Estes Park, Colo., and the hills in L of the O rival hills in Sea-town -- they're not Colorado crazy but they're pretty crazy. Anyway on the first day there I got up and went for a five-miler up and down and around the hills by the lake. Later I wanted to test my new wetsuit and do my first real OWS, so I did -- about 250 yards, I'd say, off the boat and around a buoy and back -- and it totally freaked me out! The water was green and I kept imagining an alligator behind me or under me. Not good. Anyway I had no troubles breathing or anything -- it was all mental. Please tell me this will pass. I'm going to start OW swimming regularly from here on out and hope the fear subsides sooner than later.

Anyway later that evening I fell ill with what I thought was allergies only to come down with a fever and flu-like symptoms. It's four days later and I still have a debilitating sore throat. It didn't go well, needless to say.

2006-07-02 9:45 PM
in reply to: #472402

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Subject: RE: First real OWS made me sick.
Hang in there I am no expert be i believe it will pass as you get more time in the open water. I have a fear of biking on the road I was almost hit one morning a long time ago do I want big emergency lanes to ride on but the more I ride the better I feel.
2006-07-02 9:51 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
Could the lake have had a high bacterial count?  Yes, esp. if small kids swim in it.  Lots of wildlife in the area (deer?) may have also contaminated it, so that could explain the illness.  As for the 'freaking out' feelings, they'll pass if you keep at it.  Getting used to the wetsuit constricted/safe-yet-somewhat-immobilized feeling will help too.  Just keep practicing.  Going back to the same water, same lake as often as possible will help.  Good luck and hang in there!
2006-07-03 8:08 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

I think the larger/deeper the body the water the easier it is to get freaked out about it.  If available, try to practice in some shallower and clearer water where you can see the bottom and know that the biggest thing in the lake is a bluegill or bass.  I think you can train your mind the same way you train your body and work your way up to it.

Should we start calling you Crocodile Tony?

2006-07-03 8:43 AM

Subject: OWS sickness

From your flu/cold symptoms, you might have been sick before entering the water without knowing it.

Only one way to overcome OWS fears. Do it as frequently as possible.

At start, make sure you are not alone.

One thing I like that can be applicable if you have fear is to be followed by people in a canoe
2006-07-03 11:13 AM
in reply to: #472587

User image

Champion
Chicago
hangloose - 2006-07-03 8:08 AM

I think the larger/deeper the body the water the easier it is to get freaked out about it.  If available, try to practice in some shallower and clearer water where you can see the bottom and know that the biggest thing in the lake is a bluegill or bass.  I think you can train your mind the same way you train your body and work your way up to it.

Should we start calling you Crocodile Tony?

Don't call me that yet! Though I think I could take a croc if it attacked me. I'm tough like that. OK what's funny is in the local Ozarks newspaper on Saturday there was a story about a second sighting of an alligator in the lake. It's a good thing I didn't see that before going in the water or I wouldn't have gone in!

Well it appears I have strep throat. It could've come from anywhere. Our dogs slept in our bed while on vacation and dogs, so Dr. Know said, have a large amount of strep bacteria in their saliva. I WAS making out with one of our dogs so that might explain a few things.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First real OWS made me sick. Rss Feed