General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How often do you practice sighting? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-02-18 3:17 PM
in reply to: #4627164

User image

Master
Subject: RE: How often do you practice sighting?

RookieIM - 2013-02-18 2:36 PM

Practicing in actual open water would be much more beneficial, but in a pool, doesn't seem worth it to me.  

Respectfully disagree on this.  Sighting adds another motion into the stroke that already  takes practice to get right.  Not even worrying about the "seeing" part of it, just the technique of getting the head up properly without having the feet become an anchor is a skill.  And like all skills it needs practice and repetition.  Lots of it.

2013-02-18 3:54 PM
in reply to: #4626156

User image

Ann Arbor
I now sight very very well. 
I don't practice often at all.

However, when I do practice it, it's less about actually "looking" and more about getting a good pattern.

I make sure my breathing is totally independent of my sighting, and I make sure I sight every 3rd or 4th stroke like clockwork, and make it independent of my breathing so that when I sight, my mouth/nose can be submerged. That way, if I need to stay sighting for longer than a stroke, I can stay there comfortably.

It was like learning a new stroke.  I don't do it often, but I've found that I now swim open water very well. I'm already a pretty fast swimmer, but I can keep up with Olympic long distance swimming medalists for a while in the open water (and they are much faster than me) with my good sighting. They're faster, but I don't swim as far. 
2013-02-18 6:22 PM
in reply to: #4626156

User image

Thank you, All, for your input.  I'm definitely "directionally challenged," esp in the open water.  Sounds like I need to get in the lake (once the water temperatures are reasonable) and just keep sighting, swimming, sighting....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How often do you practice sighting? Rss Feed  

of 2