General Discussion Triathlon Talk » neck pain in aero position on bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-18 9:08 AM

New user

Subject: neck pain in aero position on bike
I have just started riding a TT bike. After a short time, I'm experiencing neck strain in aero position when trying to keep my eyes up to see where I'm going. Anybody have any suggestions for stretching, strengthening or other ways to relieve neck pain. I assume (hope) it will get better the more I ride.

2013-02-18 9:13 AM
in reply to: #4626584

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: RE: neck pain in aero position on bike

engage your core more

SOME neck strain is normal as you get used to aero but engaging your core will help take the weight off your arms and the tension formed at shoulders/neck

you might want to also make your position less aggressive (ie put more spacers in) as you get used to it

2013-02-18 9:59 AM

Is it neck pain, or neck discomfort? There is a bit of a distinction IMO. If it is pain, then you might want to address the problem differently than if it is just discomfort.

How stretched out are you? Are your elbows, when seated in the pad, below your shoulders or are they shifted to far forward? Is your stem slammed too much? Maybe a few spacers to raise you up a bit.

The best aero position is the one you will stay in, comfortably, for a long stretch. You might be able to achieve a more aero position, but if you wont stay in it long due to pain, then it isn't worth it.

Start less aggressive, as your body adjusts and the season moves on, you might be able to make adjustments.

Cheers
2013-02-18 10:48 AM

New user

I would say it is more discomfort. It really feels like muscle fatigue pain. I will try more stretching, using core more & adjust to a less aggressive position until I get more comfortable.
2013-02-18 10:50 AM
in reply to: #4626768

New user

I would also add that I don't have the pain if I'm just looking down immediately in front of me but just when I tilt my head up when trying to see further than 10' in front of me.
2013-02-18 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4626768

I would suggest hitting a yoga class regularly to get a good combination of stretching, especially in the shoulders/neck combined with the core strength and stability necessary for holding an aero position for long periods of time. 

+1 on finding a balance between an aggressive position and being comfortable. Most people's positions tend to evolve over time as fitness & flexibility improve. 

2013-02-18 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4626594

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
TriToy - 2013-02-18 4:13 AM

engage your core more

SOME neck strain is normal as you get used to aero but engaging your core will help take the weight off your arms and the tension formed at shoulders/neck

you might want to also make your position less aggressive (ie put more spacers in) as you get used to it

agree...core is fundamental to holding aero..

I also increased the spacer height on the arm rests and that made it much more tolerable.

2013-02-18 12:02 PM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA

Two points echoing the above, first make sure you're relaxed. If your shoulders/neck are tense then you're going to get more soreness. Also a large part of it is probably just general discomfort, which should go away. If you're now holding your neck at a larger angle than your used to it's going to cause some discomfort as you adjust. I'd recommend good neck stretches before and after riding(and during). And of course if it doesn't go away see a doctor.

Edit: As for recommendations on stretches: stand with good posture, spine aligned, shoulders back and relaxed. Lower your chin to your chest(keep shoulders down), slowly rotate your head clockwise around back to start then reverse counter-clockwise. Do this two or three times. While riding you can effectively do the same thing, ensure that it's a safe place and that you can hold your line, and try to keep your shoulders as relaxed as possible, any extra tension is just going to hurt you in the long run.

Edited by drdking 2013-02-18 12:06 PM
2013-02-18 12:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia

Currently dealing with this myself. I got my bike about 6 weeks ago and at first the pain wasn't bad, then it got worse, and then it got better, but didn't totally disappear. I'd notice it mostly when I was trying to sleep.

I just took my bike back to the shop on Saturday and they flipped my stem to make the position less aggressive. I haven't ridden it yet, but when I sat on it on the trainer at the store, I could already tell that it was much less of a strain. So we'll see what happens. I'd much rather be comfortable and less aerodynamic than dealing with neck pain for the next season.

2013-02-18 1:43 PM
in reply to: #4626771

joneskvn - 2013-02-18 10:50 AM

I would also add that I don't have the pain if I'm just looking down immediately in front of me but just when I tilt my head up when trying to see further than 10' in front of me.

I would guess that you are too aggressive too quickly. Stack the stem a little higher, maybe even flip your stem. As your flexibility changes and as your bike fit develops, you can lower it or become more aggressive.

Edited by phpeter 2013-02-18 1:45 PM
2013-02-18 2:15 PM

Or you are just trying to see too far up the road. 

2013-02-18 2:48 PM

User image

+1 to it being important to distinguish between pain and discomfort.  When I ride my motorcycle for long distances for the first time in a while, my neck hurts because it's holding the same position as aero but much heavier helmet.  It's not always a core thing, it's just those muscles are weak.  If sore, I would say that's normal and it goes away.  If in pain, that's a problem.
2013-02-19 12:08 AM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
If you work with a good bike fitter they can adjust your aero bars and arm rests to put you in a less aggressive position which will relieve some of the stress on your neck. They will essentially raise your arm position relative to your seat height. The result is your back won't be quite as flat and you'll be a little less aero dynamic, but being able to be comfortable while in position the entire race will more than make up for the slight loss of aero positioning. I deal with the same issue and with bike adjustments and training I'm able to stay aero without much difficulty.
2013-02-19 5:35 AM
in reply to: #4627768

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
lutzman - 2013-02-19 1:08 AM

If you work with a good bike fitter they can adjust your aero bars and arm rests to put you in a less aggressive position which will relieve some of the stress on your neck. They will essentially raise your arm position relative to your seat height. The result is your back won't be quite as flat and you'll be a little less aero dynamic, but being able to be comfortable while in position the entire race will more than make up for the slight loss of aero positioning. I deal with the same issue and with bike adjustments and training I'm able to stay aero without much difficulty.

Completely agree with getting a bike fit. It's not as simple as changing the stack height though... A muscle tightness in your hamstrings may very well cause neck pain... Tightness in one area will cause a shift of your entire body, and may require changes to an seemingly unrelated area....

Also, lower front is not always faster. There's two major parameters that will be effected, first power generation; if you set up the rider with too tight hip angle, you will lose the ability to generate and maintain power. Second, you will get to the point of negative return when moving lower, i.e. you can actually get less aero when going too low.

This article explains it well:

http://fitwerx.com/how-low-should-your-aerobars-be
2013-02-19 9:26 AM

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2007/09/road-bike-posture.html

This Joe Friel post explains two aero positions. In the first the arched back forces one to hyperextend his neck. In the second, the pelvis rolls forward and both back and neck are straighter. The second is much easier on the neck.

2013-02-19 9:57 AM

User image

Eastern Shore Maryland
Back to the same old story.....I had similiar issues while on my new tri bike. I went to a certified F.I.S.T fitter (Andrew Sink-Crofton Bike Doctor), the best $120 (and $50 tip) I ever spent. My FTP and comfort improved immediatly, I mean the very next ride. I would strongly recommend this this for anyone who hasn't been fitted by  F.I.S.T.. At one point, he tilted the saddle a little bit and that quick I could feel the pressure was removed from my shoulders and neck. You've got to get comfortable with areo or you not doing yourself any good with a tri bike...IMO. Good Luck

2013-02-19 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Good advice on here, but I want to focus on the fact that two of the people posting on here, including the OP, are new to aero. For most riders, going to aero will cause discomfort for the first 1-3 months, as you are not used to this position because we do nothing similar to it in our normal life's motions. If you haven't been fitted, then do that ASAP. But, also give yourself some time to get used to the aero position - you have muscle groups that are learning a new job. They will be fussy for a bit depending on what type of flexibility and conditioning you have.

It gets better
2013-02-19 2:22 PM

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc

joneskvn - 2013-02-18 10:08 AM I have just started riding a TT bike. After a short time, I'm experiencing neck strain in aero position when trying to keep my eyes up to see where I'm going. Anybody have any suggestions for stretching, strengthening or other ways to relieve neck pain. I assume (hope) it will get better the more I ride.

This is totally normal if you're new to riding aero.  It just takes some time to get used to, as aero is not the most comfortable position.  You're probably going to notice other areas that hurt too as you get used to it. For me it's the outside of my shoulders since I got my tri bike.  I had been riding a road bike with clip-ons and it took a few weeks to adjust, now I'm going through it again.  

Stick with it and you'll find that it takes longer and longer for your neck to hurt  and eventually it'll just stop hurting. You probably won't even notice, you'll just realize one day that it doesn't hurt anymore.  That was my experience. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » neck pain in aero position on bike Rss Feed