General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Used treadmill what 2 look 4? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-18 9:46 AM

Regular
Subject: Used treadmill what 2 look 4?
What should I look for in a used treadmill?  Is there a brand that stands out, or a certain feature to look for?  Do I want one that will fold up, or is that to flimsy?  It will be put in my garage, so right now space isn't an issue.  How much should I spend for a good used treadmill.  Can I get a good one for 600 bucks?  Thanks

Edited by whitecloud 2013-02-18 10:01 AM

2013-02-18 11:36 AM
in reply to: #4626665

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Used treadmill what 2 look 4?

I just saw someone comment elsewhere that you should look for a minimum of a 2.5HP motor.

I would think that you would want to do a test run on one before buying it as the belts can wear out and start to slip (I've worn one out before). A replacement belt can cost close to $100, so that is an expense you'd want to avoid if you can.

As for the rest, I don't know. I'm sure that others will chime in shortly.

For $600, you're half way to a very nice machine - like one of the newer ones that has support for iFit, etc...

2013-02-18 12:32 PM

User image

Expert

I picked mine up (a Pacemaster Elite Gold, I think they are now out of business) a few years ago off craigslist for $600 (maybe it was $500?  I don't really remember).  It's non-folding with a 3hp motor, and has built in HR and lots of fancy electronic controls that I've never used. Undecided   It did have a slipping belt, but 5 minutes with an allen wrench and that was adjusted.  There's really not much to a treadmill, basic machine unless something electronic fails.

Personally I'd focus on motor HP.  It's been a while, but I remember when I was researching them I decided to stick with something that had at least a 3hp motor.  Certainly there is more to a TM than just the motor, but you can be pretty sure that if it's got a 3+ hp motor, it's a quality TM in all other ways too.  Kinda like a bike, if it's got Ultegra from the factory, everything else is going to be quality too.  I wouldn't worry at all about all the fancy buttons and custom run profiles, that's just fluff.

Don't be afraid to go used, lots of treadmills sit in corners and are never used...  5 years old could be good as new!

2013-02-18 2:30 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada

start it up listen for any unusual noises it should be smooth and reletively quiet, get on and run, see how fast it changes speeds up and down check for belt slip while running there shouldn't be any or very little, a 2.5 or 3 Hp motor is nice to have ,check that the incline  works while running on it up and down and that it is smooth when changing incline, just access the overall apearance of it, if it looks like it was taken care of clean and not covered in crap then it probably was if its covered in dust like its been sitting for ages that can be a bit of a red flag but not always. check that the electronics are working , thats about it Maybe  pop the cover off the motor and drive belt to see how clean it is i there. , Some makes have a better rep then others but most  good brand name machine will generally all be pretty reliable. a 20 X 60 deck is nice to have as well.

I have an AFG 5.0 AT  definately not the highest rated out there but I have had it 5 years and its been flawless for me no issues whatsoever, Its a fold up 3.0 HP with an orthopidic 4.5 MM thick belt, I modded the deck suspension with full urethane deck bushings as well when I bought it, Its a very smooth cushy and Plush riding TM, you can run on it for Hours and hours if Your MIND can stand it. Its very easy on the lower legs and ankles with the mods as well. OH yea its built like a tank 450 lbs the fold up feature  doesn't effect it at all.

Edited by RRH_88 2013-02-18 2:39 PM
2013-02-18 4:49 PM
in reply to: #4627156

Slightly off topic -we got our treadmill at a garage sale ($80 bucks), being sold by a very overweight guy who should have kept it.  It was a low end model, probably about $300 originally, which had a thumb switch heart rate monitor and the usual selection of paces (up to 10mph at least) and inclines.  I think it was not rated for continuous duty and had a weight limit of 300lbs.  When we got it home, we discovered that it had an odometer feature if you turned it on with a button held down. The guy we had bought it from used it for all of 3 miles before he decided it wasn't for him.

I thought was very sad. I tripled the total mileage the first time I tried it.

Anyway, the relevant point (if there is one) of course is, it definitely depends on how much you are going to use it.  For us, it is a last resort when the weather is terrible.  We've probably put 350 miles on it in 8 years, so it doesn't matter that much how good it is.  If it were something I used twice a week, I would certainly want something much quieter than this. 

I think like a lot of things in the sport, you can spend as much as you want (for example, a friend just bought a $1300 treadmill that does declines, which is pretty cool) but it is a matter of rapidly diminishing returns.

Edited by north_north_west 2013-02-18 4:51 PM
2013-02-18 5:02 PM
in reply to: #4627376

User image

Elite
Cleveland
north_north_west - 2013-02-18 5:49 PM

I think like a lot of things in the sport, you can spend as much as you want (for example, a friend just bought a $1300 treadmill that does declines, which is pretty cool) but it is a matter of rapidly diminishing returns.

I've actually looked at a couple of those for next winter's Wish List, and not only can some do declines (up to 3% grade), but the iFit enabled ones allow you to map a course on Google Maps (or Bing?) and then run that course on the treadmill.... so, you can actually do race specific prep at home.

2013-02-19 7:17 AM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
You have to think of future usage.  Get one with the most hanging space for laundry...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Used treadmill what 2 look 4? Rss Feed