General Discussion Race Reports! » 13th Annual Scrub Jay 5K & 10K Trail Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

13th Annual Scrub Jay 5K & 10K Trail Run - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sarasota, Florida
United States
Friends of Oscar Scherer State Park / Manasota Track Club
57F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 36m 34s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M55-59
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:00AM. Coffee & toast with peanutbutter for breakfast. Headed off to race site at 6:15AM. Arrived at 6:45AM and checked in. Walked around to stay loose and talked with some friends.
Event warmup:

About 20 minutes before the start threw my jacket in the car. Jogged around to get legs loose and breathing and HR going.
Run
  • 36m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Entered this race to help my preparation for the Sarasota Half Marathon coming up on 3/17/13. It was a perfect fit into my training plan between two long run weeks. Hadn't done a stand-alone 5K for many years, so had no specific expectations.
Started about 2/3 back in 5K pack. Mostly stayed to right side to stay out of the way when taking walk breaks. Trail was narrow in some spots and got caught behind slower runners a couple of times, especially when 10K runners were passing on the left.
Started on a 3:1 run/walk. Kept reminding myself to keep head up and stride short. Shorter stride also helped on some of the uneven and muddy sections.
Thought I was taking it easy for the first mile, but split time surprised me; much quicker than expected.
Took a quick drink at the water station, but probably could have done without it.
Did the last mile without any walk breaks. Tried to keep focusing on my posture, stride length and turnover.
Didn't sprint at end, just tried to maintain strong pace through the finish chute.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing major. May have been able to push harder at the halfway point. Probably could have kicked harder at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bottle of water and walked around at the finish chute to watch for friends finishing. I started to get chilled so went back to the car to get my warm-up jacket. Went back to the park pavilion to get some food and watch the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lose more weight (standard answer). Better sense of pace; this was the first standard-alone 5K that I've done in many years and kind of forgot how to run it.

Event comments:

Well organized, fun race. Good food afterwards. Fit in well to my half marathon prep for next month.
Haven't done a stand-alone 5K for many, many years. This is the first since I started doing triathlons in 2004, so I'll call it a PR. :)
Had a blast. Think I'll be doing some more 5K's in the near future.

Last updated: 2013-02-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:36:34 | 03.11 miles | 11m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Mile #1: 11:02 Mile #2: 12:12 Mile #3: 12:29
Course: First 1/2 mile was on paved road through park, then turned off onto winding trails through state park scrub lands. Water station at start of mile #3. Last half mile was straight stretch down the paved Legacy Trail multi-use trail (converted railroad right-of-way). 10K runners started 10 minutes before 5K and ran and did a separate loop before rejoining the 5K course at about the 1/2 one mile point.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-02-19 12:47 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: 13th Annual Scrub Jay 5K & 10K Trail Run

2013-02-21 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4628557

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: 13th Annual Scrub Jay 5K & 10K Trail Run
Congrats on the PR. I think this one may have to go on the schedule, it looks like a nicely done event. Glad you enjoyed it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 13th Annual Scrub Jay 5K & 10K Trail Run Rss Feed