General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aquajogging Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-20 10:03 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Aquajogging

Last year around this time, I spent about two months in PT for knee pain related to biomechanical imbalance.  Got a lot of good exercises and a routine.  I hated not running for that long, given my training program, but I was too afraid of screwing up knees I'd really like to have for a few more decades!

I've continued doing the exercises (ok, some of the exercises!) nearly every day.  But my knee has started hurting again.  I'm thinking of starting to sub in aquajogging for some of my runs to see if that helps. 

Anyone else use aquajogging on a regular basis, not just for rehab?  Pros and cons?  Types of workouts? 

I've been looking up the research, which sounds like this is a good idea, but it's still mostly tied to rehab and while that's kinda where I'm starting from, what I want is long-term info.  My big goal for this year is a 50 miler at the end of October (run, not tri).

2013-02-20 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4629912

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Aquajogging

Here are some good links.

http://pfitzinger.com/labreports/water.shtml

http://pfitzinger.com/labreports/9wkH2O.htm

2013-02-20 10:36 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

I do. I usually use workouts based on the pfitz plan.

ETA: If what is causing your issues is an imbalance or a misalignment or scarring or some such, and not some transient thing... you'll probably end up needing to do yoru PT stuff regularly most of the time.

I have two sets of stuff I do--one for a labral tear, and one for a weak quad/extensive scar tissue in my left leg. And as big of a PITA as it is to do every day, if I stop...I can totally tell.

Edited by mmrocker13 2013-02-20 10:39 AM
2013-02-20 8:02 PM

User image

Regular

Thanks, guys!  I looked at the Pfitzinger stuff and will use it--no idea what I'm doing with aquajogging, so that's really helpful.

And yes, it's not a transient problem.  I expected to continue with my PT stuff for the foreseeable future; I just want to be able to run too

2013-02-21 2:49 PM

Regular

When getting close to race time I have used aqua running to supplement building up miles and feel that it works and worthwhile.

Yes it is boring.  Last year I started going over to my parents and watched videos while doing my running.  I get in the water that is over my head and wear a flotation belt.  I will run 60 minutes and sometimes longer.  I run regular pace for 10 minutes, then do fast pace for 2 minutes and then regular pace for 10 more minutes.  I do this cycle over and over again.  This was based on something I read that you really need this to get the most out of aqua running.  I do not touch the ground.  I know there are other ways to do it but this is how I do it.

I have found that the next time I run after aqua running I run at a faster pace.  I believe my cadence must be faster when aqua running and it causes to to have an increased cadence that does then wear off.

There has been studies done that aqua running will enable you to retain fitness.  I don't have personal data but gut feeling is that it works.

Edited by bartturner 2013-02-21 2:50 PM
2013-02-21 6:36 PM
in reply to: #4632098

User image

Regular
bartturner - 2013-02-21 2:49 PM

When getting close to race time I have used aqua running to supplement building up miles and feel that it works and worthwhile.

Yes it is boring.  Last year I started going over to my parents and watched videos while doing my running.  I get in the water that is over my head and wear a flotation belt.  I will run 60 minutes and sometimes longer.  I run regular pace for 10 minutes, then do fast pace for 2 minutes and then regular pace for 10 more minutes.  I do this cycle over and over again.  This was based on something I read that you really need this to get the most out of aqua running.  I do not touch the ground.  I know there are other ways to do it but this is how I do it.

I have found that the next time I run after aqua running I run at a faster pace.  I believe my cadence must be faster when aqua running and it causes to to have an increased cadence that does then wear off.

There has been studies done that aqua running will enable you to retain fitness.  I don't have personal data but gut feeling is that it works.

That's what I'm after--I don't want to retain fitness, I want to be able to build it using aquajogging.  And if you use it during build for a race and that works for you, that makes me happy   I'm honestly not worried about being bored; either I have a rich internal life or a high tolerance for monotony, but lack of changing scenery doesn't bother me much.

Thanks for posting this--helpful as the other posts were, this is more specifically what I was hoping for.

2013-02-22 9:20 AM
in reply to: #4632393

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

I'll add that I only land run 2-3 dpw. Last season, I supplemented it by either using the ET or by pool running another 2-3 days of the week. I absolutely think both those things increased my run fitness--not just maintained.

Now, would running itself be BETTER for raising run fitness? Yes. But I can't, so this is the next best thing. So, in that case I do think it was good for building.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aquajogging Rss Feed