General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovery week question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-23 11:47 AM

NJ
Subject: Recovery week question

I am currently following a custom BT plan I created.  I have modified it a little to fit my schedule and am working towards a HIM at the end of June.  My question is, I have a recovery week coming up this week.  No issue taking it easy, but due to life and work getting in my way this week, I only got to the pool once this week, and only ran once as well.  Had a good week on the bike trainer but the others were well below were they should have been.  My question is does anyone do a recovery week on just one or two of the disciplines and still train hard on the third?   Since I really had a recovery week this past week from swim could I take it easy this week on the bike and run (let my legs recover) and still have a big week in the water?  or will this cause issues later not letting my body recover totally?    

2013-02-23 1:00 PM
in reply to: #4634251

User image

Expert
McAllen
Subject: RE: Recovery week question
I write my own plan and just listen to my body. It depends on your experience in the sports. I don't have to worry about recovering from swimming at all because that's my background, so its easy to go hard there all the time without worrying about running and cycling.

However when my legs have a hard time keeping up with what I usually do, its time for a break. No intensity. Time spent running and cycling is 1/2 to 2/3. Then next week resume where I left off. But I can maintain swimming intensity, just no kicking sets.

Does that provide an alright analogy?
2013-02-23 1:04 PM
in reply to: #4634251

User image

Expert
McAllen
Subject: RE: Recovery week question
I guess the theme is just listen to your body. If you feel like you can push for the week, do it. It should only take ~3-4 days for a full recovery if you're working out less than 10 hrs a week (I read that from Joe Friels tweet. Its held to be true for me) and up to a week for more than that. Gotta factor in intensity level of course but its a general rule of thumb
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovery week question Rss Feed