General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lafayette Bike Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-25 2:25 PM

Subject: Lafayette Bike Training

Hey gang,

I'm new to the road/tri bike.  I've been training for my first sprint, mostly on spin bikes at reds.  I'm ready to get out on the road and practice going 18 miles.  Any suggestions for the best/safest places to do it in Laf?  I'm considering riding laps around Bendel neighborhood, but would appreciate any other suggestions.

Thanks

2013-02-26 9:42 AM
in reply to: #4636470

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Lafayette Bike Training
The Bendel loop is ok, but it's less than two miles around with stop signs. Will get old if you're doing any distance.

I do most of my riding in the northeast quadrant of the parish, either leaving from Acadiana Park on the south end of my loop, or from my house on the north end. When time changes we will have a regular Wednesday ride with a small group of tri club members. If you search the Routes section here you can find some routes that I have posted.

This should be the basic long route

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=25206

You can also search mapmyride for "Acadiana Park" to see a few variations I've posted there.

If you prefer the south side, a lot of people ride out of Sugar Mill Pond on Chemin Metairie and other roads to the south. Firefighter has a good southside route posted in the Routes section.

Let me know if you need more specific information.

2013-03-04 2:05 PM

Lafayette, LA.

Where do you live in Lafayette?  I ride both Saturday and Sunday mornings from my house; I'd be happy to show you some safe(ish) routes.  Shoot me an email at [email protected] if interested.

trav

2013-03-18 10:51 PM

User image

Youngsville
I ride at least 3 times a week out of Sugarmill pond on the Chemin Meterie.  I usually just ride to the round about and back.  If you park/leave from Rouse's it's just over 5 miles exactly to the round about and back.  It's about as safe as it comes when riding outside.  I would warn about the areas where they are constructing the new recreation facilities.  There tends to be alot of rocks/ dirt clods from the trucks.  If you need someone to ride with just let me know.
2013-09-13 8:15 AM
in reply to: jrobert788

I live in Broussard. Have not been riding much. Just getting back on saddle - registered for Ironman Texas in May 2014. Did it last year, LOVED IT. I ride in Broussard area. For long rides I will go to Opelousas, to New Iberia or to Abbeville - depends on time of day and the wind. Happy to ride with or show a new route to you. If you look on Precision Bike web site, scroll to the bottom of the page, there are many maps of routes you can view and print.

Frank
337-277-2714 cell
2014-05-30 10:06 PM
in reply to: jrobert788

New user

Broussard, Louisiana
I am also in the Broussard area recently moving back from Fort Worth. I have been looking for good local training rides and groups. I try to train Saturdays and Sundays and a weekly afternoon when possible. Anyone interested in getting together shoot me an email.

Mike
[email protected]

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lafayette Bike Training Rss Feed