General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Numbness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-03 10:40 AM

New user
Indianapolis, Indiana
Subject: Numbness
Hello, I've run into a bit of an issue after my first semi long ride on my bike. First, I'll explain my short background. Got into triathlons last year after I lost some weight and decided I wanted a challenge. Completed a sprint and am now looking forward to an Olympic on May 10th and a Half Ironman on July 13th. I've just started the 20 week program here on BT, and yesterday was my first 1:30 minute ride. I felt pretty good going over an hour, but after that I started to get a bit uncomfortable on the saddle. This is on a trainer, if that makes a difference. I finished up a total of about an hour and forty minute ride. I have had some mild numbness before in my nether regions, but yesterday when I got off the bike, I had more pronounced symptoms, mainly can feel anything on the tip, if you know what I mean. I still have full function, but not much feeling. I thought it would come back fully today, but it has not, although it has come back somewhat. How long before I should start freaking out? I'm plenty concerned, but I've read it's happened in other triathletes, so my question is how long before I make the call to the doctor? I've had a check up this year, so I don't feel it's an underlying problem, just not a good match between a new saddle and riding a lot longer. I've also looked at the ISM Adamo saddles, and I'm looking into getting one of those as well. Any suggestions on what to do and what to expect? I'm really disappointed, I've been looking forward to this HIM for a year now, and I can't afford to not be in my best shape. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2013-03-03 9:41 PM
in reply to: #4644238

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Numbness

Make sure you fit your bike and vise versa. My case was new bike (Stock) saddle very uncomfortable. LBS has loner saddles so test rode every single one untill I found one that fit my arse.

Each "Bike fitter" out there does thing just a little different so be careful the worst numbness I ever had was after I was fitted (lowered my saddle) 40 miles into a 100K game over had to stand most of the remaining 20 miles.

As far as time no number (no pun intended) it will depend... Mine went away after a few days but had some lingering sensations for a while but they faded..

2013-03-08 1:42 PM

User image

Eastern Shore Maryland
I had the same issues but I went numb after 20 minutes or so. I went to a Adamo breakaway and got a bikr fit with a F.I.S.T. fitter (tri bike). Problem solved, no numbness at all. Make sure you do something about it, it can be serious if left alone.
2013-03-09 4:56 PM

User image

Veteran

Get an ISM Adamo or another saddle that functions similarly. If you're sitting on one correctly, your "stuff" will be hanging off the front of the saddle and won't be subjected to restricted blood flow. This is something you don't want to keep putting your manly parts through continuously. You can eventually end up with permanent "sleepy pee pee" if you don't address it.

I personally had a terrible time with my stock Felt saddle. I had total numbness after 15-20 minutes with that torture device. I tried an ISM Adamo Breakaway and was in instant heaven. I can even spend 2 hours on the trainer now with NO numbness.

2013-03-10 6:47 AM

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas

Ditto, ditto, ditto.... Did I mention "ditto"? If you have purchased your tri bike, or you already own your bike, I'd first recommend a fit. 9 out of 10 times, that numbness will disappear following a good fit because it adjusts the way you are sitting on the saddle.

If it doesn't, you'll definitely want to invest in a new saddle, then have it fitted. Try the loaners first to identify which saddle is for you. Because after you buy it.... You guessed it, get it fitted!! That's the only way to find your optimum position for riding and the best adjustments to avoid pressure issues!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Numbness Rss Feed