General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ladies - What swimsuit do you love for lap swimming? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-04 1:58 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Ladies - What swimsuit do you love for lap swimming?

I'm really having trouble finding a decent racing swimsuit for lap swimming.  I just got one from Athleta, and had high hopes for it, but it's tight on my upper body (the side seams actually leave marks that last for 2 days), and it's loose in my behind.  I'm a size 12ish, but don't have a big butt, and have kind of a larger upper body frame.

Any suggestions?

2013-03-04 9:20 PM
in reply to: #4644909

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ladies - What swimsuit do you love for lap swimming?
I have a classic hourglass figure.  I've had luck wih speedos, nikes and tyr suits.  Nikes don't last as long as TYR and TYR doesn't last as long as speedo.  Right now I'm preggo and having a heck of a time finding a swimsuit that fits my new body shape.  doesn't help that I have a super long body.  Meh.  I have ordered one online that I'm hopeful will fit the bill.
2013-03-05 12:29 AM

User image

Delaware, OH
I love my polyester speedo. It's lasted almost 5 seasons now with minimal care from me. I normally swim 3x per week (ok, if you check my logs not this month!) and I don't really wash it, just wear it into the shower and send it thru the suit spinner. Not that I don't wash it but, just an example of how durable the polyester suits are. Workout speedos are ordered by bra size or one size smaller for a tight fit. I wear a 38C bra so I swim in a 36 size speedo. I prefer wide straps for pool workouts (sets) and skinny straps for open water. If your speedo came in a dress size, it isn't a workout suit, it's a "going to the beach suit". I feel that my Sporti brand suit runs long in the torso. It may be good for prego tummys. (never been pregnant so don't really have first hand knowledge). http://www.swimoutlet.com/One_Piece_s/548.htm#redirect=false&cat=54...

Edited by Aysel 2013-03-05 12:31 AM
2013-03-05 3:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Central France

I'm a "pear-shape" though my hips aren't that wide. It's more that I don't have much up top except for my fairly wide shoulders.

I've had good luck with Arena suits though their skinny strap and wide strap suits fit a bit differently (I have to size down in their wide strap suits). I like my suits to fit tight (all over) but they never leave marks.

I've also tried Funky Trunks/Funkita and find that they size big in the torso to the point that I don't wear the suit I bought very often. On my daughter, who is bigger on top than me, her Funkita fits her really well.

2013-03-05 7:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Roots brand are good for width, but not so good if you have any kind of a chest, as the "frontal coverage" reveals a bit too much on the side for my liking.  I'm hunting down another TYR or Speedo.
2013-03-05 12:12 PM
in reply to: #4646792

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I have both TYR and Speedos and like both, but I am differently shaped.  I have a big butt and wide chest

I think TYR has better top coverage.  My current Speedo is on the verge of showing a lot of sideboob, so I would guess that's a bigger problem for wider shouldered gals.

In TYR and Speedo both I like the polyester grab bag suits.   I get the 38, which fits like a 12 in my view.  It's not torture to put on, although gets slightly very slightly baggy in the water.  Not a problem, but definitely not a "speed fit."  36 fits great when it's wet, but I can't stand getting into it.  Sometimes I wear my suit from home, and a 36 would cut too much.  I have only ever tried the thinner straps.  The grab bag suits are also a great price! 

Like this: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/7422.htm

2013-03-05 12:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
omg those grab bag prices are ridiculous, and shipping to Canada is only $10!  SCORE!!
2013-03-05 3:48 PM

User image

New user

Does anybody have suggestions for a suit for someone who is short and wide? I have loved both Speedo and TYR 2 piece fitness suits, but I'd rather wear a tank and have never found one short enough in the torso for me. I'm only 5'3" and short-torsoed to boot with an hourglass/pear figure.
2013-03-05 5:31 PM
in reply to: #4647280

User image

Expert
BikerGrrrl - 2013-03-05 1:12 PM

I have both TYR and Speedos and like both, but I am differently shaped.  I have a big butt and wide chest

I think TYR has better top coverage.  My current Speedo is on the verge of showing a lot of sideboob, so I would guess that's a bigger problem for wider shouldered gals.

In TYR and Speedo both I like the polyester grab bag suits.   I get the 38, which fits like a 12 in my view.  It's not torture to put on, although gets slightly very slightly baggy in the water.  Not a problem, but definitely not a "speed fit."  36 fits great when it's wet, but I can't stand getting into it.  Sometimes I wear my suit from home, and a 36 would cut too much.  I have only ever tried the thinner straps.  The grab bag suits are also a great price! 

Like this: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/7422.htm

Interesting about the side boob on the speedo.  I wore my old speedo for the first time in a few years last week in hopes that it would fit my belly a little better and I was so self concious of the side boob the entire swim, I thought for sure my boobs were on the verge of falling out.  I have been swimming in TYR suits consistently for the last 4 years, so perhaps I'm just not used to the speedo fit anymore?

2013-03-05 11:14 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
I agree about the side boob on the thin strap speedo- the thick strap has way more boob coverage. It's why I like the thick straps for pool workouts. I prefer thin straps for open water because sometimes for workouts over 2,000 yds the thick straps chaf my neck. That and a little side boob is tame compared to what I see at the lake!
2013-03-05 11:49 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Speedo Poly FLYBACK suits.  The FLYBACK styles are the most secure IMHO.  I don't like the thick straps...so the flyback is like the perfect compromise for me.  I wear a size 16 in most womens clothes and my speedo size is a 40.

I would avoid the Extreme back...LOOKS super cool but offers ZERO support for the ladies.  I fall out of this suit if I do anything but lay around in it.

Swimoutlet has speedo endurance grab bag suits for pretty reasonable.  Sometimes I get lucky and it's the flyback...but once in awhile I end up with the useless extreme back.  I wish they would narrow the grab bag suits down to a specific style and just make the color/pattern random.  I should send them that suggestion.  It wouldn't be such a big deal for me if the extreme back wasn't so darn useless as a training suit!

2013-03-08 7:52 AM

I'm an extreme pear shape and always have been, even when I was thin. Some (possibly most) swimsuit manufacturers make suits for large upper body types, but none exist for pears, so I started making my own about 10 years ago and have never looked back. The last few years I've been making them with legs, about an 8" inseam. The top half was drafted from my favorite Kwik Sew princess seam suit, the bottom from an out of print Kwik Sew underwear pattern with a central panel, modified so that the panel seams meet the upper suit seams.

Making suits isn't as hard as most people think, but if you don't want to go that route, one option is to buy a suit to fit the biggest part of you and have it altered to fit the smallest. Any seamstress who does dance wear should be able to do it. Make sure it's a really long-lasting polyester one, you wouldn't want to be paying for alterations every 2 or 3 months. You could even get a custom fit suit from such a seamstress if you really can't get a good fit from the rack. It would cost a lot more, of course.

2013-03-08 6:54 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
That is so awesome, Seabeast!  I know that kwik sew pattern- I use it to make superhero costumes.  Where do you get your spandex?
2013-03-08 8:14 PM

I use a polyester PBT fabric that I bought from the now-defunct Textile Outfitters. I don't know where I'll get it now that they're gone out of business. There are a few online sources, but they usually have limited selection.

If I do go back to lycra, it's easy enough to get from fabric stores, both online and brick and mortar. I prefer the PBT, it's easier to work with and lasts longer.

2013-03-11 6:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
I bought these suits from swim outlet.com 2 years ago and they are still going strong. I swim 3 times per week in the winter and 4-5 times a week during the summer. I love them, they fit great and offer coverage and support. http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/7553.htm.
2013-03-12 11:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Nice conservative coverage!  Just wish it were patterned to distract from my, um, food baby!   Those look great!

2013-03-12 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4656661

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
pilot_e - 2013-03-12 12:23 PMNice conservative coverage!  Just wish it were patterned to distract from my, um, food baby!   Those look great!
They have patterned ones too. http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/41419.htm
2013-03-19 2:48 PM

User image

Expert
Montana
TYR Polyester Splice (Alliance). I love my suit! I wore my first one so long that I got tired of it. Bought another one just for the change!
2017-04-25 10:16 AM
in reply to: Shoeless

User image

Originally posted by Shoeless

TYR Polyester Splice (Alliance). I love my suit! I wore my first one so long that I got tired of it. Bought another one just for the change!

I have the Alliance Splice as well as the Phoenix Splice (which of the two I prefer). The Phoenix comes in Maxfit as well as Diamond fit. the Durafast suits last longer.

I'm 5'2" and while the length is a little long, it allows for more room and coverage on top.
2017-04-25 12:29 PM
in reply to: MoniqueGriffith

User image

Utah
I usually just buy the grab bag suits on Swim Outlet, however my favorite suit is the Speedo Aquablade. No drag, and wears well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ladies - What swimsuit do you love for lap swimming? Rss Feed