General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clip-ons vs tri bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-06 5:26 AM

User image

Subject: Clip-ons vs tri bike

So I have a Specialized Allez road bike that is seven years old.  Would love to upgrade to a tri bike but am concerned about comfort.  I bought a set of clip-on aero bars and basically can't use them.  the problem is in my hips/groin.  I simply can't pedal for any prolonged time without my hips tightening up and fatiguing right away. 

Would you expect that a tri bike would be better or the same.  I would hate to spend $2200 on a Felt B16 and sell my $400 allez only to realize that I can't get they benefit of the aero position at all.

Is this a common problem that just takes getting used to or is it a fit issue and will resolve with a proper bike fit.

Am going to go today to the bike shop to see if I can sit on a trainer on the bike for 10 minutes to see if there is a difference.

Thanks in advance

2013-03-06 6:03 AM
in reply to: #4648187

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Clip-ons vs tri bike

Sounds like a more of a fit issue to me.  I've got a set of clip-ons on my Cannondale road bike and worked with my fitter to get a compromise set-ups that is comfortable either riding on the hoods or the aerobars.

Aerobars will take some getting used to, but it shouldn't take more than a few rides if you have a good fit.

Mark

2013-03-06 7:17 AM

User image

Middle Georgia

assuming after such a long time, you've addressed any glaring fit issues on the roadbike

position takes time to get used to

new muscle groups engaged also take time to get used to

usually a roadbike with clip ons is less aggressive than a TT bike, so I'd expect more comfort issues with a TT bike

but again, some of this may by just related to the new posture 

2013-03-06 7:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

Good idea to try aerobars on the trainer.

Can you be more specific where and how your "hips/groin" hurt and/or tighten up?

2013-03-06 7:59 AM

User image

To be more accurate - my hip flexors, top of the quads.  I'll admit that I am not as flexible as I should be AND  my belly isn't as flat as it ought to be.  I'll keep riding on the trainer and hopefully will become more comfortable with the position.
2013-03-06 8:05 AM
in reply to: #4648284

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

djmtrier - 2013-03-06 7:59 AM To be more accurate - my hip flexors, top of the quads.  I'll admit that I am not as flexible as I should be AND  my belly isn't as flat as it ought to be.  I'll keep riding on the trainer and hopefully will become more comfortable with the position.

Try playing with seat position maybe. 

2013-03-06 8:11 AM
in reply to: #4648294

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

That really sounds like a fit issue to me.   If you were genetically unable to ride in aero position I would be really surprised  

I think trying to sit on the tribike for a while is a good idea.  ANd it might be that the Felt isn't the right choice either.  I would explain your worries to the bike shop person, too.  Ask them what they do to determine if the fit is correct.  See if you can determine if they know what they are talking about.

My hope is that you sit on the other bike and say "Wow, this feels totally different from the get go" and you'll know.  If it feels the same... well, I'd probably at least try a few other bikes and have them try to fit you.

When you're riding the bike, you should be using your glutes for the major strength, not your quads, so if you're feeling a lot of work going on there you definitely have a fit issue (aerobar or not).

2013-03-06 8:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
There was a guy here by the name of Dave Luscan that said that if you can touch your knees, then you're capable of riding in an aerodynamic position.  If you can touch your knees, but your position is uncomfortable then your seat is too high/low, needs to be slid forward or back, or your bike's stack and reach is so far off what you need that it won't work.
2013-03-06 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
You might try moving the seat forward a bit (raise it up to ensure the same "seat height" from the center of the BB).
2013-03-06 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

I just bit the bullet and paid something like $130 to have a good fitter fit the aerobars to my road bike.  That was a couple years ago on my old Marin roadie and it worked wonders.  Easily did 3+ hour bike rides with no discomfort.

The two positions on the same bike can be quite different.  I currently ride a Felt F75 and was originally fitted for the road position.  Last month I decided to go the aerobar route and that resulted in a FF seatpost, a new stem with the new aerobar setup.

If your main goal is having a fast bike leg in Tri's then you will want the bike optimized for the aero position.  The setup should result in you being comfortable for long periods of time, i.e. without having to sit up.  When you sit up you totally lose the aero gains.

2013-03-06 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4648358

User image

Regular
Texas
reecealan - 2013-03-06 9:07 AM

I just bit the bullet and paid something like $130 to have a good fitter fit the aerobars to my road bike.  That was a couple years ago on my old Marin roadie and it worked wonders.  Easily did 3+ hour bike rides with no discomfort.

The two positions on the same bike can be quite different.  I currently ride a Felt F75 and was originally fitted for the road position.  Last month I decided to go the aerobar route and that resulted in a FF seatpost, a new stem with the new aerobar setup.

If your main goal is having a fast bike leg in Tri's then you will want the bike optimized for the aero position.  The setup should result in you being comfortable for long periods of time, i.e. without having to sit up.  When you sit up you totally lose the aero gains.

I second this. I have an Allez as well, and it had clip-ons when I got it that were pretty much useless (couldn't get comfortable in them). I forked over the $115 to have a fit done, and they put on a new stem and brought the aeros in a lot, lowered them, etc. Now, I use them almost exclusively when riding.

2013-03-06 5:51 PM

User image

Thanks all.  Looks like I'm paying for a proper fit.  Will update when done.
2013-03-06 6:10 PM
in reply to: #4649295

User image

Regular

Yes proper fit would be the best place to start. I have aerobar clip on on my road bike (same as yours). I got fitted to them and prefer to ride my road bike that way. My tri bike is more aggressive in aero and slowly but surely I am becoming more comfortable riding those 3+ hour rides on it. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clip-ons vs tri bike Rss Feed