General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to swimming - any thoughts on masters programs? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-11-27 8:56 AM

Subject: New to swimming - any thoughts on masters programs?
I am new to triathlons and want to start training for my first one. I have done 8 marathons, I have a great road bike. My weakness is swimming (as for the majority), and I know good technique in swimming is going to be important. I was thinking of starting a masters swimming program, which I think are more technique oriented in teaching swimming. I have never been a swimmer, treading water and doggy paddle are my strengths! Any advice on how to get into swimming in terms of lessons, or thoughts on the masters program if anyone reading this has done it? I feel like I may not have even the minimum amount of swimming ability to do a masters program.

2003-11-27 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2128

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: New to swimming - any thoughts on masters programs?

i hear the masters programs r great.  it wont hurt to hang out and talk with some of them.  with your marathon experience and having a really cool road bike may show them that your not messing around.  could be that they will be open to newcomers or somebody will take u under their wing....errr...fins...(that wasn't really funny was it?)

2003-11-28 7:45 PM

User image

New user

A masters program is a great place to start. Your first priorty is technique. Breathing and balance at first. It will pay big to pay for private lessons and learn to swim properly first rather than learning the wrong way and then having to un-learn and re-learn.

Rich
www.fit2tri.com
2003-11-29 8:12 PM

New user

Melbourne, Australia
Hi corra,

I'm a masters swimmer just moving across to triathlons (I'm sick of looking at the black line at the bottom of the pool), so maybe I can help out.

The Masters swimming clubs that I have been with have catered for all levels of swimming ability, so I think it would a great idea to go along and see what they have to offer. There is nothing better than having an experienced swimming coach there to help you with your technique.

Another alternative is to have a look at the Total Immersion web site (www.totalimmersion.net). It is geared towards beginners, they even offer swimming workshops especially for triathletes from non-swimming backgrounds (http://www.totalimmersion.net/tri-camps-p1.html).

Hope this helps,

Richard.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to swimming - any thoughts on masters programs? Rss Feed