Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Update on my dog Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-08 8:03 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Subject: Update on my dog

For those who care :-) (Sorry to waste bandwidth :p)

So, Sampson was diagnosed with osteosarcoma on Wednesday; we chose to have his leg amputated yesterday. He is an akita cross (dad=akita, mom=GSD/Dobie--and they actually both died of osteosarcoma), almost 13 years old, and my baby <3

He came through the surgery just fine--no issues at all (always a concern when you have a geriatric dog with a heart murmur undergoing anesthesia). They did have to give him morphine, which like many of the spitz/arctic breeds, he always has a poor reaction to and we generally avoid. I stopped in to see him on my way home last night, and he was super doped, and howling like a maniac. If you've ever had a dog who gets morphine crazies (or a person, for that matter), it's a disturbing sight. Very wild-eyed, confused, and terrible, terrible yowling/howling/yelping. Add to it he couldn't get up, and didn't seem to understand why, and all the other dogs in the kennels weer going insane... eh, it was hard to see.

BUT--he had just gotten a sedative, and would be asleep soon. Plus, morphine crazies, while painful for US...don't really stick in their minds, so he'll be fine, once that wears off and we can scale him back to less potent painkillers.

Unless something strange happens today, he should be ready to go home tonight. I busted out the baby gates (he will be PIZZED he has to stay on the main level. Normally he spends all his time A) on the basement couch, B) on the loft landing looking out through the windows, or C) in our bedroom. But toughskie schnitzkies. Until he can figure out how to pee without faceplanting, he's not ready for two flights of stairs every time he wants a prime nap spot.), and bought a bunch of rubber-backed throw rugs (mmmm...$7 Fleet Farm throw rugs...VERY attractive accessory to the room) to make trails everywhere, and made him a sling out of a running warehouse shopping bag (he also has a new Ruffwear harness with handle, but can't have it until the incision is healed).

So...I think we are ready for him to come home :-) It will be an adjustment, and poor DH, who just got done with six+ weeks of my clomping/limping will now have to deal with it from a dog, but... :D

Thank you to all the tripod-doggie supporters and other peeps who have offered well wishes :-)

2013-03-08 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4651454

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Update on my dog
He is a lucky dog to have such caring and thoughtful owners. Thanks for the update. I was wondering about him on my run this morning.
2013-03-08 8:27 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
I was thinking the same thing (except for the run part). I have a champ pictured to the left that may be in a similar situation soon. So dutifully taking notes here. Thanks for the update and please let me know if you one day you consider taking in humans. 
2013-03-08 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
So glad to hear that the surgery went well, and he'll be home soon. His recovery will be challenging, but you will all get through it together and get additional quality time when he gets used to his new normal.  I totally understand what you mean about the morphine crazies.  I witnessed that with Barkley a few years ago, and it was disturbing to see her that way.  It was temporary, and after her recovery, we had an additional 3+ years together.    He'll be more like himself the next time you see him.   Best wishes for a successful recovery.  Positve healing thoughs coming to Sampson, and supportive thoughts to you and your husband!
2013-03-08 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4651513

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

gr33n - 2013-03-08 8:27 AM I was thinking the same thing (except for the run part). I have a champ pictured to the left that may be in a similar situation soon. So dutifully taking notes here. Thanks for the update and please let me know if you one day you consider taking in humans. 

Well, we seem to take in every animal that wanders by, so a random person probably wouldn't get noticed much. :p

Your poor pup--what happened to him? ACL? Or cancer? Car accident?

I will say, for us, the decision to amputate was not a hard one at all. Animals are VERY resilient creatures. SAM doesn't care that he only has three legs. Life is what it is for him. There's pain, and it's a bad day (I want to sleep leave me alone I hurt and nothing is fun). And then, there's no pain, and it's a good one (LIFE IS GOOD! LET'S EAT POOP! YAY!) Animals are remarkably adaptable b/c they don't give two sh1tz about regret or how other people see them or what they CAN'T do anymore.

He had no (apparent) lung mets, and although he is older, he was otherwise happy and healthy. Taking the leg off gives him a few more pain-free months. Maybe it's two, maybe it's six. Maybe we'll REALLY beat the odds and get 12. Had he had mets, it would have been a harder decision...but in this case, it was a relatively inexpensive thing to do for him, and it took away his pain.

2013-03-08 8:42 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Glad to hear the good news about Sampson and I hope by now his morphine madness is a non-memory!

2013-03-08 3:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Glad it worked out as well as possible.  He has good people to take care of him!
2013-03-08 3:56 PM

User image

Master
Albuquerque
Glad he's on the mend and hope for the best for him. 
2013-03-08 4:05 PM

User image

Pro
Thats great news. I have a tri-pod black lab. She gets around perfect and is 14 years old now.
2013-03-08 5:04 PM

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin

Great to hear!  Lots of dogs act a little dysphoric with injectable narcotics and some (especially some nordic breeds) sure howl like crazy.  They all fare better when transitioned to oral analgesics.    And as mentioned, often these OSA dogs are painful and already favoring the affected limb -  so the transition to walking on three legs after an amputation usually isn't a big deal to them.  Best to you both!

PS - My 13 year-old tri pod  pit bull has been a tri pod for 13 years (since he was 3 months old!)...still going strong

2013-03-08 9:08 PM

User image

Master
Yay!  Well, except for the crazies.  I find the northern breeds worst for that--even without morphine they often sing on recovery...  Glad to hear you have the house all ready for him to come home.  He (and all your fur-kids) are very lucky to have you as his pet-parents! 

2013-03-09 9:59 AM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Hope to hear an update soon!

I don't always appreciate the mischievousness of our furries...but don't know life without them now! Our thoughts are with you all!

Edited by lkct01234 2013-03-09 9:59 AM
2013-03-09 10:56 AM
in reply to: #4653041

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

Again: Thank you for all the vibes! I know they help :-) So, here's the rundown so far:

After the first hour of having him home, I was ready to pull my hair out, cry, yell, or all of the above. It was hard. Frustrating watching him struggle. Frustrating he won't listen and is SO not tractable (typical akita behavior..."I do what *I* want. I don't CARE if it's painful to sit face down in the snow. YOU don't tell me to come inside. *I* tell me." ). Frustrating I have to try and wrangle my other dog who wants to tear his throat out (dominance issues, much?). Frustrating b/c it hurts me to have him hurt, and b/c he IS old, and he IS only going to have a few, six, 12, more months with us b/c of the cancer so of course I worry I cocked up with this decision. And that's all in an hour. :p

ANYWAY: We have no drains or no bandages, so that makes it a bit easier than some folks have it. I slept on the floor in the living room with him last night--not that anyone actually slept. He just whimpered and shook ALL. NIGHT. By 5-6 AM, he was crying out loud again. He finally drifted off at like 7 AM or so for a bit. The only time he calmed a bit was when I'd put a hand on him, which is why I KNOW he was freaked, b/c he's just not a touchy-touchy sort of dog (again, with the akita personality--loves his people, loves being NEAR you, just not a snuggler. NO TOUCHING!). He got his piroxicam this AM at like 8:30 with his breakfast, and went out to pee, and is sleeping now.

And I know from what everyone has said the phases we''ll go thourgh, and I know it's not unusual...but it's a lot easier to think about IN THEORY than it is to see in practice. We are at that stage where he just looks miserable and is shuffling about...and even though I KNOW I did the right thing, it sure doesn't seem like it right now.

BUT he is home, and this will pass. It will be several long days...but it will pass. Like I found out with my own major surgeries, and those of people I am close to...the minutes and hours are long, but the days and weeks are short. It will pass.

(I WILL however, make a friendly, helpful suggestion: if you ever find yourself having to have someone amputate the front limb of an elderly dog and then bring him home (the amputee, not the amputor)...might I suggest summer as the more optimal time? You know, not when there is 18 inches of wet, gross snow on the ground with ice underneath? :D)

Here is a picture from when he was sleeping last night (see, I TOLD you he is bald! He only has some of those coarse guard hairs left. But he is still pretty on the inside ;-))

Edited by mmrocker13 2013-03-09 11:21 AM
2013-03-09 2:04 PM

User image

Elite

leg or no log, look at that face!  Beautiful dog.  Nice to hear the good news.

2013-03-09 3:47 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Beautiful.  Both you and the pup
2013-03-10 11:07 PM
in reply to: #4653071

User image

Master
mmrocker13 - 2013-03-09 8:56 AM

Again: Thank you for all the vibes! I know they help :-) So, here's the rundown so far:

After the first hour of having him home, I was ready to pull my hair out, cry, yell, or all of the above. It was hard. Frustrating watching him struggle. Frustrating he won't listen and is SO not tractable (typical akita behavior..."I do what *I* want. I don't CARE if it's painful to sit face down in the snow. YOU don't tell me to come inside. *I* tell me." ). Frustrating I have to try and wrangle my other dog who wants to tear his throat out (dominance issues, much?). Frustrating b/c it hurts me to have him hurt, and b/c he IS old, and he IS only going to have a few, six, 12, more months with us b/c of the cancer so of course I worry I cocked up with this decision. And that's all in an hour. :p

ANYWAY: We have no drains or no bandages, so that makes it a bit easier than some folks have it. I slept on the floor in the living room with him last night--not that anyone actually slept. He just whimpered and shook ALL. NIGHT. By 5-6 AM, he was crying out loud again. He finally drifted off at like 7 AM or so for a bit. The only time he calmed a bit was when I'd put a hand on him, which is why I KNOW he was freaked, b/c he's just not a touchy-touchy sort of dog (again, with the akita personality--loves his people, loves being NEAR you, just not a snuggler. NO TOUCHING!). He got his piroxicam this AM at like 8:30 with his breakfast, and went out to pee, and is sleeping now.

And I know from what everyone has said the phases we''ll go thourgh, and I know it's not unusual...but it's a lot easier to think about IN THEORY than it is to see in practice. We are at that stage where he just looks miserable and is shuffling about...and even though I KNOW I did the right thing, it sure doesn't seem like it right now.

BUT he is home, and this will pass. It will be several long days...but it will pass. Like I found out with my own major surgeries, and those of people I am close to...the minutes and hours are long, but the days and weeks are short. It will pass.

(I WILL however, make a friendly, helpful suggestion: if you ever find yourself having to have someone amputate the front limb of an elderly dog and then bring him home (the amputee, not the amputor)...might I suggest summer as the more optimal time? You know, not when there is 18 inches of wet, gross snow on the ground with ice underneath? :D)

Here is a picture from when he was sleeping last night (see, I TOLD you he is bald! He only has some of those coarse guard hairs left. But he is still pretty on the inside ;-))

He's very handsome.  And he has an awfully comfy looking bed .  Hope today went better and you are both able to sleep.  Hang in there!

2013-03-11 9:08 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

Updates:

Saturday night (03.09; 48 hours post-op), we did our first lap around the back yard (well, except we stayed out of the woods/underbrushCool The snow/ice is bad on the deck and steps, but in the yard, it actually makes a nice side support No slippage on the hills...and a soft landing when we accidentally faceplant. Er, I mean...look underneath the top of the snow for small woodland creatures. Tongue out

The yard's about an acre, and filled with wet, 12-18-inch deep snow, so it wasn't an easy hop...but Sam seemed to enjoy "patrolling" his territory, despite it being a slow and tiring trip (and chilly, for us humans Wink ). And, true to form, he got stubborn on me when I decided it was time to go back in (he was shivering and panting pretty hard). We got in, though. And actually made it up the deck steps w/out taking a digger.

Yesterday (03.10), during his first stretch of "unsupervised time," we had a minor scare when he knocked down the baby gates and decide to go up two flights of stairs while I was in the basement riding my bike. So then he was upstairs, and couldn't/wouldn't come down... and I needed to finish my ride. Eventually, I just locked him in the bedroom, finished my ride, and then when Pat (DH) came home, we sort of helped him down the stairs together. Lesson: Sam is okay going UP. Down is still a problem.

Yesterday's minor victory: last night, Sam got up and walked into the front hall and got a toy out of the toy box. First time he's initiated any sort of activity on his own. It WAS kind of funny/sad  to watch him try and chew up his cardboard (yes, I know, fabulous toy...cardboard Tongue out) with only one paw instead of two (he normally holds it between his paws). You could see him pushing down with his right leg, and his little stump was moving like he was using his left leg to push it down, too... and then he'd get this look on his face like, "Huh. WTF. This left leg is TOTALLY not doing anything..."

Since today I had to go to work, and he obviously will not stand for baby gates when left unattended...we had to come up with something to trap him on the main level (of course, this also means that they ALL are trapped here, the four cats and teh other dog...but they'll figure it out. And if the cats weren't so lazy, they'd figure out how to get over the barricade.).

Here was our engineering project this AM:

I KNEW buying lots of bikes would pay off eventually. Bike boxes make great barricades. We'll see if it works.

Last update: I made a nice bed for him on the floor (since I've been sleeping on the floor, I KNOW how hard it is :D)...and Momo (our CRF cat) and Sadie (the beyotch of a girl dog) use most of it. Sam prefers to use it as a pillow, as he is too much of a gentleman to tell them to move. :p

2013-03-11 11:43 AM
in reply to: #4654681

User image

Master
mmrocker13 - 2013-03-11 7:08 AM

Updates:

Saturday night (03.09; 48 hours post-op), we did our first lap around the back yard (well, except we stayed out of the woods/underbrushCool The snow/ice is bad on the deck and steps, but in the yard, it actually makes a nice side support No slippage on the hills...and a soft landing when we accidentally faceplant. Er, I mean...look underneath the top of the snow for small woodland creatures. Tongue out

The yard's about an acre, and filled with wet, 12-18-inch deep snow, so it wasn't an easy hop...but Sam seemed to enjoy "patrolling" his territory, despite it being a slow and tiring trip (and chilly, for us humans Wink ). And, true to form, he got stubborn on me when I decided it was time to go back in (he was shivering and panting pretty hard). We got in, though. And actually made it up the deck steps w/out taking a digger.

Yesterday (03.10), during his first stretch of "unsupervised time," we had a minor scare when he knocked down the baby gates and decide to go up two flights of stairs while I was in the basement riding my bike. So then he was upstairs, and couldn't/wouldn't come down... and I needed to finish my ride. Eventually, I just locked him in the bedroom, finished my ride, and then when Pat (DH) came home, we sort of helped him down the stairs together. Lesson: Sam is okay going UP. Down is still a problem.

Yesterday's minor victory: last night, Sam got up and walked into the front hall and got a toy out of the toy box. First time he's initiated any sort of activity on his own. It WAS kind of funny/sad  to watch him try and chew up his cardboard (yes, I know, fabulous toy...cardboard Tongue out) with only one paw instead of two (he normally holds it between his paws). You could see him pushing down with his right leg, and his little stump was moving like he was using his left leg to push it down, too... and then he'd get this look on his face like, "Huh. WTF. This left leg is TOTALLY not doing anything..."

Since today I had to go to work, and he obviously will not stand for baby gates when left unattended...we had to come up with something to trap him on the main level (of course, this also means that they ALL are trapped here, the four cats and teh other dog...but they'll figure it out. And if the cats weren't so lazy, they'd figure out how to get over the barricade.).

Here was our engineering project this AM:

I KNEW buying lots of bikes would pay off eventually. Bike boxes make great barricades. We'll see if it works.

Last update: I made a nice bed for him on the floor (since I've been sleeping on the floor, I KNOW how hard it is :D)...and Momo (our CRF cat) and Sadie (the beyotch of a girl dog) use most of it. Sam prefers to use it as a pillow, as he is too much of a gentleman to tell them to move. :p

Heh.  One of the vets that I work with has a dog whose favorite toy is cardboard as well.  If they are going to ruin it anyway...  Sounds like Sam is not going to let missing a leg hold him back, that's great Laughing

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Update on my dog Rss Feed