Central Illinois Trail Running Alliance
38F / 3C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 45m 16s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Leading up to this race was a lot of waffling on my part about sticking to the full marathon or dropping to the half. When I signed up for the race and marked "marathon," I did it for all of the wrong reasons! Since then I kept telling myself that I could get the trail miles in to do the full. Others were encouraging me to not change it yet, but to keep it in the back of my mind. Last weekend, the game plan was those of us that were signed up for the full would try it and if we got to the start of the 2nd loop and it wasn't going to work, we would drop. By Tuesday I had decided that my training was not adequate enough to attempt the full, so I swallowed my pride and decided to drop to the half.

This should probably begin with Thursday. Had every intention on running Thursday night when my van tire got slashed as a local high school. By the time we got it changed and home I had missed the entire run and I was in a fit!

Friday I worked all day and then had to pick up the van from the repair shop (had already made plans to get the brakes worked). No problem picking it up, then it was off to take our oldest out to eat for his 26th birthday. Since he was working a split shift our time frame was from 3:15 until 5. We head out to Chili's. He convinces me that it will be cheaper to do their "couple" meal. I had a place a cajun pasta with shrimp (it is Friday during Lent, you know)and a raspberry margarita. He orders a burger and a mango margarita (the drinks were included in the meal). By the time we finish eating and chatting, it was time to take him back to work. Get 3/4 way home and son #3 calls; his car is ready to be picked up,can I please take him? UGH! Turn around and head back into town. By the time we get his car it's time to pick up Timothy and Erica and head out to the sectional basketball game(her twin is a starter). Get to the game and T is all sorts of energetic, so I chase him up and down the stairs and around the concourse. We lost a heartbreaker of a game :( Take everyone home and I finally get to the house (after leaving around 7 am) about 10 pm. That leads to race day.

I set my alarm for 5:45 and sometime I must have turned it off because I woke up with a start at 6:15! Get up,start "coffee," and start the dressing process. Go back to the kitchen about 10 minutes later and the only thing in the coffee pot is hot water :( DOH! I forgot to add the coffee! Rectify that situation and get ready for my ride. Good thing we left early because we seemed to keep missing the turn off. No worries, we have plenty of time! Get to the race site and pick up our swag and bibs. Spent the remaining minutes talking to friends!
Event warmup:

There really is no warm-up on a trail race, unless, like today, you count the stand in place and jump up and down like jumping jack rabbit to stay warm and kinda dry before the race.
Run
  • 3h 45m 16s
  • 13.4 miles
  • 16m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

This course was tougher than I thought it would be. Some of that was due to the weather and some of that was my poor decisions last night. If you read through my pre-race novel, then you would have noticed that I never ate dinner last night! AND I was chasing T up and down stairs!

The course itself is very pretty. Just combine all of the elements and you get a off day. I felt good at the start and wondered if my time goal was "too easy." There were 4 aid stations and only one of those was unmanned. That station came at about the 5 mile mark ( I think). Instead of stooping to grab a water bottle, I bent over! I nearly fell on my face AND my left hamstring seized on me. At that point I knew that my time goal would need to be adjusted. I ran until my hamstring screamed and then walked until it was a moan. I adjusted my goal to 4 hours (survival goal).

I did bring a gel with me and I used it at the aid station 3. I had oreos and chocolate chip cookies at each station! LOVE THOSE COOKIES! Arrived at the last aid station to find out that I only had about 2 more miles to go. Took a quick glance at my watch and determined that I COULD finish in less than 4 hours--if I got a move on. That last 1.75 miles was in snow and very tough to run in. That part was a run/walk effort and then I ran in the finish! WHEW! My longest trail race to date and I'm very proud o my self for finishing it. It would have been easy to not go at all (the benefits of riding with others is that you can't) or to quit when it got tough (that's not easy wither on a trail run)but neither of those is my style. I finish what I started.
Post race
Warm down:

The only warm down I did was changing into dry clothes and sit in my friends car on the drive to lunch (he has heated seats :) )!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Let's see: the trail is almost entirely sand, there was still snow on the ground, the snow that had thawed was left in BIG puddles throughout the trail because the sand was too frozen to absorb it, it was 38* at the start with rain/freezing rain/ sleet. Bending over to pick up a water bottle causing my hamstring to seize wasn't the brightest move on my part.

Last updated: 2013-03-02 12:00 AM
Running
03:45:16 | 13.4 miles | 16m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Snow, sand, rain, puddles
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-03-09 7:33 PM

User image

Master
MidWest
Subject: Cactus Classic Marathon

2013-03-12 1:40 PM
in reply to: #4653358

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Cactus Classic Marathon

Wow, it sounds like you had a crazy evening and morning. Way to fight through.

Do they have cactus in Illinois?

2013-03-12 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4653358

User image

Master
MidWest
I actually saw a couple of cacti while running!  
2013-03-13 8:28 PM
in reply to: #4657170

User image

Extreme Veteran

BAMBAM66 - 2013-03-12 2:19 PM I actually saw a couple of cacti while running!  

The things I learn on the internet Wink

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cactus Classic Marathon Rss Feed