General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Protein during IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-10 2:40 PM

User image

Subject: Protein during IM

After doing some research on nutrition for an IM (my first
IM will be IMKY), I noticed that some sites suggest that I should consume
approx 20grm of protein per hour. My question is where should I get this from?
I noticed that most of my normal nutrition contains no protein at all. A larabar only
contains 4-5grms.

2013-03-10 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4653802

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Protein during IM

You don't have to take protein.  Some people do and some don't.  Give it a try in training and see if it works for you.  btw, it gives me epic gas and my training mates put a stop to it.

You can add a protein powder to your normal sports drink or eat a protein bar.

eta: protein helps some people feel full while drinking all the fluids.  It's not something necessary like water, calories, and electrolytes.  

Edited by brown_dog_us 2013-03-10 3:48 PM
2013-03-10 4:45 PM

User image

Spokane
20g a hour seems pretty damn excessive if you ask me. I would say 5-10g at most if you wanted to add protein. But since you will be burning carbs/fat i don't think you will need much of any protein anyways.
2013-03-10 5:26 PM

User image

Thanks for your input, now I can relax a little. I got a little "freaked" while reading numerous sites. Thanks
2013-03-12 3:50 PM
in reply to: #4653946

User image

Pro
CyFair

dkahns51 - 2013-03-10 4:45 PM 20g a hour seems pretty damn excessive if you ask me. I would say 5-10g at most if you wanted to add protein. But since you will be burning carbs/fat i don't think you will need much of any protein anyways.

Pros of protein: reduces hunger

Cons: potential GI issues and cals you don't really have an immediate need for.

All up to you.

2013-03-13 6:53 AM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
I'm a huge protein , but during a long race I just don't worry about it.  If theres a little in whatever bars I'm eating, that's cool. 20 gram/hour is almost half of the 400 cal/hour max that you can absorb during the race, so it does seem way excessive (and it will slow digestion and require more water than carbs to digest).  No matter how you slice it, your body will be stripping nutrients off of itself during an IM.  Just don't short yourself carbs the rest of the year, and worry more about keeping calories down on race day.  That'll likely be easiest if most of them are from carb.

2013-04-30 8:18 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
I take accelerade which has a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein. I think it's one of the only sports drinks out there that actually does have protein in it, and I feel like I get more out of it than just carb drinks. The drag of it is that if you forget to wash out your water bottles right away, it'll go really bad and make your whole kitchen reek.
2013-05-01 6:47 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte

If you read some of the studies out there, ultra endurance athletes perform better with a mix of protein and carbs than carbs alone during the race.  There is no exact ratio for the benefit though.

That said, 20g per hour is likely way too much.  Most ultra endurance commercial drink mixes with protein run about 5-7g per bottle/hour.  I can't imagine chocking down 20g of protein an hour.

Also, it is recommended that you limit the protein intake to the bike as it is easier to digest while pedaling than running.

I know it "looks" expensive, but check out http://www.infinitnutrition.us/.  Their stuff really works (and tastes good).  Compared to other ultra endurance drinks like Hammer Perpetuem, it tastes like heaven.

2013-05-01 7:03 AM

Master
Northern IL
From what I've read, ~20g/hr is about the most your body can process in the time between workouts. Not a recommendation for what to take during a workout. As others noted, during can be none to some, but noticeably less than 20g/hr.
2013-05-09 6:03 AM
in reply to: #4721974

User image

Veteran

brigby1 - 2013-05-01 2:03 PM From what I've read, ~20g/hr is about the most your body can process in the time between workouts. Not a recommendation for what to take during a workout. As others noted, during can be none to some, but noticeably less than 20g/hr.

Yap, I agree on this... when doing powder in training sessions, it gets me bloated up I have hard time especially during run. To prevent hunger, I have some protein bar, any kind, with high amount of protein. It's solid food, don't have to eat the whole thing at once, and prevents hunger, which is my problem most of the time during/after long(er) training sessions. 

2013-05-09 7:52 AM
in reply to: #4721622

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois

trijamie - 2013-04-30 8:18 PM I take accelerade which has a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein. I think it's one of the only sports drinks out there that actually does have protein in it, and I feel like I get more out of it than just carb drinks. The drag of it is that if you forget to wash out your water bottles right away, it'll go really bad and make your whole kitchen reek.

+1 on this.

My IM plan is to start with a bottle of Accelerade on the bike and then move to Perform and live off the course.  I will pick up a 2nd bottle of accelerade in special needs bag.  I feel it has a little more substance to it than drinking perform all day.  I have even toyed with the idea of taking a bottle out on the beginning of the run...

2013-05-09 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4734505

User image

runninirish - 2013-05-09 8:52 AM

trijamie - 2013-04-30 8:18 PM I take accelerade which has a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein. I think it's one of the only sports drinks out there that actually does have protein in it, and I feel like I get more out of it than just carb drinks. The drag of it is that if you forget to wash out your water bottles right away, it'll go really bad and make your whole kitchen reek.

+1 on this.

My IM plan is to start with a bottle of Accelerade on the bike and then move to Perform and live off the course.  I will pick up a 2nd bottle of accelerade in special needs bag.  I feel it has a little more substance to it than drinking perform all day.  I have even toyed with the idea of taking a bottle out on the beginning of the run...

Twinlab Endurance Fuel is another mix with a 4:1 ratio.  I have used it for running and spinning with good results.  I don't know if its mental or actual, but I seem to have better leg muscle recovery/less soreness afterwards when I use it than when I go straight carbs.  Downside is when mixed it is still a bit "gritty" or "textured" which can be a turn off.

2013-05-15 3:04 PM

New user
San Francisco
All this talk about GI issues is getting me nervous. Been drinking Accelerade on the bike but haven't really ran more than 5 miles immediately after and am now wondering if this could become a problem. I have definitely had to stop manys a time during marathons to go and so I pretty concerned that this Saturday at IMTX, I might be in trouble.
2013-05-15 7:02 PM
in reply to: #4744182

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

paddyirishman - 2013-05-15 3:04 PM All this talk about GI issues is getting me nervous. Been drinking Accelerade on the bike but haven't really ran more than 5 miles immediately after and am now wondering if this could become a problem. I have definitely had to stop manys a time during marathons to go and so I pretty concerned that this Saturday at IMTX, I might be in trouble.

If you have been using it in training I would not worry about it.  I am accelerade fan and I have used it for all but one of my IMs.  That said I do have an iron stomach most of the time....seriously I could eat a tuna sandwich and I would be fine....Just saying everyone is different but I don't think accellerade would still be around if it made people sick

2013-05-16 2:27 AM

New user
San Francisco
Thanks socks!
2013-05-16 9:25 AM

User image

Pro
Houston

I agree with the others that it can cause tummy issues.

Accel also has gels with protein.  I am a big fan of their Second Surge with 100mg of caffeine.  I have used this up to the half marathon distance.  During the IM I will probably hold off until the second half to make sure the tummy is good and I am sure when it gets dark the caffeine will come in handy.

2013-05-16 2:13 PM
in reply to: #4744182

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

paddyirishman - 2013-05-15 4:04 PM All this talk about GI issues is getting me nervous. Been drinking Accelerade on the bike but haven't really ran more than 5 miles immediately after and am now wondering if this could become a problem. I have definitely had to stop manys a time during marathons to go and so I pretty concerned that this Saturday at IMTX, I might be in trouble.

Use what you used in training.  You will be fine.  If your stomach starts to feel bloated or upset, slow down for 30 mins or so and let it work through the issue.  Waiting until it's a full blown problem never ends well.  

Have a great race!

2013-05-22 5:27 PM
in reply to: pfd104

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
From personal experience and study, proteins are useless
You may find some benefits from bringing a bottle on the bike with BCAA powder inside
Much more effective for long races like HIM and IM
2013-05-22 5:50 PM

I just did my first full - IM Texas. Nutrition was a concern. I consumed 325 to 350 calories per hour on bike and 250 to 350 calories per hour on run. On bike I used Gels and Shot blocks for carb calories, Container of Muscle Milk at Bike Special Needs bag and left that back with a package of Beef Jerky Bites (Protein as well as sodium). On the run I used Gels, Shot blocks as on bike and the same for mid point Run Special Needs bag. On run I could not eat Beef Jerky Bites, but I did drink the Muscle Milk. I did consume carbs on race route - chips, fruit, etc... Sodium Replacement was also key. It was Hot, real Hot. Temp up to 90 degrees in Texas last weekend for the race. I used Salt Stick capsules, 2 per 30 min for first 3 hrs on bike, then 2 per hour here after. Only exception was on run when I felt dizzy, then I took extra capsule. I know this is more than you asked for, but that was my recent experience.

Frank
2013-05-22 6:00 PM
in reply to: fgarber

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
OMG! On the run, i take max 1 gel for the HIM and another one for the Full IM.
I am convinced that most of the people over-eat on the run.
Bike 300-350kcal per hour is ok but on the run if i eat 300kcal per hour, i throw up
I know i go against most of the book theories but i experimented it several times also on my wife and we both dont have any issue
On a standalone marathon for example i just grab some isodrink on the way.no gels
Unfortunately everybody train and race from the very beginning following this protocol and they get use to it.
It is difficult to believe me but i went through it because i come from running background where i was not use to eat so much on my long races

2013-05-23 11:14 AM

Regular
Seal Beach
Ok, I've gotta chip in here... because this is really driving me nuts.

People, take a step back for a minute. Think about what you're reading. EVERYONE has a different opinion about everything related to working out or racing. I have been a racer my whole life, and I have seen just about every technique used. Granted, I'm 4 years in on Triathlons, but I'd say I've got a pretty good grasp.

My mentality has always been KISS - keep it simple, stupid. It blows my mind reading some of the recommendations on this site and others on the exact calculations on exactly what mineral, carb, or protein people are trying to ingest. It blows my mind even more to see what people are strapping to their bike during a race, then jumping on the boards to talk about how the upgrade to the P5 was "so worth it" but they just wasted a ton of free speed by hanging 200 gu packets off the frame, had a bento box the size of a lunchpail, and had enough hydration to last 600 miles.

Find something simple that works for you, and STICK WITH IT. For a full for me, it's very basic. I carry 2 bottles of EFS gel that I pick up in transition, those babies go in the trisuit. Before the race, I stick 2 packs of Cliff Blocks to my aerobars (lick and stick.) I carry 1 bottle of Perform in my hydrotail, and my aerobottle full of water to start....and that is it. Why? Because depending on the IM you do, aid stations are 10 miles apart. Water out of the swim replaces what was lost in the water, especially if it was a saltwater swim. At the first aid station, I fly through at around 20mph, grab a bottle of lime perform, rip the cap off, and dump it in the aero bottle. By the last trash drop it's gone and the bottle is on the ground. I'll down that over the next 10 miles. Every 15 minutes, I alternate between a shot of EFS and a Cliff Block. Next aid station, I grab a bottle of water and repeat the process... alternating between water and perform the whole race. If I miss a handoff, I have my backup bottle to get me to the next aid station. Using this method I pee about 2-3 times on the bike.

For the run, I only intake water, EFS (another bottle shoved in suit, I take a "hit" every 20 mins on run) and orange slices. Why? It's what works for me, and there are limited options due to my particular eating preference. I also don't believe in running belts.

This is what has worked for me for the last 6 140.6 events. I use a modified version on the 70.3's. It's simple to train with, simple to race with, and it doesn't leave me doing craploads of math on the bike or run... I can focus on the race or enjoy the scenery.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Protein during IM Rss Feed