USA Productions Events
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m 9s
Overall Rank = 37/120
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/15
Pre-race routine:

Up early, and felt earlier with the time change. Gear was already packed, so just loaded up the car for the short drive over to the event. Nice to have a local event for first race of the season. Day before event the wind was howling, so was nice to wake up on race day to calm winds.
Event warmup:

Stretched some and jogged a little. Felt pretty good, and was trying to focus on not going out too hard for first run.
Run
  • 52m 14s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Had been trying to figure out how to pace this opening 10k. This was my first DU, so wasn't really sure how to pace it. I had read to run it at about a HM pace, but I've never run an open HM. Decided that I'd try to run it about an 8:30 pace, based on training, I guess this is about where a HM might be.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Given that I was able to go comfortably hard on the bike and had enough left at the end to go all out (for me) on the 5k, this was about right. If I'm going to get faster at this type of event, will have to work at getting faster on the run though. But, at this point, this is about what I had.
Transition 1
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Transition was ok. Interesting (read: nice!) to not have to peel out of wetsuit in T1. Glasses fogged up coming out of transition, so hard to see at first.
Bike
  • 1h 09m
  • 25 miles
  • 21.74 mile/hr
Comments:

Good bike for me. With the wind being down from yesterday really wanted to hammer the bike. Was able to do that. I did see some really interesting things on the bike, including a woman pulling a handkerchief out of her jersey to blow her nose.

Nothing. Felt good on this ride. At certain points, sun was shining just right to give nice shadow of me in aero position, that was really cool.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Ok transition. Saw JP coming in just ahead of me, so knew I had made up the lead he had on me after first run. I did think if I can't pass him in transition, then shame on me, seeing as its his first multi-sport event.

Nothing
Run
  • 22m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Just went as hard as I could for the 5k. This was a good run for me. On bike was thinking of trying to go as hard as I could to just have enough to run. Think I did that.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched a little. Got some water. Watched award ceremony and was amazed at winner coming in under 2 hours.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. This may be the best I have executed a race so far. Left it all out there, but had enough to finish strong.

Event comments:

Good race and event. Pretty low key because its early in the season I think. Really amazing how fast many of the athletes were, especially in my age group. Had a lot of fun, and this may have been the best I executed a race plan so far. Which is funny, given its my first DU. That may be because my plan was based on what I thought I could do based on training, as opposed to the time I want to do. Something to think about.

Last updated: 2013-03-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:52:14 | 06.2 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 0/120
Performance: Good
Course: Two loops of a pretty flat rectangle.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:15
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:09:00 | 25 miles | 21.74 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: 5x of a 5 mile loop. One little bump that hurt a little more each time around. Pavement is mostly good on this loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:45 | 03.11 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Course: One loop of a flat course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-03-11 11:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: South Bay International Duathlon

2013-03-11 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4654973

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Subject: RE: South Bay International Duathlon
Wow thats an Awesome race! Awesome times! I should have run like like a bat atta hell like you in that 2nd run. Thx for the t-shirt comment on my write-up. lol. I'm a dork.
2013-03-12 2:02 AM
in reply to: #4654973

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
Subject: RE: South Bay International Duathlon
You must have been one of those hot rods zooming past me on the bike.... Wow, 1:09 is really impressive! Great job! Actually, even more impressive is that you put down such a great 5K run at the end. Congrats on a great race! My sunglasses fogged up just like yours during T1. I had to hold them for the first half-mile or so on the bike...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Bay International Duathlon Rss Feed