General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2008 Quintana Roo Caliente-buying a used bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-12 3:59 PM

User image

Subject: 2008 Quintana Roo Caliente-buying a used bike?

I am looking at buying this used. It was used in an IM, but not sure of the total miles on it. Basically, I am wondering what a good price would be for this bike and if it is a good idea to buy it used?

I am currently on an entry level road bike with aero bars slapped on. It weighs a good amount. I am doing St. George HIM in 8 weeks. Is it too close to the race to switch bikes now? I have read some reviews and found out that it is tough on the descents, which SG is all either up or down, nothing in the middle. So a bike not good on descents would be rough on me. (I'm getting used to descending in the first place!)

Is it possible to go to a bike shop and get fit on my current road bike and find out (can they tell me) if the QR Caliente would fit me from the measurements they take at the shop? Then how do I have them fit me on the QR? Would I have to pay to get fit all over again?

I am trying to do this on as minimal budget as possible. In that case, is it worth it to upgrade the bike or should I stick with what I have? What advantages will I get on the SGHIM course with this tri bike?

Thanks for the help. I am really new to tris, but I want to get the best out of all the training I am putting in.

Edited by lalusp 2013-03-12 4:05 PM

2013-03-13 5:11 AM
in reply to: #4657143

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: 2008 Quintana Roo Caliente-buying a used bike?
8 weeks is too close to an IM to switch bike unless you have a very good bike fit now that can be duplicated to the new bike. Basically, no positional change. Being that you have a road bike now, don't even think about getting a tri bike this close to the race... you don't want to find out at mile 50 that it wasn't a good idea and by mile 80 you start to wonder if you will even be able to finish the bike leg.

Otherwise, the Caliente is a good bike. The value depends on so many factors, components, wheels, maintenance, general condition, etc. etc. Basically, somewhere between $200-800 would be a fair guess.

Just remember, that fit is the most important aspect of a tri bike. If the Caliente doesn't fit you well, then the value to you is $0. Get a bike fit first and then buy the best fitting bike for YOU.
2013-03-13 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4657663

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: 2008 Quintana Roo Caliente-buying a used bike?

audiojan - 2013-03-13 6:11 AM 8 weeks is too close to an IM to switch bike unless you have a very good bike fit now that can be duplicated to the new bike. Basically, no positional change. Being that you have a road bike now, don't even think about getting a tri bike this close to the race... you don't want to find out at mile 50 that it wasn't a good idea and by mile 80 you start to wonder if you will even be able to finish the bike leg. Otherwise, the Caliente is a good bike. The value depends on so many factors, components, wheels, maintenance, general condition, etc. etc. Basically, somewhere between $200-800 would be a fair guess. Just remember, that fit is the most important aspect of a tri bike. If the Caliente doesn't fit you well, then the value to you is $0. Get a bike fit first and then buy the best fitting bike for YOU.

St G is a 70.3 this year (not the full) so it isn't as bad as first thought.  However, I still wouldn't recommend a new ride this close to race day, esp. going from a roadie to a tri bike... way too much can go wrong IMHO.

The QRoo is a nice bike, though and I wouldn't hesitate if the price was right and (and only if) it fits.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2008 Quintana Roo Caliente-buying a used bike? Rss Feed