General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman France : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-13 2:44 PM

User image

Champion
Subject: Ironman France : Official Thread

Hey all! Who is in this summer? I figured since we have a thread in TT I would start and official thread!

I'll start:

NAME: Melissa

FIRST IM?: No, I did IMLP in 2011. Finished in 14:02:24

BACKGROUND: I'm a former competitive swimmer turned triathlete. Started triathlon about 4-5 years ago. I started with sprints and olys and eventually moved into HIM and IM distance. I'm just finishing up my last year of medical school at the University of Alberta.

WHY IM FRANCE?: Well my parents wanted to do a trip for my graduation and around the same time they told me this I read "Ultramarathon Man" by Dean Karnazes and was inspired to do an IM distance race again. I only had a few weeks to play with before residency starts after my graduation and it was really a decision between going to France or going down to Idaho....let's just say France won, big time :)

BIGGEST FEAR FOR IM FRANCE: Have to say the bike course. It was what I can say I struggled with big time during IMLP with the hills and the heat. Hopefully I will get well trained up for both via trips to the mountains and my 3 week "training camp" in Kona, HI in May.

PRE IM RACES: California 70.3, DC Women's HM, Hawaii 70.3

GOALS: Get to race day healthy. I've had a bit of a tough year with illness/stress. I gave myself bilateral pneumonia last October after doing a HM with the flu, so that was not helpful to my base training. Then residency interviews started and the stress of that so I'm finally back on point and training consistently. I did a HM in New Orleans a few weeks ago and surprised myself with a good time so hopefully that trend continues...

2013-03-18 9:13 PM
in reply to: #4658565

Subject: RE: Ironman France : Official Thread
Hey, Thanks for starting an IM France forum. Last year I did my first IM , in CdA. Amazing experience and I enjoyed the posts. It is great to share training stories for a race. Last year I just read so I saw your first post and thought it would be good to contribute.

I am very excited about France. My training is really gearing up and this past weekend I banged out some good training days. Today Monday I really felt I needed my day off, rest the legs. I am not the fastest Racer, my goal is to finish before the cutoff.
I am too focused on the bike portion , I live in LA so I am fortunate to have good terrain to train, Malibu canyons overlooking the Pacific Ocean, it's awesome. As I read more race reports, seems as if the heat can be a real factor, I plan to train , bike, run during middle of day to make sure I am ready for the heat, also keep my electrolyte balance.

Look forward to reading other training ideas for what I expect to be a great IM event.
2013-03-27 9:58 AM

User image

Champion
Hey mark! I think it will be a fun race. (Well by fun I mean painful but we get to bike in the French Riviera and run along the Mediterranean!)
2013-03-30 11:45 AM

Regular
Mississauga, Ontario
I'm also in for France, really starting into prep phase now. 3rd IM for me (2 xIMLP, 1 xIMMT), the hills should be very interesting, particularly the 21k climb. I am signed up for a pre-race recce tour, more for the descents to get a handle on them, some corners you are ok to fly through, some better to slow down to avoid flying entirely off course This looks like a great race, all the reports that I have see rave about the bike course. And a couple of weeks in France afterwards will be a nice way to recover.
2013-03-30 8:56 PM

Oh yes, that 21k climb, it's been on my mind. I have been adding a climb starting at mile 27-30 to prepare. I do most of my cycling in Malibu (beautiful), and we are fortunate to have some long climbs, ie 7-10 miles. Today I did a 7 mile climb at mile 27, total mileage 90 with total elevation in of 4300ft. I was pooped. Made sure I visited my local massage spot afterwards. Question, what is the avg grade of the long climb? I see on the map sections, but not an avg, it does look long and hard, at least it's early on and not at the end of the race. My coach has me doing a variety of bike training, long endurance rides, short (70 mile) rides with hard gear intervals, etc. for me, I have to survive the bike course. My goal is a 6:45-7 hr split. Yes I am slow! As the days warm and we pass the 3 month marker, I feel IM France coming on ! Very cool
2013-03-31 1:18 PM
in reply to: #4680043

User image

Champion
runmini - 2013-03-30 10:45 AMI'm also in for France, really starting into prep phase now. 3rd IM for me (2 xIMLP, 1 xIMMT), the hills should be very interesting, particularly the 21k climb. I am signed up for a pre-race recce tour, more for the descents to get a handle on them, some corners you are ok to fly through, some better to slow down to avoid flying entirely off course This looks like a great race, all the reports that I have see rave about the bike course. And a couple of weeks in France afterwards will be a nice way to recover.
Jealous! My time in France will be before the race. Have to get back home to start residency by June 28! Haha.

2013-03-31 2:09 PM

Regular
Mississauga, Ontario
IM France website has a bike course description, says the 21k climb is 4.2% average -- with the last 6.5k at 6.5%. Ouch. I think for euro bikers this will not be too hard, for those not used to long climbs (like me) it will be key to settle into a reasonable pace. I am renting a bike for the race, will have a compact 34 x 28, would really rather have my own bike (34x32) but too much effort to drag it overseas. No extended climbing where I am, will be riding the computrainer for that. Should be a blast.
2013-04-14 11:29 AM

Yesterday had a hard training day, it's getting closer. Did 90 miles on the bike w 7k of climbing, I am working in the long sustained climbs, my training partner yelled at me to go faster, I can't break 6 mph on the climbs, (I'm a big guy), my sat rides from here on will be long with lots of climbing, one thing, once I'm off the hills, it seems so much easier, climbing is making me a better rider on flats and rollers, yesterday did a 8 mile climb at mile 30, trying to mimic the 12 mile climb atIM France. I'm very excited, it's gonna be a great atmosphere, though I will admit the nerves will be tested, still lots of work to do before the big day.
2013-05-17 5:22 AM

User image

Regular

Doesn't look like this thread is too active, but figured I'd drop in and say hi!

I will be doing the race, as well as my wife.  I am from the US, but live in Barcelona so have been able to do the race course a few times last month.  Great bike loop!  If you aren't used to riding in Europe, the roads (and descents) might be a bit scary, but the scenery if fantastic.

Look forward to seeing you in June!

Dale

2013-05-20 12:38 PM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

I'll add in to this thread. I'm also doing IM France. Also hoping to survive the bike course :-) We don't have many hills around here so that's gonna be fun for me. And of course looking forward to a nice vacation after.
2013-06-04 8:09 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

Regular
Mississauga, Ontario
Just bringing this thread to the top -- after all, the race is less than 3 weeks away!! Weather predictions so far look good, maybe low 20s (Celsius) but will probably feel more like high 20s with the direct sun. Training is as per usual not where I want it to be, but will be enough to enjoy the day. This is an epic Ironman by all accounts, should be amazing!!

2013-06-05 8:37 AM
in reply to: runmini

User image

We're close now. Race numbers are up online if you want to find yours. I stumbled onto it yesterday.
2013-06-06 4:58 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Regular
hi guys... starting to get a bit hotter now on the Med. Run might be a scorcher... but just a tip I got from a friend that competed last year: whatever you do avoid the showers on the run course! They may look tempting and a ton of people run through them... but they all end up with soggy shoes and awful blisters!! Keep those sneakers dry!
2013-07-06 7:26 AM
in reply to: dbeach

User image

Hey -- how did everybody do? I'm finally back stateside and all recovered from a great day. Just checking in.
2013-11-25 12:14 PM
in reply to: mndymond

any forums where we can get help exchanging clothing?

My fiance and I completed our first Ironman in France this year. She's been going back and forth trying to exchange her tri kit that she purchased the day after the race, but the worst has finally happened...We finally got Ironman Store EU to agree to the exchange, however her package was 'lost' in the mail.

It may be too little too late, but she's out $200 and nothing to show for her race. They actually ran out of finisher shirts for the ladies too so she doesn't have one of those either.

Did any one here buy an extra laides tri kit that they're not happy with? Any suggestions on who we can contact for support?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman France : Official Thread Rss Feed