General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM on modified paleo? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-14 12:41 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: HIM on modified paleo?
I'm training for my first HIM in September - well, not exactly training yet, but I start the BT program late April.

Anyway, I've been eating modified paleo for a while (I eat dairy & drink alcohol - I also am about 80/20 as far as strictness). I'm losing weight and feel really good about it.

My question is that my body seems to be wanting carbs - and I was taught to listen to my body when it talks about eating. That may be a problem unto itself...but I now favor beer over wine and will often pick a sandwich when I cheat.

I've read Paleo for Athletes, so I know it CAN be done, but wonder if anyone who has done it can share some advice?

Thanks!

2013-03-21 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4659739

Subject: RE: HIM on modified paleo?
Ive been wondering if there are any raw ironmen out there! I definitely love my meats, but am experimenting with a raw diet. It's actually been awesome! No restriction to calories, just as much raw fruit as I want, with some veggies sprinkled in. I am losing some weight, but the biggest plus has been muscle endurance! My muscles don't fatigue at point where the normally do, and soreness is almost non existent. I imagine I will modify this when I get my weight where I want it, but for now am a happy clam.
2013-03-24 9:37 AM

Scottsdale, AZ
I've done 3 HIM so far, and upcoming Leadman distance. 2 of 3 HIM were on Paleo diet and it is how I continue to eat.
Compared to the first HIM, I feel my energy is higher, recovery quicker and workouts more effective. Probably cuz I'm not dealing with stomach issues anymore that I had in the past. Eating Paleo cleared up my IBS and other inflammatory issues I was having.
No calorie counting, I eat fruit after workouts and other smart carbs (roots,tubers,potatoes) during the day/after workouts. I have plenty of energy without the grains/legumes/dairy.
For an example, for the past 3 big races I've had, my pre-race meal is: beef or turkey burger (no bun), plenty of sweet potato fries made in coconut oil and sautéed spinach. All clean burning and no stomach issues!
The only thing I cheat on (usually) is corn chips but absolutely NO gluten, it wrecks me.
during long bikes/runs, I use the standard GU's/Gels/blocks and don't worry that they aren't "Paleo" since my body needs the quick carb source. I've tried a variety of real food on the bike and I just don't do well. Takes a good amount of experimentation to see what works for you in training and what doesn't.
Seems like you are already most of the way there. Cleaning up the last 20% is tough and takes a bit of effort. Just make sure you are fueling properly after your long workouts.
I don't miss the bread/pasta/rice at all! And, I can have bacon every morning for breakfast :-)
Good luck!
2013-05-02 11:26 AM

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
yes it can be done get the book in order to help you out
2013-05-28 9:49 PM
in reply to: cxk9758

User image

Mesa, AZ
There are plenty of paleo recipes for bread, pastas, even cookies! I don't necessarily eat paleo but I try to eat really clean. I've had some pretty good paleo made stuff.
2013-05-29 8:41 PM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii
Absolutely. Even iron distance. Check out Nell Stephenson's website www.paleoista.com - she is a nutritionist and many x Ironman finisher. Nell's first cookbook The Paleo Diet Cookbook has some simple and delicious recipes and is a good partner to Paleo for Athletes.

I have been Paleo for over two years - it's a great lifestyle change. I highly recommend Practical Paleo by Diane San Filippo and Well Fed by Melissa Joulwan for great recipes (and Practical Paleo has a meal plan for athletes to help you navigate). Well Fed is simply a fabulous cookbook.

You'll need to add more nutrient-dense carbs to your training - sweet potato, pumpkin, butternut squash, and probably a little more fruit here and there. Be sure to eat plenty of fat - avocado, coconut oil - and, if primal,grass-fed full-fat dairy as tolerated.

I'm currently training for Cycle to the Sun at the end of June - 36 miles and 10,023ft of climbing - on this diet. I have ditched gels and sports drinks as well - now my fueling consists of Amrita Bars (with the exception of the brown rice protein they are paleo) Pineapple Chia is my favorite flavor, Justin's almond butter packets (with the maple syrup for a little added sugar), coconut water diluted 50/50 with water, and salt stick caps for electrolytes.

You'll feel amazing.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM on modified paleo? Rss Feed