General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to Training...Mom from Texas Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-11-27 10:22 AM

Subject: New to Training...Mom from Texas
This is my first time to train for anything really. I swam on the swim team for over 8 years when I was a kid, so I'm a fairly strong swimmer. I've biked a 10 mile trek once in my life over hills and such and lived. I was a runner in high school. Overall, I feel like I have an athletic background, but I've never really pushed myself or "trained" for anything.

Now I am 36 years old with 2 children and I am completely out of shape. I saw a flyer for a mini-triathlon for next Sept '04 and thought that it would be a great goal and would help me to achieve what I want to achieve. I have about 40 lbs. to lose and a long way to go, but I think I can do this! A friend of mine is training with me and we have the next 2 months all planned out. I am currently running/walking 1.5 - 2 miles a day, 5 days a week.

If anyone has any helpful hints, suggestions, or motivational thoughts, please send them my way.

By the way, this web site is awesome!!!!!!
Thanks, Susan in TX

2003-11-27 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2129

Veteran
Brisbane-Melbourne, Australia
Subject: RE: New to Training...Mom from Texas
Welcome mate. Good to see you have made a start. Suggestions and toughts, well you have started something now !!!!! Have a look at the beginners programs, there a good basis to step off on. Look forward to hearing your progress

Craig
2003-11-27 3:27 PM

New user

Nowra, Australia
Hi Susan, it is great you have decided to go for new goals in your life. Like you I am 36 yrs old and have one child. I will doing my first triathlon in Feb 2004. I work full time as well so fitting in a training schedule can be quite complicated sometimes (but fun), but here is what I have started with. These weeks are alternated to adjust to different commitments that I have, but it might give you a basic idea where to start. As you can see I try to do something in the morning and afternoon (hence AM & PM).

Mon AM - Bike LSD (Long slow distance) - PM - Run with intervals

Tue AM - Bike TURBO (Windtrainer) (1 hour) - PM Swim (about 1 & 1/2 hours) I swim with a swim squad at local pool

Wed PM - Swim (1 1/2 hour)

Thur AM - Bike (LSD) - PM I play soccer but you could go for run/walk

Fri AM - Rest - PM - Spin class - 45 mins (great workout)

Sat - Rest yeehah

Sun AM - Run LSD - about 10 kms slow

Next week

Mon AM - Rest Stretch - PM Run with intervals

Tue AM - Bike (Turbo Windtrainer - 1 HR) - PM Swim - 1 1/2 hours

Wed AM - Run medium (about 5 kms) - PM Swim - 1 1/2 hours

Thurs AM - Bike (LSD) - PM me soccer

Fri AM - Swim - PM Spin class or run about 5 kms

Sat AM - Bike (LSD) - PM Boxercise class or run about 5 kms

Sun AM - Run (LSD) - Sun arvy - REST

Susan I try to stick to this schedule but of course I have my days where I am tired or have other things on, you know kids etc. It might be too much to start off with but it gives you a basic idea what I do. I hope it helps as I just didn't know where to start when I decided to do a triathlon. I listen to my body, if I'm tired I rest and I don't feel dissapointed if I miss something on the schedule. It is great to go for a goal but there is no point in being hard on yourself. Anyway I hope it helps and good luck in your training.

Regards Elke

:-) :-) ;-)
2003-11-27 5:14 PM

Thanks Craig & Elke!

I appreciate the encouragement. I will keep you updated on my progress.

Elke, let me know how your first triathlon goes in Feb! It sounds like you have quite a workout program. I hope to work up to that time of training regimine in the next 6 months or so. Right now I am focusing only on running. In late Jan/early Feb, I plan to add swimming into my weekly routine, then 2 months later add biking. I read on the beginners page that this might be the best approach for someone like me [having never trained before in my life].

My main goal right now is consistency in my workout routine. But like you Elke, if I am too tired then I take a day off.

Thanks!
Susan
2003-11-27 8:12 PM

User image

Champion

good job on the conservative approach...and it is awesome that u have a freind to train with.  lucky u

what distance is your mini tri?

2003-11-28 4:41 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Greetings from Louisiana! You will probably find that you want wait until September 04 to do your first. You will be surrounded by other great events in Texas. Let us know if we can help you!

Still Tri'n
Michael

2003-12-02 7:52 AM
in reply to: #2130

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Welcome to the group and congratulations on deciding to take control of your life.
2003-12-09 12:27 PM
in reply to: #2134

The mini Tri is:
3 mile Run
10 mile Bike,
300 meter Swim

I think this is pretty do-able.

2003-12-09 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2134

Well, the friend that I train with lives in another area. We are getting together twice a month to train and to set new goals, etc.. It still helps though.
2003-12-09 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2433

User image

Champion

oh yeah...your soooo there in september 04!!!  u should have no problems...

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to Training...Mom from Texas Rss Feed