General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tapering and nutrition for HiM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-17 12:29 PM

User image

Subject: Tapering and nutrition for HiM

I am doing my first HiM in May and am wondering about tapering and nutrition race day.  I come from a running background (I was 415 pounds in 2009 and began walking that year which led to running by the end of the year, did my first marathon in October of 2011 and then 2 more in 2012, got down to 190 by my marathon in 2011 and am currently 210 pounds).  I tried a sprint triathlon in 2011 and then did my first Olympic in September of 2012 (got a lot more into triathlons in 2012 and have been training for this HiM since last May when I signed up for it as I then did my second sprint in November, I got a tune up Sprint coming up in April).

I know how to taper for a marathon not sure how to taper for a HiM.  My weeks look like

Monday- Rest

Tuesday - Reverse Speed Brick (speedwork run in the morning 4-6 miles, followed by a 16 mile bike).

Wednesday- Double, run in the morning 4-6 miles, swim in the afternoon (typically my high swim 2000-2500 meters)

Thursday- Hill Brick, 16 mile bike followed by a 8 mile hill workout.

Friday- Swim, 1500-1750 meters typically.

Saturday- Brick and or long run or race.  Last week was a 35 mile ride/5mile run, this week was a half marathon race, next week is a half marathon race with hopefully a short 15-20mile ride, in 2 weeks doing 45mile ride with 10 mile run.

Sunday- Medium long run, 10 miles typically (might add in a short ride there too on occasion).

So how do I taper for that, was thinking I need to cut the hill workout at least the 2-3 weeks prior to the race to get my legs freshened up, maybe also cut the speedwork on Tuesdays for 2-3 weeks.  Do you reduce run distances or would you cut workouts?  How does one taper for HiM?

Also no idea what to do about race day nutrition.  On anything shorter than a half marathon I don't even take nutrition just water and maybe a little gatorade if its a race.  On marathons I have been taking S-caps and bonk breakers and or a GU every 45 minutes to an hour as I have suffered massive cramps on marathons (used to get them in halves haven't had that issue in a couple years on a half).  I am not super fast so I figure the HiM is going to take me 7-7/12 hours.  Hour on the swim, 3 1/2-4 on the bike and probably 2:30 on the run.  My half pr is 1:50, marathon pr is 4:18, I was slow on my Olympic as I got lost on the swim as it was my first open water and I was 3:30 on my Oly, but I am much better trained right now then I was from Oly on all legs. 

I like solid foods more than GUs, so I use bonk breakers on my rides more often than anything else (HiM also offers bonk breakers).  I am sure I need to take something more than just bonk breakers and or GUs for such a long race.  What does everyone do nutrition in long events?

Edited by sirdizzy 2013-03-17 12:30 PM

2013-03-17 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4663163

User image

Expert
McAllen
Subject: RE: Tapering and nutrition for HiM

As far as tapering goes 3 weeks might be a bit excessive. I'd probably lean closer to 10-14 days, even. As you get closer try to move your workouts to have an intensity at the same as or just slightly above what you're going to be doing your HIM at, but cut the volume to 70% and then to 50% (use your own judgement).

As far as nutrition, try to eat something easily digestible before the swim (If you're comfy with gels, do a gel 15min before the swim). Personally my favorite is peanut butter & banana with a healthy amount of water. I've never done a HIM before but this is my pre nutrition choice for sprints. Once you get out of the water, start your nutrition plan.

Everyone has something different. Personally, I'm going to rely on exclusively my gu flask (5 gel packs + some water to make it easier to down) and liquid nutrition; 400 calories in a concentrated water bottle; gonna carry a separate flask for the run as well. So yes, you can do exclusively liquid nutrition or exclusively gels, but you should practice it in training. If you wanna do solid food, do that!

Calories per hour can range anywhere from 150 to 400. 300 is a pretty safe starting zone, if you feel bloated back off if you can take in more, do so! And good luck

2013-03-17 4:48 PM

User image

I like the idea of 300 calories and hour I think I can do that, I'll just have to find something that doesn't give me rock gut.  I hoped off the bike last week after 35 miles drank 3/4 of a gatorade and then ate a bonk breaker and that gave me rock gut for the first mile and half of my run.  I almost always have a PBJ and banana before big races or marathons so that works well for me, done it on all 3 of my marathons and my Oly. 
2013-03-17 5:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
That is a lot to take in between your bike and run.  You can do solid food or gels or all liquid, but I'd suggest spreading it out more.  Typically, you'll see the recommendation to make sure to eat something about a half hour prior to end of bike before the transition to the run so it has time to hit the system.  For some, its easier to digest on the bike than the run.  Starting the run after 3/4 of a bottle of beverage and a bar would be hard for me.
2013-03-17 5:53 PM
in reply to: #4663384

User image

Phoenix AZ

sirdizzy - 2013-03-17 3:48 PM I like the idea of 300 calories and hour I think I can do that, I'll just have to find something that doesn't give me rock gut.  I hoped off the bike last week after 35 miles drank 3/4 of a gatorade and then ate a bonk breaker and that gave me rock gut for the first mile and half of my run.  I almost always have a PBJ and banana before big races or marathons so that works well for me, done it on all 3 of my marathons and my Oly. 

i wouldn't eat something as dense as a bonk breaker right before a brick run. if you're going to go with solids on the bike make sure to break them up (like 1/4 of the bonk breaker at a time) and spread it out. this worked for me on a four-hour ride yesterday. 

have no idea how to taper for a HIM, i'm on my first too.

2013-04-03 1:47 PM

User image

I am thinking of doing the gummy stuff like shot blocks or something.

Anyone tried beef jerky on the bike?

2013-04-03 8:01 PM

Master
Northern IL
sirdizzy - 2013-03-17 12:29 PM

Also no idea what to do about race day nutrition.  On anything shorter than a half marathon I don't even take nutrition just water and maybe a little gatorade if its a race.  On marathons I have been taking S-caps and bonk breakers and or a GU every 45 minutes to an hour as I have suffered massive cramps on marathons (used to get them in halves haven't had that issue in a couple years on a half).  I am not super fast so I figure the HiM is going to take me 7-7/12 hours.  Hour on the swim, 3 1/2-4 on the bike and probably 2:30 on the run.  My half pr is 1:50, marathon pr is 4:18, I was slow on my Olympic as I got lost on the swim as it was my first open water and I was 3:30 on my Oly, but I am much better trained right now then I was from Oly on all legs. 

I like solid foods more than GUs, so I use bonk breakers on my rides more often than anything else (HiM also offers bonk breakers).  I am sure I need to take something more than just bonk breakers and or GUs for such a long race.  What does everyone do nutrition in long events?

You need to pay attention to nutrition first as that needs to be sorted out asap. The taper can wait until you actually need to taper (within a few weeks of the event). With what you've been using, has it been sitting well with you? Particularly on longer and/or harder rides & runs. Do you know how often you've been taking it during these workouts? If it seems to be ok, then work more on how much to take. Nutrition like this isn't so much about getting it *perfect* to give yourself a boost for race day, but more getting in things your body can tolerate so that you can keep on going. It'll be more avoiding things that give you problems.

I don't know much about Bonk Breakers, so can't say anything about them. Are you using Gu brand gels or do you call everything Gu? There is a difference between them and you should know that. Keep these things simple and familiar, provided they work for you.

2013-04-04 10:06 AM

User image

Expert
sirdizzy - 2013-03-17 1:29 PM

I didn't have one for my HIM but "Bento Boxes" look cool. One can keep a lot of stuff in it. I don't usually take in much bike nutrition, but my stomach was queasy on race morning so I didn't each much more than a banana and a gu before the swim. I was STARVING on the bike. I was glad I had stuff with me. 

Also, at my race, they did not offer on the bike, everything they'd advertised for. I was glad I was pretty self sufficient for that portion because the aid stops are farther in-between. There were plenty of solid foods on the run course though.. 

2013-04-24 8:18 AM

User image

I too get rot gut if I use too much gu so for my HIM i relied on a banana and half a bagel with peanut butter before the swim, a snack sized snickers during T1, then on the bike I took in a few Honey Stinger waffles and drank Hammer Perpetuem from one bottle and water from the other. On the run I did some Clif blocks and a bonk breaker. The bonk breaker was good, but I wish I had some more water on the run to wash it down. In hindsight, I probably should have eaten more during the tail end of the bike because I was really hurting on the run. My informal coach told me to treat the bike ride like a lunch, which I take into consideration during training. 
2013-05-09 5:50 AM

User image

Veteran

What about these kind of stuff? Do you think it would help?

http://www.possessedbycaffeine.com/2011/04/powerbar-cola-flavored-energy-blasts.html

Also, you can eat them one by one during your bike often...

Edited by Gladiador 2013-05-09 5:51 AM
2013-05-09 10:26 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

for my HIM im planning on using Gatorade mix with enduralytes(1 bottle per hour on the bike), and waffle/gel every 45 minutes on the bike, followed by a gel after 45min/6miles on the run.  not sure on the stinger waffle vs the gel yet; hasn't gotten hot enough for me to really test out my nutrition yet... i do know its a pain to chew while actually riding, so the gels will probably win. 

does everyone really take 2 weeks to taper? i was only going to do one week of "light" workouts with the preceding weeks being light volume building. ok that sounds like 2 weeks to me, kinda. but really isn't the goal to have fresh legs/arms on race day?  i was thinking of just increasing my swim volume the last week or two so i don't get grumpy about not working out as much.  what is a typical ride/run volume during taper?  im currently training with 120-150bike and 30-40run

2013-05-10 1:53 AM
in reply to: #4735988

User image

Veteran
I agree on one week tapering...but it's an individual thing
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tapering and nutrition for HiM Rss Feed