General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice on last Big Day out / 3.5 weeks till IM SA Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-19 8:43 AM

Subject: Advice on last Big Day out / 3.5 weeks till IM SA

Hoping some experience can direct a novice here.

3.5 weeks till ironman SA.

Have just finished a pretty big week, which went pretty well, and am looking for advice on what would benefit me more:

This Thursday, some 24 days before the race, is a public holiday, and I am deciding on whether to do a Joe Friel Big Day out ( long endurance effort in each discipline with 90 minute rests) totaling about 8 hours; OR a long run 32km - 35km

Last points to note; I am somewhat light on the running having only done one 32km run to date( last week) and so the run will probably be defining moment for me, whilst I have also not been able to put all three disciplines together in one day - have not completed a half IM or equivalent.

Any thoughts and advice very welcome

2013-03-19 9:32 AM
in reply to: #4665750

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: RE: Advice on last Big Day out / 3.5 weeks till IM SA
It sounds like doing the long run will be better for you at least mentally making you better prepared.
2013-03-19 10:29 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I had to translate kms to miles but basically you've done a 20-mile run, right? How did that feel?

What does your plan say to do? 
I'm usually a proponent of plan-following, unless something like an injury pops up.
I'm also a fan of "big days" but I'm not sure Friel and I define them exactly the same. 

Personally I would do the big day and trust that the 32km run you completed per your plan was sufficient (depending on how it went). MANY MANY folks don't get their long run up to that distance and are A-OK come race day.

2013-03-19 11:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California

It will is hard to comment specifically without knowing more of your background.  Don't underestimate the need for bike fitness.  For me, for my first, and only IM so far, I thought I had enough bike fitness, but I think my day broke down because I could have used more.  I did a big day, but further out than you are.  I also didn't run longer than 18 miles.

Not to throw in something new, because I agree with Lisa really, follow the plan, but if you want to put in a big cycling block, that might be something else to think of.  Again, take a look at your plan and where you are fitness wise before making any big changes to what you are doing.

2013-03-19 11:42 AM

User image

Regular
I would do what Joe Friel says!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice on last Big Day out / 3.5 weeks till IM SA Rss Feed