General Discussion Triathlon Talk » calcaneal bursitis vs plantar fasciitis, or "osis" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-24 8:52 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: calcaneal bursitis vs plantar fasciitis, or "osis"

I have dealt with PF for about 2 years in my left foot.  I had it in my right for about a year.  I've noticed the left foot  has been so different, and I have tried just about everything.  I had the shot and it left me with a calcaneal stress fracture.  I've done PT twice, currently a 3rd time.  This time I'm having ASTYM done.  I have done the splint, bought custom orthotics, stretched, and stretched some more, iced, heat, etc.  I've been doing a little research and I really think that I have a bursitis.  I have pain just on the bottom of the heel.  It feels like a marble stuck to my heel bone.  Like I have something in my foot.  My current PT is doing an aggressive form of "ASTYM and he noticed that my fascia is not tender at all.  It's just the pain on the bottom of my heel and now where I have favored it so much, my ankle is very weak as well.  I am calling my Ortho in the morning to try and get back in, but I guess my question is how different are the treatments for bursitis vs. PF?  I noticed when I do heel raises individually I am so much stronger with my right foot.  I am not running much at all.  And I have ordered a pair of Hoka shoes that should be here Tues.  I have also tried so many shoes.  Mostly stability/motion over the years, but the last 2 years those shoes haven't helped.  I tried Newtons and I don't think those helped or hurt.

jami

2013-03-24 6:56 PM
in reply to: #4672008

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: calcaneal bursitis vs plantar fasciitis, or "osis"
There is no bursa on the bottom of your heel.  There is one near the Achilles and sometimes people can have trouble with the fat pad on the bottom of the heel or you could have another stress fracture.  2 years is a long time to fight this.  There are some practitioners who use technology similar to what they use to break up kidney stones for this problem that may be successful for you.  Its basically a super duper strong ultrasound pulse. Worth asking about
2013-04-09 6:59 PM

I really have liittle experience running and with injuries but have you lookied into "Heel Spurs"? Might be worth looking into it, i belive some people confuse them witH PF.

I hope you recover fast!

2013-04-11 10:23 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
jdotten - 2013-03-24 3:52 PM

I have dealt with PF for about 2 years in my left foot.  I had it in my right for about a year.  I've noticed the left foot  has been so different, and I have tried just about everything.  I had the shot and it left me with a calcaneal stress fracture.  I've done PT twice, currently a 3rd time.  This time I'm having ASTYM done.  I have done the splint, bought custom orthotics, stretched, and stretched some more, iced, heat, etc.  I've been doing a little research and I really think that I have a bursitis.  I have pain just on the bottom of the heel.  It feels like a marble stuck to my heel bone.  Like I have something in my foot.  My current PT is doing an aggressive form of "ASTYM and he noticed that my fascia is not tender at all.  It's just the pain on the bottom of my heel and now where I have favored it so much, my ankle is very weak as well.  I am calling my Ortho in the morning to try and get back in, but I guess my question is how different are the treatments for bursitis vs. PF?  I noticed when I do heel raises individually I am so much stronger with my right foot.  I am not running much at all.  And I have ordered a pair of Hoka shoes that should be here Tues.  I have also tried so many shoes.  Mostly stability/motion over the years, but the last 2 years those shoes haven't helped.  I tried Newtons and I don't think those helped or hurt.

jami

I don't have an answer to your question but funnily enough I have almost exactly the same pain in my right heel. Xrays show calcium deposits (bone spur) on both heels. For some reason its only painful on the right heel though. Its been getting slowly but progressivley worse for like the last 6 months. I reached the point about 2 months ago where I just couldn't run on it anymore. I tried resting and stretching but it only marginally improved. I started this week on physio with what sounds like a similar wave bombardment therapy. They heat up these spoon shaped things and then rub / torture the hurting areas. I only had the first treatment 2 days gao so its too early to know if its working. The therapist also made it known that I carried on running on it for longer than I should have and as a result of favoring it the whole right ankle is now kind of messed up.

Anyhow I'd be interested to know how your story plays out. I'll try to update with how this therapy thing is going in my case as well. Good luck...

2013-04-11 10:28 AM
in reply to: #4693976

User image

Regular
Madrid
svalenzuela - 2013-04-10 1:59 AM

I really have liittle experience running and with injuries but have you lookied into "Heel Spurs"? Might be worth looking into it, i belive some people confuse them witH PF.

I hope you recover fast!

In my case I was told the heel spur is whats bothering the fascia tendon. They could operate to file down the spur but want to try this PT first to try and move or soothe the tendons. They were not too optimistic when I asked them if this will go away and never bother me again...

2013-04-22 10:47 AM

User image

Regular

I saw my doc again and he looked at the fascia on ultrasound.  He said that it's partially torn and has holes in it.  He also said it was very thick.  I'm scheduled to have a PRP injection on Wed., the 24th, so I hope this helps.  It feels a bit like a last ditch effort.

jami

2013-04-26 12:13 PM

User image

Regular

Well I had the PRP on Wed.  I'm on crutches for 72 hours post injection.  I can start my transition into a walking boot tomorrow.  I'm hopeful the PRP will heal my PF.  I can keep everyone updated if anyone is interested.  I am a PF sufferer that has tried it all.  I feel like I can write a book on all the treatments out there.  In fact sometimes I'll mention the PF to another runner and I have to admit I get a little annoyed when their response is "Oh, PF?  Yeah I had that once.  I put some ice on it and wore a boot thingy for a week and rested for a week and it went away."  I know there are varying degrees of PF I had it in my right foot for nearly a year after I started treatment, but it did go away.  This left foot has been a different animal.  All the things that seemed to work for the right foot did nothing for the left.  Anyway, if anyone is interested in my 12 week journey from PRP injection to hopefully healing PF, just let me know.

jami

2015-10-24 3:42 AM

Yes please! Ive had this pain for over a year now and would love to know if your surgery helped at all. Many thanks
2015-10-25 10:18 PM
in reply to: #5148674

, Ontario
Please do keep us informed. I've suffered for about 8 months and I'm currently in physio. I'm told most people have Spurs but it's only those with tendon problems that will have the PF pain. I feel like I've tried more things than I can count without any success yet. Crossing fingers for you (and everyone who has it) that this treatment works !
2015-11-19 5:45 AM
in reply to: CarolynS

Inferior heel spurs in the sole can develop as a complication of plantar fasciitis. They can be painful or not. If they are painful, they can be surgically removed.

Posterior heel spurs develop at the back of the heel.

http://www.ehealthstar.com/heel-pain.php
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » calcaneal bursitis vs plantar fasciitis, or "osis" Rss Feed