General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Dallas Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'n' Roll Dallas Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
Competitor Group
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 21m 42s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Went to the Expo Saturday. I was a little irritated that they would not let me pick up Steve's packet. I had planned to take off Friday afternoon to go. As it turned out, work was so insane I could not have gotten there anyway. I do have to say it was a good expo.

Up at 5 Sunday morning and out the door at 5:30. It was COLD and WINDY! I had 4 layers on. Ate a banana and granola bar in the car. Was expecting major traffic getting into the parking at Fair Park buy breezed right in. Tons of shuttle buses to get us to the start so I was very impressed with the organization.

Got to City Hall. Hit the porta potty. There were tons of them and the lines were not long at all. Then we huddles in a corner trying to stay warm. Had we just walked about 50 yards further, we would have seen that the Convention Center was open and we could have stayed warm in there. Dumbass move of the day I guess.

One more porta potty stop (something about being cold makes me have to pee a lot) and into the corral. Steve started up with me in coral 9.
Event warmup:

Just shivering. They did a great job with crowd management with the spacing between corrals. Once we started, I really did not feel that I was racing with 14,000 others.
Run
  • 2h 21m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a good, but challenging course. It went through some beautiful residential sections of Dallas. Roads were good. It seemed like we went uphill for the first 8 miles. The last 5 were flat to downhill with a tailwind which was nice.

It was really cold waiting for the start, but once we got going, I warmed up nicely. Ditched the throw away sweatshirt at mile 2. Gloves and jacket came off at 3. Glad I kept the gloves and ear warmers because I needed them at the finish waiting for Steve.

I had no plans to PR. Just ran a comfortable pace. Funny how last year a comfortable pace was an 11:45 mile doing a 4 minute run, 1 minute walk. Now, I maintain an upper 10mm pace without any breaks except walking the aid stations.

O, I did stop for a few seconds to pet the cutest 12 week old Boxer puppy I have ever seen. That was worth it!
What would you do differently?:

Control the weather to make it 60 and no winds. Other than that, nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

If shivering while waiting for Steve to finish counts, that was my warm-down. I got some chocolate milk, a bag of pretzels and a Mylar blanket. Waited in the finishers chute for Steve. Walked back to the car and traditional post race breakfast at Cafe Brazil.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind and cold. My back started getting tight at about mile 5 and just continued to feel tight and tired. Once I warmed up, it was fine so I am attributing it to the cold.

Event comments:

You read so many horror stories about R&R races, and I was expecting the worst. But, it was a really great, very well organized event. They handled the transit to the start very well. Parking was easy and the control at the start made for a nice uncrowded race. Lots of police. Aid stations were good. Only complaint is that not all aid stations had Gatorade. I missed filling up once because I went past the water thinking the Gatorade was after but then there was nothing. It is pricey, and the swag was just OK. But I would consider doing it again.

Last updated: 2012-12-14 12:00 AM
Running
02:21:42 | 13.1 miles | 10m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Point to point from Convention Center back to Fair Park. Through some of the rich sections of Dallas
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-03-25 10:06 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: Rock 'n' Roll Dallas Half Marathon

2013-03-25 6:47 PM
in reply to: #4673256

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Rock 'n' Roll Dallas Half Marathon
Well done Marcy congrats on a great result in yucky conditions.  You have worked so hard on your running.  Well deserved
2013-03-27 7:31 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Really awesome race, Marcy!  So happy for you that your running has come along so nicely.  Fun to recognize that what seemed impossible last year is routine now.  What a great feeling!

2013-03-27 2:13 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Nice job in not-so-great weather!  Just think, at least you didn't have to start the race by swimming
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Dallas Half Marathon Rss Feed