Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Job Hunting Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-03-26 2:48 PM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Subject: Job Hunting

So we have recently had a few postings regarding job searches and related experiences good and bad.  I would like to open the discussion to everyone in and related to this topic to contribute their experiences.   For those in the hunt for a new revenue source I would like to hear what various recruiters, HR and employers look for, favorite interview tips, tricks and questions.  

Lets start off with a fresh question: How common is it to see a posting for a job that does not have a closing date?  What is an acceptable time to wait for a reply before you contact the potenital employer to ask for an update?

2013-03-26 3:17 PM
in reply to: #4675444

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Job Hunting

I'll bite.

I've been looking to re-locate for about a year or two - can't count the number of jobs I've applied for. 95% of them I have been right-on-point qualified for in terms of education, experience and industry knowledge. The last experience I even had a strong recommendation from my (current) manager who is supportive of my career goals - he knew the hiring manager professionally and exchanged 4-5 emails/calls recommending me. I was told I had the right qualifications, nailed the interview and they respected my recommendation - but there were 3 other people who were better than me and they moved on to the final round. Frustrating. So I have NO IDEA what they are looking for - except they said those 3 folks had 100% experience in one specific area, while that was only a part of my work portfolio. So much for being well-rounded; I always thought that was a good quality to have.

Rant over...

Here are the questions I was asked in the interview - just for kicks (all had to be answered in the STAR format-- situation, task, action, result):

1. Describe how your education and experience have prepared you to succeed in this position.
2. Tell me about a time when you forgot something. 
3. Tell me about a time when you worked with key leaders in your organization.

My new favorite question to ask at the end of the interview is:

Is there any reason I would not advance to the next level of the hiring process (or any reason you would not hire me)? This gives you a chance to address or clarify anything that might be a mark against you. 

As for your closing date question, I would not bug the employer with asking for updates. They will contact you if they want to talk to you. (I'm sure someone will jump in and contradict me with an extraordinary story about how they contacted HR and that was the reason they got their job because of persistence... in 3...2...1...)

2013-03-26 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4675490

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
lisac957 - 2013-03-26 4:17 PM

I've been looking to re-locate for about a year or two - 

I've got an opening in the Philly area. Do you know Junos, IOS XR, and MEF standards?

2013-03-26 3:22 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

lisa - were the other candidates local?  i know a LOT of companies have eliminated relocation benefits to cut costs or after taking a beating on too many houses.  i've always been willing to move but lately it has not been as much of a selling point...(which is crazy because when i graduated the advice was GO where the jobs are, not stay put and hope for a job to open up)

2013-03-26 3:24 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
lisac957 - 2013-03-26 3:17 PM

I'll bite.

I've been looking to re-locate for about a year or two - can't count the number of jobs I've applied for. 95% of them I have been right-on-point qualified for in terms of education, experience and industry knowledge. The last experience I even had a strong recommendation from my (current) manager who is supportive of my career goals - he knew the hiring manager professionally and exchanged 4-5 emails/calls recommending me. I was told I had the right qualifications, nailed the interview and they respected my recommendation - but there were 3 other people who were better than me and they moved on to the final round. Frustrating. So I have NO IDEA what they are looking for - except they said those 3 folks had 100% experience in one specific area, while that was only a part of my work portfolio. So much for being well-rounded; I always thought that was a good quality to have.

Rant over...

Here are the questions I was asked in the interview - just for kicks (all had to be answered in the STAR format-- situation, task, action, result):

1. Describe how your education and experience have prepared you to succeed in this position.

Is there any reason I would not advance to the next level of the hiring process (or any reason you would not hire me)? This gives you a chance to address or clarify anything that might be a mark against you. 

As for your closing date question, I would not bug the employer with asking for updates. They will contact you if they want to talk to you. (I'm sure someone will jump in and contradict me with an extraordinary story about how they contacted HR and that was the reason they got their job because of persistence... in 3...2...1...)

Nope...you call me more than once, I count that as not listening.

Fit is a HUGE factor in hiring decisions. In my company, I have as much pull on a candidate moving forward as the hiring manager does. Good, bad, indifferent....it's the way it is. They look to me for bits and pieces that they didn't catch. I let them give the techincal interview and I get the personality interview. They give me the paramaters of what they are looking for (specific degree, X years of expereince, type of work done, etc). I find them candidates. A good resume is key here. You have about 15 seconds of my time with your resume.......make sure it counts.

Questions I ask:

What is the last book you read?
If you were a superhero (or fictional character) who would you be and why?
If I gave you $1M to start your own business, what would it be and why?

2013-03-26 3:25 PM
in reply to: #4675498

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
mehaner - 2013-03-26 3:22 PM

lisa - were the other candidates local?  i know a LOT of companies have eliminated relocation benefits to cut costs or after taking a beating on too many houses.  i've always been willing to move but lately it has not been as much of a selling point...(which is crazy because when i graduated the advice was GO where the jobs are, not stay put and hope for a job to open up)

I don't know about the other candidates, but relocation was not offered and they made sure to confirm that I was aware of it every time we spoke. I was ready to pay for my own relocation. Hopefully that was not a factor otherwise I'll NEVER get out of here!

2013-03-26 3:27 PM
in reply to: #4675503

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

bradleyd3 - 2013-03-26 3:24 PM  Questions I ask: What is the last book you read? If you were a superhero (or fictional character) who would you be and why? If I gave you $1M to start your own business, what would it be and why?

I've never been in an interview that asked these types of obscure questions.
What are you looking for in their answers? 

2013-03-26 3:33 PM
in reply to: #4675512

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
lisac957 - 2013-03-26 3:27 PM

bradleyd3 - 2013-03-26 3:24 PM  Questions I ask: What is the last book you read? If you were a superhero (or fictional character) who would you be and why? If I gave you $1M to start your own business, what would it be and why?

How quick they can think on thier feet....what are their passions....

They're simple if you have time to think about what you're going to answer.

Everyone (normally) is prepared for the standard interview. I add to it.

I also ask if they were a character on Friends....who would they be and why? (gives me a little more insite to personality)

Edited by bradleyd3 2013-03-26 3:33 PM
2013-03-26 3:45 PM
in reply to: #4675517

User image

Extreme Veteran
bradleyd3 - 2013-03-26 1:33 PM

How quick they can think on thier feet....what are their passions.... They're simple if you have time to think about what you're going to answer. Everyone (normally) is prepared for the standard interview. I add to it. I also ask if they were a character on Friends....who would they be and why? (gives me a little more insite to personality)

If I were on Friends I would be Jerry Seinfeld.

2013-03-26 3:54 PM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

So Brad, when your processing a posting do you establish closing date and timeline to help the hiring authority make a decision?  Is it comon to not list the  dates?  In my situation I can't do an immediate fill type job but I can negotiate something in late spring early summer.  Should one apply anyway? if it was a key element of the job that would be in the posting...right.

Good questions from both sides to consider.  Is the STAR format standard practice? It would be easy to use and structure answers then.

2013-03-26 3:57 PM
in reply to: #4675549

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
tcarlson78 - 2013-03-26 3:54 PM

So Brad, when your processing a posting do you establish closing date and timeline to help the hiring authority make a decision?  Is it comon to not list the  dates?  In my situation I can't do an immediate fill type job but I can negotiate something in late spring early summer.  Should one apply anyway? if it was a key element of the job that would be in the posting...right.

Good questions from both sides to consider.  Is the STAR format standard practice? It would be easy to use and structure answers then.

Normally don't have a closing date....unless it's an immediate need job. We wait for right fit for the job.

For example....had a position in sales. Liked a kid that was graduating in May. Extended the offer and he accepted. While we could have used someone right now....this guy fit better than the other applicants and interviews. We can hold off another month and a half.

2013-03-26 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4675517

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
bradleyd3 - 2013-03-26 4:33 PM

How quick they can think on thier feet....what are their passions.... They're simple if you have time to think about what you're going to answer. Everyone (normally) is prepared for the standard interview. I add to it. I also ask if they were a character on Friends....who would they be and why? (gives me a little more insite to personality)

Insite to personality?  How does selecting a charater reflect their personality? 

2013-03-26 4:00 PM
in reply to: #4675559

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
tcarlson78 - 2013-03-26 3:58 PM

Insite to personality?  How does selecting a charater reflect their personality? 

How does it NOT reflect their personality?

It's who they identify with. It has everything to do with thier personality.

2013-03-26 4:11 PM
in reply to: #4675564

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
bradleyd3 - 2013-03-26 5:00 PM

How does it NOT reflect their personality? It's who they identify with. It has everything to do with thier personality.

Im still a little fuzzy on that logic.  However it does bring up a point, can I ask for clarification?  In your question I would ask, do you want who I most identify with or who I would most like to have dinner with.  The latter is easier for me to answer but the other makes me try to guess what your looking for (more than answer I think you want rather than my inital thought)

2013-03-26 4:13 PM
in reply to: #4675582

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
tcarlson78 - 2013-03-26 4:11 PM

bradleyd3 - 2013-03-26 5:00 PM

How does it NOT reflect their personality? It's who they identify with. It has everything to do with thier personality.

Im still a little fuzzy on that logic.  However it does bring up a point, can I ask for clarification?  In your question I would ask, do you want who I most identify with or who I would most like to have dinner with.  The latter is easier for me to answer but the other makes me try to guess what your looking for (more than answer I think you want rather than my inital thought)

Answer what YOU think....not what you think I (the interviewer) want to hear.

Part of HR is psychology.

2013-03-26 4:17 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
bradleyd3 - 2013-03-26 4:00 PM

So if I answered "Catwoman" would you automatically assume I was a criminal (she was a jewel thief), a fake (who used disguises), a liar (she made up a story to get out of a crime) - among other things?

Or it might be because it was the first female character I could think of, and I like Halle Berry. 

I think using these types of questions (rather than experience or ability to do the job) is quite judgmental in the hiring process. Which is okay I suppose, if you're given the green light to hire that way.

2013-03-26 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4675601

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
lisac957 - 2013-03-26 5:17 PM
bradleyd3 - 2013-03-26 4:00 PM

So if I answered "Catwoman" would you automatically assume I was a criminal (she was a jewel thief), a fake (who used disguises), a liar (she made up a story to get out of a crime) - among other things?

Or it might be because it was the first female character I could think of, and I like Halle Berry. 

I think using these types of questions (rather than experience or ability to do the job) is quite judgmental in the hiring process. Which is okay I suppose, if you're given the green light to hire that way.

Wait a minute, When was Catwoman on Friends?  It must have been during the Ross Rachel "break" I can't believe I missed that one.

Edited by tcarlson78 2013-03-26 4:21 PM
2013-03-26 4:21 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
bradleyd3 - 2013-03-26 3:00 PM

So is the creepy naked guy an incorrect answer?

I think having a well tailored resume is something that can be overlooked as well. I recently applied for a job I would love to have but am 90% not qualified for. I know I could get up to speed quickly though and was trying to emphasize that. I sat down and spent an hour tailoring my resume to that exact position. I never lied once on it but I emphasized everything I could that was even remotely close. Out of 500+ people I was one of 20 to get a phone interview upon which they confirmed that they didn't want to bring me up to speed with the other qualified candidates they had. The point is I still got an interview despite leaving off some very important skills that they were asking for because I haven't had any experience with them yet.

2013-03-26 4:33 PM
in reply to: #4675503

User image

Master
Chicago
bradleyd3 - 2013-03-26 3:24 PM
lisac957 - 2013-03-26 3:17 PM

I'll bite.

Rant over...

Nope...you call me more than once, I count that as not listening. Fit is a HUGE factor in hiring decisions. In my company, I have as much pull on a candidate moving forward as the hiring manager does. Good, bad, indifferent....it's the way it is. They look to me for bits and pieces that they didn't catch. I let them give the techincal interview and I get the personality interview. They give me the paramaters of what they are looking for (specific degree, X years of expereince, type of work done, etc). I find them candidates. A good resume is key here. You have about 15 seconds of my time with your resume.......make sure it counts. Questions I ask: What is the last book you read? If you were a superhero (or fictional character) who would you be and why? If I gave you $1M to start your own business, what would it be and why?

I use the $1m one all the time as well.  I use it to see if they can think on their feet.  If I put them in front of a C level at my clients they will have to think  on their feet.  

Every once in a while, I'll also in the middle of the interview just stop and ask the candidate what my name is.  I want to see if they are paying attention to details and can remember those details when they are put on the spot.  This will happen to them with our clients as well.  

Edited by mattb1 2013-03-26 4:36 PM
2013-03-26 4:39 PM
in reply to: #4675601

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
lisac957 - 2013-03-26 4:17 PM

p>

If you said Catwoman....I'd ask why? If you said "becuase I'm a lying criminal" then you have issues. If you said becuase she got the job done and was able to wear different hats to accomplish her goals.....that's an acceptable answer.

I do ask about expereince and abilities (and so do the hiring managers since they give the technical interview) but I want to know about YOU. I want to know what makes you tick, how you react to different unknowns, etc. It's not being judgemental.....it's getting to know the person in a different way.

Anyone can answer "strengths, weakness, tell me about a time, etc". We're programed to answer those questions. Those are what countless articles/books are about....how to do well in an interview. So...when I toss in a thought provoking question it gives me a better understanding of YOU.....and again...not what you THINK I want to hear.

2013-03-26 4:42 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Honestly I never got into superheros. Ever.
I had to think really hard to come up with Catwoman - I don't know the names of any other ones besides Batman and Spiderman. And it's really because it's the first female character I could think of. And I do like Halle Berry. No other reason. (I googled all that other stuff).

Do I not get the job?  

Just an example of how an obscure question like that might not give you the whole story.

Edited by lisac957 2013-03-26 4:43 PM

2013-03-26 4:45 PM
in reply to: #4675652

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
lisac957 - 2013-03-26 4:42 PM

Honestly I never got into superheros. Ever.
I had to think really hard to come up with Catwoman - I don't know the names of any other ones besides Batman and Spiderman. And it's really because it's the first female character I could think of. And I do like Halle Berry. No other reason. (I googled all that other stuff).

Do I not get the job?  

Just an example of how an obscure question like that might not give you the whole story.

Superhero....or any fictional character.

Like Tony....he picked Ariel (The Little Mermaid) becuase all he wanted to do was be a real human.

and Cord. He picked Belle from Twilight. I still can't wrap my head around it.

2013-03-26 4:46 PM

User image

Champion
SoCal

If someone freaked out by not having an answer for a queston I could see that being very useful.

2013-03-26 4:47 PM
in reply to: #4675633

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
mattb1 - 2013-03-26 4:33 PM

Every once in a while, I'll also in the middle of the interview just stop and ask the candidate what my name is.  I want to see if they are paying attention to details and can remember those details when they are put on the spot.  This will happen to them with our clients as well.  

That will be used in my next interview.

Thanks for that one!

2013-03-26 4:49 PM
in reply to: #4675662

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

bradleyd3 - 2013-03-26 4:47 PM
mattb1 - 2013-03-26 4:33 PM Every once in a while, I'll also in the middle of the interview just stop and ask the candidate what my name is.  I want to see if they are paying attention to details and can remember those details when they are put on the spot.  This will happen to them with our clients as well.  
That will be used in my next interview. Thanks for that one!

And I'd probably think ya'll were off your rockers and take your company off my list

Random "what's my name" questions? I'm sorry but that's kooky!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Job Hunting Rss Feed  

of 4