General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adamo seat issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-26 9:26 PM

User image

Spokane
Subject: Adamo seat issues
I just recently upgraded from a POS seat off amazon to a Adamo TT seat. I love the seat it is very comfortable but i have been having left hip pain, left hamstring pain and left knee pain. I have tried a bunch of different seat positions and heights and nothing seems to help. Could it be due to the seat being wider up front? I ad the bike fitted to the other seat via Retul fit, then i switched seats after that.

2013-03-26 10:03 PM
in reply to: #4675915

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Adamo seat issues

did you watch the videos on getting your seat setup?  adamo seats are higher and therefore need the seat lowered 4-5mm if I recall correctly. Since the nose is not there either you need to pay attention to where the front of the your other saddle had been. hopefully you marked everything before hand so you can put your old seat back on. 

Also you could try to go back in for a quick fit or guidance on getting better.

I have the adamo road and I use a zip tie on the front (ruins warranty but mine wasn't under warranty) to suck the nose in. Too wide for me otherwise. 

2013-03-26 10:42 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

I think I need to go in to have somebody check out my Adamo position, too.

I've been struggling with my Adamo ever since I bought my TT bike in '11. I was setup by a reputable fitter, but it has been so uncomfortable to ride the Adamo that I have been reluctant to use the TT bike except shortly before races. I felt that rather than resting on my sit bones, I was so far forward on the Adamo that something other than my sit bones was perched directly on the rails. Perhaps I was supposed to get used to this, but it never really happened. A 1-hour trainer ride on my road bike is a pleasure, but on the TT bike it has been an ordeal. Bad when in aero, and even worse when sitting up.

So tonight I decided to try to fix my set up. I moved the seat forwards a bit, so that I could get closer to resting my sit bones on the front of the Adamo seat. This allowed me to also use the zip tie trick to narrow the rails a little. Presto! It wasn't immediate butt-bliss, but the ride was certainly more comfortable. I managed most of hard ride, and as usual I felt the strain of riding in different places on my legs than when I ride the roadie. More quad soreness, and also more engagement of the medial area of the hamstrings. But overall an encouraging improvement from moving the Adamo. But then a few minutes after the ride one of my medial upper leg muscles went into spasm, and it was painful to walk. One of the adductors, I think. I can only assume that this is a consequence of the 'improved' seat position. Damn. Now I'll have to take a couple of days off for that.

2013-03-27 6:25 AM
in reply to: #4675950

User image

Extreme Veteran
spie34 - 2013-03-26 11:03 PM

did you watch the videos on getting your seat setup?  adamo seats are higher and therefore need the seat lowered 4-5mm if I recall correctly. Since the nose is not there either you need to pay attention to where the front of the your other saddle had been. hopefully you marked everything before hand so you can put your old seat back on. 

Also you could try to go back in for a quick fit or guidance on getting better.

I have the adamo road and I use a zip tie on the front (ruins warranty but mine wasn't under warranty) to suck the nose in. Too wide for me otherwise. 

X2 on the zip tie idea. I have done the same.

2013-03-27 6:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

with my Adamo seat, I had to adjust the angle of the nose down a little more than what the videos said.  This helped drasticaly with any discomfort in my legs...

Sounds like you might need to have the fit checked again.  The Adamo is going to have you sitting slightly different than a traditional saddle.  This would make sense that you are having pain...you are in a different position than you were previously.

2013-03-27 7:08 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Just because the Adamo seat works for a lot of people doesn't mean it is the right seat for you.

Just because it is not working right now doesn't mean it is the wrong saddle either.

If your seat is uncomfortable enough that you have been avoiding riding your bike, "Houston, we have a problem."

I would take your bike back to the fitter with the new saddle and get some fine-tuning. Tiny changes in saddle position can make huge differences in comfort. Just a MM or two of nose tilt or seat height may completely change your relationship with your saddle. Then again it may not.

I rode my current saddle, on the trainer, all winter without an issue. For some reason I got a bug that I needed to adjust the height and angle of the seat. First ride with the changed position I developed two sores/hot-spots. Needless to say, I put it back the way it was.

2013-03-27 10:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
I have the ISM Adamo Road on my road and Tri bike. It DOES take some adjustment period and if you watch the video (sorry if you already did) they will say you may need to lower the saddle some as it sits higher than normal saddle. Lowering the saddle and tilting nose down slightly dialed it in for me. Hip and Knee issues sounds like a larger overall bike fit issue- my issues with the new saddle were limited to butt soreness and man part areas. Good luck.
2013-03-27 10:25 AM

User image

Regular
+1 on going back in and getting a quick re-fit.  During my Retul fitting and test riding numerous bikes, I tried different saddles and switching to/from Adamo made a huge difference in comfort, position, etc.  I ended up going with an Adamo Breakaway and so far so good.  But Adamo saddles definitely aren't for everybody, the guy who did my Retul fitting doesn't like them at all (width issue).
2013-03-27 10:38 AM

Master
Northern IL
Can you talk to the fitter about this? You're not really describing typical issues seen with adjustment to an Adamo.
2013-03-27 4:13 PM
in reply to: #4676090

User image

Spokane
TriGuy05 - 2013-03-27 4:33 AM

with my Adamo seat, I had to adjust the angle of the nose down a little more than what the videos said.  This helped drasticaly with any discomfort in my legs...

Sounds like you might need to have the fit checked again.  The Adamo is going to have you sitting slightly different than a traditional saddle.  This would make sense that you are having pain...you are in a different position than you were previously.

Did some more tilt in the front today and it really helped out.

Thanks for all the responses!

2013-03-27 8:00 PM

Veteran
Probably one of 2 things. 1. Seat is to height giving too much extension to that joint. In your fitting, did they take a look at leg length discrepancy?
2. Your sitting too far back on the saddle. This would cause the hip to rotate outward and the knee to hit extension early. You should sit down so everything hangs off the front of the seat. Good luck

2013-03-28 6:53 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
+whatever on being refit.

My fitter was very clear in explaining that the fit of my Adamo saddle vs a traditional one would be different enough to warrant a refitting if I switched between the two. As I recall in addition to sitting higher, since the Adamo is designed for you to sit more up front than a normal saddle, it needs to be farther back as well.
2013-09-09 9:25 AM
in reply to: 0

Glad I found this thread. Just bought a new tri bike and added the Adamo Racing II saddle to it. For my first 200 miles everything was going well, despite some serious discomfort on long rides, but then mid-week my left knee started bothering me during the ride. Thought I might have pushed it too hard and rested for a few days.

On Saturday did a long ride and was feeling good until my left knee started hurting again, this time it was so serious at some points I was worried it was going to pop. Thankfully it was only during the last 5 miles so I was able to get away with pedaling with just my right leg or build up some speed and then coast. It was pretty painful though and had me worried. My knee felt like it was bruised the rest of the day when I would put pressure on it to stand up. I've also noticed that I have a lot more float in my new pedals than on my previous bike (same pedal but brand new).

The good news is that the knee pain didn't bother me during a 12 mile run yesterday. I told myself I would see how I felt in the first few miles before continuing but didn't have any lingering pain.

I am going to take my bike back in for a re-fit and hope that helps. My first HIM is at the end of the month and I don't want any issues.

Edited by tb1000 2013-09-09 9:28 AM
2013-09-09 2:44 PM
in reply to: tb1000

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
I also went through some period of adjustment with my Adamo TT but now have it dialed in.  I love the fact that I can race and never even think of my saddle.  Before the Adamo I couldn't wait for the bike segment to be over, now it's my favorite part of the race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adamo seat issues Rss Feed