General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Natural Honey v. Natural Maple Syrup Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-27 10:12 AM

User image

NC
Subject: Natural Honey v. Natural Maple Syrup

I always assumed maple syrup bad, honey good.  Both natural and honey is local.  I have even stopped using syrup on waffles in favor of honey.  This morning, I used some natural maple syrup in my yogurt and it was plenty yummy.  So curiosity took hold, and I found this article that seems to say they are about equal on the healthy spectrum, depending on what your are looking for (I have no idea about this source): http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/nutrition-pure-maple-syrup-vs-honey-1756.html.  Can any nutritionist-types comment on the use of either as a sweetener? 

2013-03-27 10:22 AM
in reply to: #4676441

User image

Subject: RE: Natural Honey v. Natural Maple Syrup
I am not a nutritionist type and I don't have the magazine in front of me, but I seem to recall a Runner's World article/sidebar that leaned slightly toward Maple Syrup (the real stuff) over Honey because of antioxidants in Maple Syrup.  
2013-03-27 11:37 AM

User image

Regular

I am also not a nutritionist.  I have done some research though.  Honey and pure maple syrup are the best kind of sweeteners health wise, but should still be used sparingly.  

Here is a pretty good article about it:

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2010/06/14/sweeteners-101/

Edited by cdivine9 2013-03-27 11:39 AM
2013-03-27 2:32 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Take this with the grain of salt that comes from my strong anti-sugar bias..... Either one is going to break down in your system the same way from a macronutrient perspective. But if you'd want one over another, as a failed beekeeper, I would encourage the honey for the diversity of micronutrients you will find by virtue of the way bees gather it. Think of it as the difference between a biodiverse sugar and a monoculture crop, as the sap is just boiled down from one source. I would also go so new agey as to call the honey a living food, and the boiled down syrup a dead one. Honey that hasn't been messed with, will have enzymes and lots of great stuff.

I'd just avoid putting it on anything that was wheat based, but now I'm getting way off your initial question.

2013-04-01 4:22 AM

It very much depends on the processes involved in making it - like olive oil and extra virgin olive oil. The cold-pressed, additive-free EV has all the monounsaturated and antioxidant properties and benefits of olives.

But if a brand of natural maple syrup uses heat and chemicals to make it then the properties change - albeit nothing like it does to delicate fats who denature with heat.

Just make sure you mix them with complex carbs and do not mix them with saturated fats for health purposes. Mix with healthy fats if you like.

Even so, they will still spike insulin and encourage fat gain if spiked to high at the wrong times of day.

General research would say consume them in the morning. Modern research would suggest you avoid them like the plague in the morning as insulin and cortisol don't mix well, but consume them later when insulin sensitivity and cortisol are low or after resistance training when the spike will force them into your muscles.
2013-04-01 4:22 PM
in reply to: #4676895

User image

Master
PNW
TheClaaaw - 2013-03-27 12:32 PM Take this with the grain of salt that comes from my strong anti-sugar bias..... Either one is going to break down in your system the same way from a macronutrient perspective. But if you'd want one over another, as a failed beekeeper, I would encourage the honey for the diversity of micronutrients you will find by virtue of the way bees gather it. Think of it as the difference between a biodiverse sugar and a monoculture crop, as the sap is just boiled down from one source. I would also go so new agey as to call the honey a living food, and the boiled down syrup a dead one. Honey that hasn't been messed with, will have enzymes and lots of great stuff.

I'd just avoid putting it on anything that was wheat based, but now I'm getting way off your initial question.

100% agree with this one.  An added bonus is that if your honey is raw and local to you and you have seasonal allergies, there have been studies showing that consuming the honey can help reduce the severity of the allergic reaction.

But yes, in terms of how your body processes them there is little difference.

Oh, and other thing to consider is your psychological response to them.  Personally, I love 100% maple syrup and have a real problem consuming it in moderation as it is a 'food with no brakes' for me.  Honey, not so much. So in my case, I'd choose honey so as to be better able to control my intake.  YMMV of course.

2013-04-03 9:16 AM
in reply to: #4682345

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
GLC1968 - 2013-04-01 5:22 PM
TheClaaaw - 2013-03-27 12:32 PM Take this with the grain of salt that comes from my strong anti-sugar bias..... Either one is going to break down in your system the same way from a macronutrient perspective. But if you'd want one over another, as a failed beekeeper, I would encourage the honey for the diversity of micronutrients you will find by virtue of the way bees gather it. Think of it as the difference between a biodiverse sugar and a monoculture crop, as the sap is just boiled down from one source. I would also go so new agey as to call the honey a living food, and the boiled down syrup a dead one. Honey that hasn't been messed with, will have enzymes and lots of great stuff.

100% agree with this one.  An added bonus is that if your honey is raw and local to you and you have seasonal allergies, there have been studies showing that consuming the honey can help reduce the severity of the allergic reaction.

But yes, in terms of how your body processes them there is little difference.

Oh, and other thing to consider is your psychological response to them.  Personally, I love 100% maple syrup and have a real problem consuming it in moderation as it is a 'food with no brakes' for me.  Honey, not so much. So in my case, I'd choose honey so as to be better able to control my intake.  YMMV of course.

I have been having local honey on an english muffin almost every morning for the last year and a half and have had no allergy problems at all.

2013-04-06 8:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
There is a difference in 'grade A' maple syrup and 'grade B'. It has to do with the time of year they are collected . Grade B has a ton of minerals and can be very healthy IN MODERATION. http://www.livestrong.com/article/412144-nutrition-of-pure-maple-sy... is a good comparison. It still favors honey- but talks about the minerals in maple syrup. I know I did a fast several years ago with lemon juice and maple syrup only for several days and felt NO hunger so I knew it had something of substnance ( minerals) in it.They both are sugars so extreme moderation is the key

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-04-06 8:17 AM
2013-04-06 2:25 PM
in reply to: #4689202

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Did you just coin the phrase "extreme moderation?" I like it.
2013-04-06 2:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
I am addicted to the raw natural honey. Have it just about every morning with english muffin. Prefer raw as it has not been tampered with and lost its nutrients.
2013-04-06 5:47 PM

Leawood, Kansas
As a beekeeper, I can tell you that you don't want "filtered" honey, as it has been heated to remove larger particulate matter (such as pollen), thereby altering its nutritional value and taste. In addition, there are all kinds of concerns about adulterated and even counterfeit honey that China has been dumping, so you definitely want to select honey from a local source.

Unless you use comb honey, all honey is strained to remove things like grass, leaves, and bee parts, and other insects that may have wound up in the hive. Strained is good, filtered is not. If the honey crystallizes on you (as it will eventually, if it sits long enough), you can gently heat the container in a pan of warm water just until it liquifies again. Honey does not spoil.

I can't wait to be swimming in the stuff later this season!

2013-04-07 4:46 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Both are naturally occurring so it's fairly safe to say that in small volumes, they're not going to hurt you.

Personally, I use maple syrup (from a local sugar shack) for lots of things. Tastes amazing and you only need a little of it. I do like honey, but I'm a bit sensitive so I could have allergic reaction to it (and yes, that's raw honey)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Natural Honey v. Natural Maple Syrup Rss Feed