General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to go for open water swim training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-28 8:50 AM

Subject: Where to go for open water swim training

Hey there, new at this stuff...I was wondering if there are any places to practice open water swimming in the Carroll/Howard/Baltimore/Harford/Fredrick county areas. I haven't dipped into an open water swim venue since I was a kid and really want to get my feet wet a few times before my first triathlon.

Thanks for any advice!

2013-03-28 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4677629

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: RE: Where to go for open water swim training
Hammerman State Park in the White Marsh/Chase area allows OWS I believe. I am not sure when/how I have just heard some people have down OWS there. If your looking into the Harford County area, shoot me a PM. My triathlon club does OWS in the Bush River in Abingdon since a club member lives on the water. I am sure Howard County does some at Centennial Lake and you can always check out Mid Maryland Tri Club to see what they do in Howard County for OWS.
2013-03-28 12:59 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Centennial does not allow OWS, except during races and specific events.

MMTC members typical head to Hammerman or Sandy Point State Park. Racine Multisport also runs OWS at Fort Ritchie, up in Cascade. MD

Unfortunately, OWS locations are pretty limited in MD.

BTW, Hammerman is a specific area within Gunpowder Falls State Park

Edited by HillSlugger 2013-03-28 1:00 PM

2013-04-04 6:21 AM

Thanks, folk....I didn't know about Hammerman. I had heard about the fort richie clinics but I know they are infrequent.

I will look into MMTC and heading to Hammerman area. Is swimming permitted there before Memorial day? It doesn't say on the website.

Thanks again for the help!

2013-04-04 2:36 PM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland

Along with what has already been posted I've found that swimming next to the water aerobics class at the pool is a pretty good OWS simulation. 

2013-04-05 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Sandy Point, being east of Annapolis, may be a little far afield for you. When I was trying to get folks together to swim at Sandy Point last year, they were requiring that people doing swim training alert the park service ahead of time. The guidelines they have mostly apply to tri clinics, but they do want anyone doing OWS to send them an email by mid-week. Jay Kenty is the person I communicated with, and his email is [email protected]. I am not sure if the same rules would apply at Hammerman, but it would be worth finding out in advance.

2013-04-25 11:04 AM

User image

This might be a little out of your way, for the Rockville Swim and Fitness Center is having a OWS simulation in their outdoor pool on May 4th & 5th

http://www.rockvillemd.gov/swimcenter/triathlon.html

2013-04-29 1:33 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-03 10:31 PM

Master
University Park, MD

I did my first OWS at the practice sessions that Racine Multisports organizes at Fort Ritchie, in the Catoctins north of Frederick/Hagerstown. It's a bit of a trek from the city, but it's a good place to start. Lake Royer is small, murky, and shallow. So a good simulation of the experience of OWS, but one where you can easily stand up when you freak out.

I did my second OWS practice at a clinic at Sandy Point SP. Very different experience with the waves. I wouldn't have wanted that as my first.

2013-05-05 11:20 AM

Master
Maryland
ahallhou - 2013-03-28 9:50 AM

Hey there, new at this stuff...I was wondering if there are any places to practice open water swimming in the Carroll/Howard/Baltimore/Harford/Fredrick county areas. I haven't dipped into an open water swim venue since I was a kid and really want to get my feet wet a few times before my first triathlon.

Thanks for any advice!

www.racinemultisports.com offers ows sessions up at Ft. Ritchie in Maryland.

2013-06-10 12:23 PM
in reply to: ahallhou

Hey all- thanks for the input. I actually found a spot that I don't think is on many people's radar and I thought I would share: Oregon Ridge Beach is a small quarry in Cockeysville. There is a roped-off area that you are confined to, but it looks to be about 100m around the perimeter. $8 on weekends for adults. It is in a lovely area for cycling and they even have a few miles of trails for a nice run afterwards.

The quarry is very deep and the water is murky, but its a heck of a lot better than driving an hour to Hammerman, Sandy Point, or Ft Richie from Westminster!
I narrowly missed coliding with a snapping turtle at one point! Glad he decided to get out of my way!

2013-06-10 11:51 PM
in reply to: ahallhou

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by ahallhou

Hey all- thanks for the input. I actually found a spot that I don't think is on many people's radar and I thought I would share: Oregon Ridge Beach is a small quarry in Cockeysville. There is a roped-off area that you are confined to, but it looks to be about 100m around the perimeter. $8 on weekends for adults. It is in a lovely area for cycling and they even have a few miles of trails for a nice run afterwards.

The quarry is very deep and the water is murky, but its a heck of a lot better than driving an hour to Hammerman, Sandy Point, or Ft Richie from Westminster!
I narrowly missed coliding with a snapping turtle at one point! Glad he decided to get out of my way!

This was sounding pretty good until you mentioned the part about the snapping turtle. Those guys can be nasty!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to go for open water swim training Rss Feed