General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Taking Care of Myself Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-05-04 8:18 AM
in reply to: #4680447

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Taking Care of Myself

Observation went really well. My son informed me out of the blue this week that he wants to play baseball. So I dug out his little league stuff from a few years ago and we played catch for a while. It was great.

One of the things I like best about taking care of me, is that I have more emotional/physical energy to take care of him. 

2013-05-08 5:13 PM

User image

Expert

I had a great day today. Got a good workout in this morning. Ate clean. I came home, changed... then suddenly felt really restless, 

sort of out of no where. 

So, mentally, I took a step back. I just, stopped. I sat down and took some time to just look out the window.  I was quiet for a few minutes, taking note of my breathing, listening to the birds, letting my mind empty. '

I pictured the negative anxiety of the moment, slowly floating down the river.

While all the time, I was standing on the river bank calm, and peaceful...

2013-05-15 8:30 AM

User image

Expert

When I get my panties in a bunch over work meetings/issues/colleagues? That's a big trigger to grab bad food.

I've been working on getting over bad conversations and moving on.

2013-05-15 5:38 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

Hi Kate,

This is a great topic - thanks for starting it.  I'm sure more people will post if you keep it going.

I've been wrestling with an extra 10 lbs since the holidays.  My parents moved to Maui (right next door, which is AWESOME!) last October, so for a few months I wasn't eating as strict as I normally do (I've been Paleo for over 2 years now).  I've now gone back to being more strict, but the occasional treat still works it's way in - funny thing is now, especially if it's sugar, I get a headache in about 20 minutes after eating it.  But then I forget about the headache and do it again and again.

I need to develop a mechanism for remembering that even though it sounds good and I think I need it, it will not FEEL good if I eat it.  I read a post from another triathlete's blog recently that said something like "I am better at abstinence than I am at moderation."  I totally fit that concept! Maybe THAT should be my new mantra.

So far I have gotten rid of all the "bad" things in the house, and I have stocked my little fridge at work with good snacks (nuts, baby carrots, etc.).

BTW - I've been following Vinnie Tortorich for several months now - his concept is "no sugar no grains" "NSNG."  It's simple and it really works.  Check him out.

2013-05-17 12:56 PM
in reply to: DiOnMaui

User image

Expert
Originally posted by DiOnMaui

I've been following Vinnie Tortorich for several months now - his concept is "no sugar no grains" "NSNG."  It's simple and it really works.  Check him out.

Thanks Di. I entirely agree with you. That's a great diet philosophy, and overall best for one's body. Sugar and grains doesn't do anything positive for anyone's body.
My issue has been that even though I my diet is clean, if I get bored, or stressed, and don't deal with it in a healthy way, I can talk myself back into going out to grab bad food.

The whole, you are not allowed to eat that, isn't really enough of a deterrent. At least for me.

2013-06-04 5:38 AM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Expert

Today, one step in front of the other. Continued stress at work. Sometimes it's so hard not to get overwhelmed with negative feelings.  I love my job, and love most of my co-workers, but little incidents can gnaw at me and make me crazy. 

Part of taking care of me is letting them go.. pray it away.. visualize it away. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot with escapist behavior like eating bad or lashing out at others. 

Let there be peace. 

2013-06-09 8:51 PM

User image

Expert

Recently I've created a few places in my house where it feels like my own small sanctuary. I put up a bird feeder next to a big bush outside a window. I can sit and watch into the large bush. The bird feeder is hanging next to the window. Lot's of birds come there to feed throughout the day and hop around in the bush.  

When I sit there and watch the birds, it's very calming and allows me to clear my  mind. I don't know why it's taken me so long to create something like this inside my house.

I often feel meditative when I am out doing s/b/r, but there is something different about sitting for a bit, quietly.. just thinking about... nothing. 

2013-06-10 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Good for you Kate! I know what you mean. I have a spot at the local park that is like that for me. It's a concrete path that crosses the creek and has been replaced functionally by a bridge much higher up. The concrete is cool, and I can hear the water flowing and the birds chirping. If my dog is with me, she can splash around in the creek and I can lay on the cool concrete and just listen to the water with the sunshine on my face. Although not in the house, it is close enough. Yes, it's good to have refuges like that.
2013-06-10 11:34 AM

User image

Master
MidWest
Originally posted by KateTri1

I feel like I overeat sometimes and it's really discouraging. I'm also concerned about how it will effect me in my long term health. I want to have an attitude of caring for myself in all areas of my life. 

I really think the answer is in the mind and heart. So, I've decided to share my journey here.  I'll share my experience, hope and encouragement, to whomever wishes to share some of the journey with me. 

I'm placing this thread in the "Weight loss Discussion Forum" because I think some of the people who come here have some of the same issues. 

My focus isn't really getting to a "goal weight". I'm not interested in weekly weigh ins. I am more interested in working toward caring for myself better, with the emphasis on diet. And how to mentally overcome the times when I get off balance in my eating. Hopefully, identifying triggers to overeating and how to deal effectively with them. 

While I would like to lose a few more pounds, I am like you and just need to monitor my eating habits.  I go through spells where I don't eat at all (and my running suffers) and where I eat everything all the time (and my physical and mental appearances suffer).  RIght now my personal life is in upheaval and I'm coping the best I can. 

2013-06-11 1:12 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Expert

Originally posted by squirt Good for you Kate! I know what you mean. I have a spot at the local park that is like that for me. It's a concrete path that crosses the creek and has been replaced functionally by a bridge much higher up. The concrete is cool, and I can hear the water flowing and the birds chirping. If my dog is with me, she can splash around in the creek and I can lay on the cool concrete and just listen to the water with the sunshine on my face. Although not in the house, it is close enough. Yes, it's good to have refuges like that.

Carol, that sounds like a lovely place. I really like the sound of running water. This summer I might build an indoor hydroponic garden that has a water system that would sound like rain. Water is very soothing.

2013-06-11 1:13 PM
in reply to: BAMBAM66

User image

Expert
Originally posted by BAMBAM66
Originally posted by KateTri1

I feel like I overeat sometimes and it's really discouraging. I'm also concerned about how it will effect me in my long term health. I want to have an attitude of caring for myself in all areas of my life. 

I really think the answer is in the mind and heart. So, I've decided to share my journey here.  I'll share my experience, hope and encouragement, to whomever wishes to share some of the journey with me. 

I'm placing this thread in the "Weight loss Discussion Forum" because I think some of the people who come here have some of the same issues. 

My focus isn't really getting to a "goal weight". I'm not interested in weekly weigh ins. I am more interested in working toward caring for myself better, with the emphasis on diet. And how to mentally overcome the times when I get off balance in my eating. Hopefully, identifying triggers to overeating and how to deal effectively with them. 

While I would like to lose a few more pounds, I am like you and just need to monitor my eating habits.  I go through spells where I don't eat at all (and my running suffers) and where I eat everything all the time (and my physical and mental appearances suffer).  RIght now my personal life is in upheaval and I'm coping the best I can. 

I'm so sorry to hear that. Sending you some caring thoughts. Please be good to yourself. 

2013-06-16 5:57 PM

User image

Regular
NSW
I also have trouble with maintaining a balanced diet. After over 2yrs of being careful with my diet I still fall off the wagon on holidays or during busy periods at home or work relatedstress, and when there is too much rubbish around! I have tried low carb diet but a low GI or moderate protien seems to work for me, with less carbs in the evening, and tracking using Myfitnesspal has been the key.

Will be following your journey with interest, particularly some of the other strategies you are using such as mindfulness.
cheers
Felicity
2013-06-22 9:48 AM
in reply to: flossybach

User image

Expert

Good to hear from you Felecity. Mindfulness has been really helpful in balancing my moods. When I can find that peace, I struggle less with compulsive behavior. 

Within the last few weeks I've gone from crazy busy stress, to almost none. I'm on summer vacation. Food wise it's actually been a bit more difficult. I have a lot of free time and I'm often at home. With less day to day activity, I have the potential to put on a few pounds. To combat that, I'm keeping the fridge stored with healthy stuff. 

I've also a few projects that I'm doing, and I'm making a place for quiet time every day.

Some days are better than others. 

Honesty and effort. 

2013-06-24 10:51 AM

User image

Expert
2013-07-08 6:10 AM

User image

Expert

I've decided to jazz up my diet this month and try some new recipes. I'm gonna add more fish. Change is good. Smile

Weight wise, I've pretty much stayed the same. I'd really like to lose another 10 pounds. So, even though I'm not big on obsessive calorie counting, I'm going to use my FitnessPal account to track my diet.

I'm also doing more interval training, and I feel really good about that. 

2013-07-08 6:36 AM

User image

Regular
NSW
I love MFP for tracking, not doing the tracking is generally a sign my diet is falling off the rails.
A constant issue for me.

2013-08-26 9:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert

Update: July was great, I had lot's of S/B/R and I really took care of myself diet wise, spiritually and mentally. 

August? My family had a very fun vacation. 

But since then I've been in a bit of a funk and experienced a loss of motivation. A big problem I'm having is sleep. For some reason either I can't get to sleep, or I wake up at 3 or 4 a.m. and can't get back to sleep.

So I'm tired.. which is hard on the moods. Which makes me prone to bad snacking.. and less workout, and I think that compounds the issue of getting to sleep which of course, feels really bad. 

It's a bad cycle I need to get out of. 

Edited by KateTri1 2013-08-26 9:43 PM
2013-10-04 8:59 PM

User image

I'm not racing for weight loss specifically-- it is a side benefit, albeit an encouraging one. I try not to weigh myself because I know it will only cause me strife. If I do lose weight though, great! But mostly I just want to focus on how my body feels. Is it less fatigued, more energetic? Is it calmer, faster, stronger? Does it get sick less? And that undoubtedly will have a positive effect on my mental health as well.

It is helpful to be reminded that other people struggle with the same things I do...things that I presume a lot of people take for granted, like eating and sleeping and controlling one's stress levels and motivation. I wish I could take those things for granted! But for some odd reason I've just never had a healthy relationship with food or my body. We've never been in sync.

Food, sleep, stress, exercise...It is a delicate balance that one might think should come naturally. And if the balance is upset, it "should" promptly return itself to equilibrium. Conversely, when the balance is upset, it takes a long time to get back into equilibrium again. If I don't exercise enough (what I perceive to be enough), my diet suffers, my sleep suffers, I become more stressed and less motivated, and in turn I continue to not exercise and prolong the vicious cycle. It was during one of these periods that I decided to sign up for a triathlon, because I thought physically paying money and registering for a race in the future would make me get off my butt. And it has helped slightly. Sometimes I just wish I had someone around to force me out of bed or to force me to work out even after a long day on the job.

Food, fitness, and self-motivation are intricately connected concepts.

2013-10-16 8:10 PM

Extreme Veteran
A'ali, Bahrain

"taking care of self" has always been a tough issue for me.  I tend towards the codependent side of the spectrum.  I've learned the hard way that I become pretty toxic if I don't watch out for me.

I've been dealing with aging parents and this is as necessary as it is a trap for me.  This morning I was grumpy as I had been trying to help them with their computer.  Finally I took myself off to Barnes and Nobles for a double latte and some brain candy reading,  I followed this up by buying some new clothes including some new undies that are comfortable.  Occasionally the cure for the bunched undies is new undies!

I came home feeling much better.

2013-10-16 8:27 PM

User image

I am the same way (responding to the OP...).  I have lost quite a btit of weight in the last two years or so, tracking calories.  Gotten a little losser as I've been down near goal weight, which is fine. But I notice that when things don't go my way I tend to react by eating.  Somewhat feels like dealing with stress, but somewhat also feels like I am punishing myself.  That's the part I really don't like, and it makes it hard to make wise choices when I am allowing that little 3 year old to control how I react.

It's frustrating at times.  Well, always, when it happens

2013-10-17 7:47 AM
in reply to: annie

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Originally posted by annie

"taking care of self" has always been a tough issue for me.  I tend towards the codependent side of the spectrum.  I've learned the hard way that I become pretty toxic if I don't watch out for me.

I've been dealing with aging parents and this is as necessary as it is a trap for me.  This morning I was grumpy as I had been trying to help them with their computer.  Finally I took myself off to Barnes and Nobles for a double latte and some brain candy reading,  I followed this up by buying some new clothes including some new undies that are comfortable.  Occasionally the cure for the bunched undies is new undies!

I came home feeling much better.

I hear you! Ha, maybe I need to go undie shopping too! My husband and I (both only children) are dealing with his aging dad (94). Even though he lives in assisted living and my husband bears the brunt of the emotional stuff since it's his dad, it has been one of the most draining, frustrating things I've ever encountered. My parents are in their 70's and are likely to need more and more of our help as well. It is a continuing balancing act of how much of ourselves to give, and learning that we are not responsible for whether they are "happy" on a given day or not.

I have used training, and in particular, running, as an outlet for the part of me that likes to set and achieve goals, and as an escape/coping mechanism. But I got a bit carried away with that, and wound up really down after an attempt at a faster (for me) 2nd marathon back in February. Stress fracture, exhaustion, recurring piriformis problems, etc. have led me to drop back 50 to reassess what I was doing there. I've decided that it is more important to me to be healthy overall than to be super fit, aiming for PR's, etc. I continue to work out, but not so much in a driven way. I'm focusing more on healthy diet (OK, struggling with this one still)...adequate rest...started taking vitamins, computer less/reading more, making some of my workouts more social, etc.

Kate, I'm very glad you started this thread a while back. If you are still out there in BT land, how are you doing?

2013-10-28 8:20 AM

Extreme Veteran
A'ali, Bahrain

Yesterday, I did 20 min of yoga before running and it really helped.  I run as little as possible as I know it is hard on this middle aged body but it is such an easy-to-do sport.  The season here is that un-named time period between fall and winter.  There are still bits of gold amongst the gray and after I got into the rhythm it was wonderful to be outside.

Also, on the subject of self care, I called a friend and invited myself to her place for Christmas.  This way I avoid the family dysfunction and also get a fun train ride out to Nevada.

Keep that axe sharp all!

2014-02-06 5:30 AM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Expert

Hey. I haven't visited this thread for a while. I took a break from all things triathlon. I've been running consistently, and biking occasionally. I need to go back to swimming. I've decided to do a few sprints this summer but stay away from the really long distances. 

Not sure how I will be updating this thread.  I'll keep it up somehow.

I've been on a basically low carb diet since Christmas. My emphasis on whole foods and trying to stay away from bread and pasta, sweets (most of the time)

It seem to be going well. I've lost about 7 pounds, and I feel better.

For me the key is eating just enough to feel a bit full, and often, throughout the day. 

TC anyone who reads, and have a lovely weekend!

2014-02-20 9:40 AM

User image

Toronto-ish
I hope you manage to keep this thread going.
We often get race/performance focused and it's nice to see someone who seems to have the right goal in mind.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Taking Care of Myself Rss Feed  

of 2