General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Its crunch time... well past crunch time Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-31 10:44 AM

Subject: Its crunch time... well past crunch time
I've been training since the start of the year for my first sprint tri. My sprint tri is April 7, one week from today. My job is extremely seasonal and what I was afraid of happened. Work picked up two weeks ago and I haven't had as much time to train but I've still been able to run regularly and I feel like I've kept my cardio health up to do well in the sprint. But Friday I've been hit with allergies/cold like a brick wall. I may get sick once every other year and to my luck it is one week before something I've been training for harder than anything I've trained for in my entire life. How do you train one week before a race and I guess the best thing for me to do is get a Dr appointment Monday to increase my chances of getting rid of this crap. Because the one thing I've learned while training is that breathing is a really important factor in running a sprint. And right now I can't breathe as well as normal. But any advice is great advice for someone who's running their first sprint in 7 days. And I still have a list of things to do before the race. 1) get trishorts, 2)decide what I need at each transition, etc

2013-03-31 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4680742

Subject: RE: Its crunch time... well past crunch time
Also, What is a good meal to eat the night before the race. While playing sports as a child I learned it was good to have a high carb meal the night before. Is it good to eat pasta the night before the race?
2013-04-01 3:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Okay, Henry, first things first.  Rela-a-ax, man.  It's going to be alright.  It's your first tri, and the most important thing for you to do this time out is to have fun with it.

If I were you, what I would try to do this week is keep my regular workout schedule until Thursday, even a little on the light side.  Then take Fri/Sat as rest/recovery days.

As for carbo-loading, sure, go ahead and have that plate of spaghetti.  Just don't overdo it.  From everything I've read though, of more importance is what you eat the morning of the race.  Don't go drastically out of your normal routine.  It'll screw your body up.  For my first sprint, my pre-race breakfast wasn't that different from my usual; 1 cup of oatmeal, 3 tbsp raisins, 2 tbsp chopped walnuts/pecans, and 1 tbsp brown sugar.  Washed it all down with a cup of tea and a cup of orange juice.  In T1 I grabbed a banana and a hydro-pack of Gatorade.  (I'm not coordinated enough to grab those bottles and drink while I pedal.)  In T2 I grabbed an apple and another Gatorade.  That was enough to get me through, even though my first race turned into a duathlon that took me 3 hours to complete.

Number One Rule, it bears repeating, have FUN with it!

2013-04-01 4:13 PM

User image

Calgary, AB

Leatherneck is right -- relax!  

There's a bunch of concerns packed into your post...

• Training:  If you've been training hard for a while, and just missed out on the last couple of weeks -- but you're still running -- I wouldn't worry at all.  Your cardio strength won't disappear overnight.   Before my first sprint, I was healthy but still did nothing at all for 3 days before the event, and nothing too strenuous for 7 days.   Consider it a taper!
  • Sickness:  If I were in your shoes, I'd focus on getting better -- lots of sleep, light workouts (at most).     That will impact your performance (and for that matter, your mood) far more than trying to train hard this week.
  • Advice for a first sprint in 7 days:  At this point, don't try anything new or fancy or over-strenuous.   Only things I would think:
    • Maybe practice a short brick if you haven't already, just to know the sensation of running on jello legs
    • Practice a transition
    • If you're planning to buy trishorts -- get them soon and try them out.  (Nothing new on race day!)
    • Read through race reports for others who have done their first sprint -- this may help enormously to ease the jitters.    (Read mine if you want -- just click on "Races" below my post)
    • Read through the race registration information -- just to make sure you understand the rules, the course map, etc.  Knowledge is power.

2013-04-01 4:18 PM
in reply to: #4680773

User image

Calgary, AB

As for food -- I did the following:

• Pasta and sausage the night before -- regular portion, don't go overboard
  • For breakfast -- peanut butter toast, banana, and orange juice
  • During the race -- nothing but water.  Maybe a tiny cup of Gatorade at the run aid station.  For a sprint tri, I didn't find it necessary -- and I didn't want to risk the cramps etc.  (and I was a slow sprint -- nearly 2 hours)     I never trained with food -- will need to experiment with this a bit prior to my Oly this June.
2013-04-02 12:21 PM

User image

Expert
Montana
Take plenty of vitamin C.

Don't worry about your training. If you were pretty much ready for the sprint before you got sick, you won't have lost any fitness. I'd take the week and let my body rest, reducing to about 40% of regular training by. Maybe a short jog on Friday to keep things loose.

2013-04-04 2:43 PM

User image

Veteran
, Nova Scotia
Brother - First, RELAX. It will all be good. There is nothing that you can to in a week to get fsater or fitter, but a lot that you can to to ruin your race.

Tri-shorts - If you want. They are nice, but any pair of shorts that you can swim, ride, and run in will be fine. We have all seen guys wear everything from surf jammers to UnderArmor compression shorts.

Food for transition? It's a sprint. Eat something that works for you before the race, then drink a gatorade while riding. Easy-peasy.

And remember to have fun!

Good luck, and be sure to come back and post your results.
2013-04-05 6:12 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, Texas
I got sick last year in May before a race with a bad sinus infection. I got over it about 2 days before the race. I still wasn't 100% at the race and I still think it was my most miserable race of the year. I just didn't have full lung capacity. If I run into that situation again and there's enough time, I'll go to the doctor and (if applicable) get an antibiotic shot to try to speed up the recovery. It sounds like it may be too late for that now.
2013-04-08 11:13 AM

1:27:35!! My swim was much slower than I expected. I must have taken a nap at T1 4:08? But I averaged 19.2 mph on the bike and I killed my 5k PR 25:38. The only 5k I've ran was 28minutes. I was shocked that I ran 25:38 coming off the bike. I can definitely see where the transitions can shave some time.
2013-04-08 1:37 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Great job!
2013-04-08 5:23 PM
in reply to: #4691418

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
FABULOUS!!  And to think that you were worried.

2013-04-08 10:22 PM

User image

Congrats!!  Smile
2013-04-09 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4691418

User image

Expert
Montana
Way to go!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Its crunch time... well past crunch time Rss Feed