Overall Rank = 46/322
Age Group = M 40-49
Age Group Rank = 6/30
Run
  • 3h 39m 58s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

I was hoping for a BQ run ere but the course wasn't erally a very fast course but the biggest thing was the wind. we spent at least 18 miles running straight into a 25 to 30 mph wind and the wind carried a heavy load of sand as the day progressed so, especially for the back of the packers, the visibility was literally down to maybe 50 yards. It was freakish. My understanding is that this is normal this time of year for El Paso.
What would you do differently?:

Run a different marathon.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

A sandstorm.

Event comments:

I only rate the race below average because of the course and its location. The organization was fine and the post-race activities were comprable to what you get at other marathons but it was actually more than I expected. If you live in El Paso or like the El Paso area then this is a good race I just wouldn't travel far to run it.

Last updated: 2013-02-18 12:00 AM
Running
03:39:58 | 26.2 miles | 08m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/30
Overall: 46/322
Performance: Average
Course: The course kind of sucks actually and it's not as fast as the organizers hope it to be. It starts atop Trans Mountain and you drop 1100 feet in the first 4.75 miles. That part is pretty fast but it takes it's toll. Most of the rest of the course is flat with a few rollers thrown in toward the end. There were a few people on MarathonGuide.com from last year who were talking about how scenic the course was but it is NOT a scenic course. In fact, it is the ugliest course I have run. I feel bad saying that because the organizers were great and I know they put a lot of work and thought into their race and I assume they are proud of their City but El Paso just isn't a scenic place.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes