General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Neck/Shoulder Pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-10 11:17 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Neck/Shoulder Pain
I have been getting knots in my neck going down to the shoulder blade on both sides over the last month or two. I have been training for a tri since January and normally I don't get this type of injury over and over (more like 1-2 times a year). Is this due to swimming and the repetitive motion or the leaning over on the bike, or both. I teach tennis for a living so my right shoulder at least is used to repetitive motion of rotation, but even that one has seen some soreness over the last month (it has occurred twice on the left shoulder, once on the right). Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Thanks in advance.

2013-04-11 5:15 AM
in reply to: #4695745

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Neck/Shoulder Pain

A little more information might help.  Have you been professionally fitted on your bike?  What is your swimming experience?  Have you ever worked with a coach or swimming instructor?

Eliminating these variables as possible causes or contributing factors can be a good starting point.

You also mention that you get this injury 1-2 times a year.  Is that just since you've been a triathlete, or does it go back to before you participated in this sport?

2013-04-11 7:36 AM

User image

Are you new to cycling? I got tremendous shoulder pain at the beginning because I was tensing my arms/shoulders when cycling.
2013-04-11 9:32 AM
in reply to: #4695931

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

miamiamy - 2013-04-11 5:36 AM Are you new to cycling? I got tremendous shoulder pain at the beginning because I was tensing my arms/shoulders when cycling.

What did you do to get yourself to relax the arms/shoulders.  I have a similar issue on my left shoulder (under the scapula) and have been trying to figure out what to do differently.

2013-04-11 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4695836

User image

New user
TriMyBest - 2013-04-11 6:15 AM

A little more information might help.  Have you been professionally fitted on your bike?  What is your swimming experience?  Have you ever worked with a coach or swimming instructor?

Eliminating these variables as possible causes or contributing factors can be a good starting point.

You also mention that you get this injury 1-2 times a year.  Is that just since you've been a triathlete, or does it go back to before you participated in this sport?

I do not have a coach for swimming. I am not new to swimming but I am new to swimming longer distances. I started biking last year on a road bike, before it was a mountain bike. I teach tennis so I periodically get a shoulder issue which is usually in the shoulder blade area that I always attribute to the repetitive motion of serving and hitting tennis balls. I just have had this more times than I normally do over a short period of time and assumed that triathlon training had something to do with it.

2013-04-11 1:57 PM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Bike fit?  New to aero?  Swimming makes my lats sore as well as my traps between shoulder blades but starting out with aero on the bike caused a lot of neck stiffness and discomfort at first.  Your body'll get used to it.  If you use a trainer, ride in aero on that too.  I suppose it could be a swim form issue. 

2013-04-11 4:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Somewhere training in Rocklin, CA
Same here in training but not in races. I find that if I turn my head more routinely similar to checking my left before passing in races I don't get the same pain and alternating both left and right is ever better.
2013-04-11 6:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I've had neck pain and then soreness each time I've had my bike re-fitted (lost weight and got better on the bike, so position got more aggressive with each fit).  Went away each time, but took time.  Actually, I'm at the end of a month after this fit and it's just starting to get better on long rides, so might be a while to fully adjust (takes HOURS and HOURS on the bike to get used to a change in fit - at least for me, and I suspect for most).

Not to say that's what is causing your pain, but it certainly has worked that way for me.  I find that if I consciously relax my neck and look more in front of the bike (rather than waaaaay down the road all the time) - just peeking up into the distance frequently (safety first, but not always looking 3000m away) it helps.  Can stay aero and still see what's up - just a minor adjustment to head position.

Good luck!

Matt 

2013-04-11 11:43 PM
in reply to: #4696924

User image

New user
I have had my bike fitted properly so who knows what it is. I have had previous problems in both areas, nothing serious. I just had the same issue on my other side today. Yes, now I am officially walking around with a pinched nerve or something like it in both shoulders. The good news is that after I did my 75 minute bike ride and had to play 3 hours of tennis for work, it somehow loosened that up a bit. The better news, I have a massage after my swim/run brick tomorrow.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Neck/Shoulder Pain Rss Feed