General Discussion Triathlon Talk » If you could pick any 4 strength training exercises to do Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-04-14 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4699645

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: If you could pick any 4 strength training exercises to do
Comet - 2013-04-14 12:47 PM
switch - 2013-04-14 11:31 AM

I like this list. What kind of jumps in place? 

I haven't ever done pistol squats.  We used to do a thing like this in hockey called "shoot the duck" (the lowered pistol squat position, but moving on a skate) which I could do, but that was many years ago.  So I had to try it this morning.

Right leg, can do em, but only 5 in a row.

Left leg, can only do em if I let my left heel come up off the ground a bit, and I could only do 3 in a row. 

Somebody needs to work on their strength and flexibility imbalances.

Friend carry.  I'm not sure my friends would sign up for a sweaty carry.  I have kids I can overpower though.  I'll slime them.

You're able to do 5 & 3?! Wow. Impressive! I can't do one. I need to work on that. 

Also with jumps, I do them in my burpees as well. When you come up from the pushup, and are about to jump straight up...jump out, go into a slight squat, then back down to the burpee. A "jumping burpee" I guess. Also, very good work! 

Friend carries: what about the lady in your picture? What about doing squats with them over your shoulders? It is "equipment free"!
Like this:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=10940&photoid=111715

Teejay wasn't saying to not ask the question, she was just suggesting other threads to look for if you weren't getting enough from our answers. Totally cool to inspire the discussion, but she was just trying to point in another direction that might give you more answers. :

Yeah, I suppose I could always squat my spouse, but that would require us being in the same place and awake at the same hours I train.  We don't overlap like that;

Often when I finish a swim, bike or run, I'm at work (it's just kinda how my day lines up).  I often build my strength training in before or after a S/B/R.  A few times a week I do it as it's own thing first thing in the a.m. I almost never train with a partner.  Anyway, I am sans extra person for weight at those times, but it sure looks like it would work just fine.  Looks like it's be great core...

I really think I probably have enough bodyweight to get the job done by myself :) I tend to build muscle pretty easily (this is a both a good and bad thing) so, I need to be conservative with lifting heavy weight. 

I have complete and easy access to gyms. I just want to do this without equipment. I like the simplicity of it.  It feels better--more natural, more meditative--to me that way.

2013-04-14 6:10 PM
in reply to: #4699659

User image

Regular
LHOTP

MikeTheBear - 2013-04-14 12:58 PM For jumps you can do: Tuck jumps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlI_oY2QmroJumping lunges: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw4QpPfX-cUJumping pistols! Very advanced. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTqh1v7aCjUHop forward on one leg (should be obvious). Be careful with the jumps as these can be tough on the joints. Do them on grass or a carpeted area if you can. Ideally you'll want to jump onto something fairly sturdy, like a park bench, as this decreases some of the impact on the joints. But here again you have the issue of "equipment" - gotta find a bench!

Right on.  I did lunge jumps this morning, and they do the trick, no doubt.  I like tuck jumps too. 

OK, so I had to try the jumping pistols.  I should've run some video.  That was pretty hilariously awesome.  I did exactly two each side, and they were U.G.L.Y. But now I have to figure those out.  Thanks for that;

And I definitely didn't jump up onto something, just jumped from the ground onto the ground.  Can't imagine doing anything but tuck jumps onto a bench without getting better dental insurance.

The box looks like it could be really helpful for building up.  Great suggestion.

2013-04-14 8:18 PM
in reply to: #4699871

Elite
Denver, Colorado
switch - 2013-04-14 6:10 PM

MikeTheBear - 2013-04-14 12:58 PM For jumps you can do: Tuck jumps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlI_oY2QmroJumping lunges: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw4QpPfX-cUJumping pistols! Very advanced. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTqh1v7aCjUHop forward on one leg (should be obvious). Be careful with the jumps as these can be tough on the joints. Do them on grass or a carpeted area if you can. Ideally you'll want to jump onto something fairly sturdy, like a park bench, as this decreases some of the impact on the joints. But here again you have the issue of "equipment" - gotta find a bench!

Right on.  I did lunge jumps this morning, and they do the trick, no doubt.  I like tuck jumps too. 

OK, so I had to try the jumping pistols.  I should've run some video.  That was pretty hilariously awesome.  I did exactly two each side, and they were U.G.L.Y. But now I have to figure those out.  Thanks for that 

And I definitely didn't jump up onto something, just jumped from the ground onto the ground.  Can't imagine doing anything but tuck jumps onto a bench without getting better dental insurance.

The box looks like it could be really helpful for building up.  Great suggestion.

Dude, the fact that you were able to get into a pistol and get some air is pretty impressive. You definitely have some strong legs from your hockey days.

Try doing the box pistols but with a jump. They'll help your stability.
2013-04-14 8:56 PM
in reply to: #4699645

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-04-14 9:10 PM
in reply to: #4700019

Regular
LHOTP
Teejaay - 2013-04-14 8:56 PM

Yes yes!  I wasn't at all trying to squash the interaction.  I welcome and enjoy it.  Especially about things other than SBR ... since I don't SBR these days.  :)

And I am impressed on your pistol squatting!!  I started using the box or bench and now have graduated to using a resistant band looped onto something (like a post) and I position the band under my butt .. you can get all the way down this way but have a little "spring" to help you back up .. and the band helps control your speed and stability on the way down!  I still hate them though! 

Internet communication is tricky like that sometimes. I'm glad it's cool.

The band would be a good modification for me, as I really feel like my lower leg flexibility is the problem on my left, and I don't quite hit that problem if I stop at 90 deg (like with a box); it's that last 5 deg of flexion that is the rub. 

Single leg stuff is so good for revealing issues, and these are killer.  Good suggestion, thanks.

2013-04-15 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4697723

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Pullups
Pushups
Squat jumps
situps

2013-04-18 8:18 PM

There's a cool book called "Expressing the Human Body" by John Little that outlines Bruce Lee's workouts. There's a chapter on isometrics. It involves equipment, but I'm sure it could be adapted to be equipment free..
2013-04-18 9:40 PM
in reply to: #4706498

Regular
LHOTP

ewjones - 2013-04-18 8:18 PM There's a cool book called "Expressing the Human Body" by John Little that outlines Bruce Lee's workouts. There's a chapter on isometrics. It involves equipment, but I'm sure it could be adapted to be equipment free..

That sounds interesting.  I like isometric work.  I'll check it out.  Thanks for the recommendation.

2013-04-18 10:00 PM
in reply to: #4699286

Regular
LHOTP

MikeTheBear - 2013-04-13 10:55 PM Pistol squats if you can do them. Push ups. Burpees. Jumps in place.

So I have an update:

I've been doing Mike's list every day this week.  I've been doing it first thing in the morning with a little yoga, some additional core exercises, and pull-ups.  I do it as a circuit in the order below, and take each group to "failure". Repeat the circuit 3x. The whole thing, with my yoga and core ad ons is less than 30 minutes and it feels great. 

• Yoga-- short flow series of 3-5 poses
  • Pushes
  • Pistols
  • Core (I do a set of 50-75 here, no failure)
  • Jumping lunges
  • Pulls
  • Burpees

A few things of note:

The pistols--and I have only been doing regular ones, not the jumping kind--had my lower leg stabilizers (peroneal muscles) so sore on day 2, that I was having trouble walking normally.  They're sneaky little suckers, those guys.  Ease into em.

I've been doing alternating lunge jumps for the "jumps" section.   I'd like to incorporate tuck jumps, but I'm doing this as a circuit with my yoga which I do barefoot, and I am scared to do tuck jumps barefoot!

Burpees--they're awesome.  I've been doing pretty standard, garden variety Burpees. Man, they just jack my HR. I'd like to work up to single leg, but just haven't felt like I could do those safely in the circuit.

Push-ups--again, standard pushes--chest almost to the floor, fairly wide grip. I do one set split w/ alternating single legs.

Again, it's a nice little strength training workout.  If anybody else gives it a try, please let us know what you think.

Now we need to design a second set and then we can alternate days :)

2013-04-19 1:31 AM
in reply to: #4706582

Elite
Denver, Colorado
switch - 2013-04-18 10:00 PM

Now we need to design a second set and then we can alternate days

I am glad that my suggestions were useful.

Here are some ideas for Day 2.

Here's a great push up variation - the Dice Bomber: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttk8RdiIHzA

Hindu Squats: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVnwXkMi58A

Hindu squats can be tough on the knees so I will leave it to your discretion as to whether you want to do them.

Finally, check out this guy for some bodyweight exercise ideas. http://www.alkavadlo.comSome of these exercises require at least a pull up bar. Try some of the one-arm push ups, too.
2013-04-19 7:13 AM
in reply to: #4706643

Regular
LHOTP

MikeTheBear - 2013-04-19 1:31 AM
switch - 2013-04-18 10:00 PM Now we need to design a second set and then we can alternate days :)
I am glad that my suggestions were useful. Here are some ideas for Day 2. Here's a great push up variation - the Dice Bomber: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttk8RdiIHzAHindu Squats: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVnwXkMi58AHindu squats can be tough on the knees so I will leave it to your discretion as to whether you want to do them. Finally, check out this guy for some bodyweight exercise ideas. http://www.alkavadlo.comSome of these exercises require at least a pull up bar. Try some of the one-arm push ups, too.

Mike, thanks for these.  I gave them a shot this morning.

Hindu squats--good to go, though I did laugh a bit watching the video listening to the snap, crackle, pop of that dude's knees.  I do a variation of these that is exclusively done up on the toes/ high ball of the foot, with arms out in front (like they are for a pistol).  They're definitely quad burners.

I did a handful of dive bomb push-ups, but these just put too much strain on my shoulders :/ I may need to get stronger before I try these again.

I'd like to be able to do one-handed push ups, but I can't do anything that resembles respectable form.  Maybe one day...

2013-04-28 8:45 AM

Lenexa, KS

A mainstay of core training is what I'd call the "advanced plank." You're in plank position with your body straight, but on your hands not elbows (so like the beginning of a pushup). You walk your hands to the left (placing right hand next to left, shifting left over, etc.) while keeping your feet in position and then walk all the way to the right and back to center (you're making a nice arc if you imagine yourself from above). Repeat with hands crossing over one another. Once back to center do a couple pushups or have a small weight handy to do rows while still in position. Rinse and repeat. 

Frankly I need to do these more often, but they're great for core strength since you have to maintain that nice straight line with your spine through the entire arc motion and while doing pushups/rows. 

Other 3 are a lot more tough to decide on since a lot of my body weight stuff is more muscle group specific, but walking lunges would probably make the cut. 

2013-04-29 5:27 AM

Regular
The Sipp

The only training I do for strength is:

1. Ab Rollers

2. Ab Ripper x (16 min p90x program)

3. push ups

4. pull ups

I will throw in some planks and the like for something different from time to time.

2013-04-29 8:35 AM
in reply to: #4718425

Regular
LHOTP
pprice72 - 2013-04-29 5:27 AM

1. Ab Rollers

3. push ups

4. pull ups

I will throw in some planks and the like for something different from time to time.

I've heard a lot of good things about this...I'll give it a try this week.  Never done any of the p90x stuff.

2013-04-29 8:42 AM
in reply to: #4717723

Regular
LHOTP
funkj25 - 2013-04-28 8:45 AM

A mainstay of core training is what I'd call the "advanced plank." You're in plank position with your body straight, but on your hands not elbows (so like the beginning of a pushup). You walk your hands to the left (placing right hand next to left, shifting left over, etc.) while keeping your feet in position and then walk all the way to the right and back to center (you're making a nice arc if you imagine yourself from above). Repeat with hands crossing over one another. Once back to center do a couple pushups or have a small weight handy to do rows while still in position. Rinse and repeat. 

Frankly I need to do these more often, but they're great for core strength since you have to maintain that nice straight line with your spine through the entire arc motion and while doing pushups/rows. 

Other 3 are a lot more tough to decide on since a lot of my body weight stuff is more muscle group specific, but walking lunges would probably make the cut. 

Tried this one this morning--had never done that version. 

As I said above, I'm not a push-up champ.  My current regular push-up max to failure is in the low 40s, and I can't really do a single one armed push-ups (I can do a clap or two, but don't really like those).  So I definitely could work on  my strength a bit, but I can do planks--almost any version--for quite a bit before hitting fatigue, and there are other core exercises that seem to fatigue me much more quickly.  So, for me, planks don't seem like a great exercise, though I still do them on occasion. Anybody else feel like that?

2013-04-29 9:41 PM

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

my top 4 bodyweight are:

walking lunges

squats

pushup

plank

if I could use a piece of equipment I think pullups are excellent 

2013-05-01 5:25 AM
in reply to: #4718625

Regular
The Sipp
switch - 2013-04-29 8:35 AM
pprice72 - 2013-04-29 5:27 AM

1. Ab Rollers

3. push ups

4. pull ups

I've heard a lot of good things about this...I'll give it a try this week.  Never done any of the p90x stuff.

I used to do it every day prior to IM training. I do it 3x a week now. I cut the 16 min clip from the program and put it on my iPad so I can have it with me all the time. Great program and super workout (and quick).

I have a very strong core and when I first tried it, I had trouble making it all the way through, so dont quit and after about a week or two of doing it, you will be able to make it through (or sooner for some), and then you find yourself correcting your form to make it harder.

2013-05-01 5:29 AM
in reply to: #4720045

Regular
The Sipp
Meljoypip - 2013-04-29 9:41 PM

my top 4 bodyweight are:

walking lunges

squats

pushup

plank

I put one of those doorway pullup things (cant remember what the name is), on my bedroom door. I HATE pullups so with it there, I see it everytime I go in or out of the bedroom and I knock out 10-20 ...Hey, whatever works right

2013-05-01 7:50 AM
in reply to: #4721894

Regular
LHOTP
pprice72 - 2013-05-01 5:29 AM

my top 4 bodyweight are:

walking lunges

squats

pushup

plank

I put one of those doorway pullup things (cant remember what the name is), on my bedroom door. I HATE pullups so with it there, I see it everytime I go in or out of the bedroom and I knock out 10-20 :)...Hey, whatever works right

Ha--I have a bar like that on my bedroom door too!  I try to hit it at least every day, but I'm not knocking out 10 yet.  I can hit a good 8 on it though.  I have the p90X bar, and although it has like 8 different possible hand combos, the position I like--a little wider than my shoulders, overhanded--I can't get, and I think it's a little narrow in diameter.  I'm picky. 

The gym has one that is perfect, and there I can get a solid 9, but still no 10.  It's a goal I've been working on for a while, and I used to be able to do 12 (pre-kids), so it just makes me grouchy that I haven't hit it yet.

2013-05-02 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4721894

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
pprice72 - 2013-05-01 5:29 AM

my top 4 bodyweight are:

walking lunges

squats

pushup

plank

I put one of those doorway pullup things (cant remember what the name is), on my bedroom door. I HATE pullups so with it there, I see it everytime I go in or out of the bedroom and I knock out 10-20 ...Hey, whatever works right

haha- mine is on my bedroom door too. It learned to do them by doing one (or even just a negative to start with) every time i walked by it. I was doing three sets of 6 but I am more like 3 sets of 2 now.... working my way back up.

Yes- I have P90X too...need to get the ab-ripper DVD out. Gotta love Tony!!

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-05-02 11:51 AM
2013-05-07 7:46 PM

pullups - I was doing a routine to increase my numbers and it did help. I can't do pullups right now due to an injury but I'll be back at them soon enough. One day I plan to be doing muscle ups as well.

handstand pushups (against a wall for me) - just because they are fun to try and balance myself

planks

pushups and all the variations you can do with them

2013-05-08 6:25 AM
in reply to: #4732277

Regular
LHOTP
DoinWork - 2013-05-07 7:46 PM

pullups - I was doing a routine to increase my numbers and it did help. I can't do pullups right now due to an injury but I'll be back at them soon enough. One day I plan to be doing muscle ups as well.

handstand pushups (against a wall for me) - just because they are fun to try and balance myself

planks

pushups and all the variations you can do with them

I had to look up what a "muscle up" is--you crazy cross-fitters :)

Have you seen Comet's handstand?  Pretty awesome.  Maybe someone should start a handstand challenge.

2013-05-08 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4732618

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-08 10:59 AM
in reply to: #4732618

Queen BTich

switch - 2013-05-08 7:25 AM 

Maybe someone should start a handstand challenge.

DONE. Great idea!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=487443

2013-05-08 3:55 PM

Switch - I saw muscle ups one time and want to work up to them, BUT I have never tried crossfit. I lift weights for fun, as a hobby and to improve my physique. I have a long ways to go!

Comet has a good handstand for sure! Good job and keep it up!

Tee - good job keeping it up to improve!

And I will see about the challenge, right now I am healing up from a shoulder/arm injury but it is on the mend. If my shoulders can handle it I'll try to get in it.

Hope everyone had a good day.

Edited by DoinWork 2013-05-08 3:58 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » If you could pick any 4 strength training exercises to do Rss Feed  

of 3