General Discussion Triathlon Talk » If you could pick any 4 strength training exercises to do Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-05-10 6:41 AM
in reply to: #4700865

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: If you could pick any 4 strength training exercises to do

momo - 2013-04-15 12:11 PM Pullups Pushups Squat jumps situps

I agree with this list.

2013-05-14 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4697723

User image

Queen BTich

Here's a video of functional fitness/bodyweight calisthenics stuff.

2013-05-14 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.

I keep wanting to reply but keep finding myself annoyed by the restrictions.  I do understand the bodyweight only request...I could pick 4 for one workout, but doing the same 4 over and over... ARGH!

So..the basics:  Sure.

Squats, pushups, planks, pullups.

EXCEPT:  There are all sorts of variations of each of these and I'd have to recommend that the varieties be exploited.  As far as pullups:  Yes, they technically require equipment.  BUT, its easily improvised at most parks...I've been known to use trees, beams in a garage, or a variation that is more like a row where I use a table (when trapped in a hotel...)

2013-05-14 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4741784

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Zero2Athlete - 2013-05-14 10:38 AM

I keep wanting to reply but keep finding myself annoyed by the restrictions.  I do understand the bodyweight only request...I could pick 4 for one workout, but doing the same 4 over and over... ARGH!

EXCEPT:  There are all sorts of variations of each of these and I'd have to recommend that the varieties be exploited.  As far as pullups:  Yes, they technically require equipment.  BUT, its easily improvised at most parks...I've been known to use trees, beams in a garage, or a variation that is more like a row where I use a table (when trapped in a hotel...)

Hehehe--I'm such a stinker like that!  Doing the same four over and over would be mind numbing, but we started generating a list for an alternate 4 exercises--so we'd have to sets of four to alternate days with (see page 2).

I've been doing Mike's list with a slight mod add in of some yoga.  I do through the list 2-3 times depending on time restraints, and my other training for the day:

• Yoga-- short flow series of 3-5 poses
  • Pushes
  • Pistols
  • Core (I do a set of 50-75 here, no failure)
  • Jumping lunges
  • Pulls
  • Burpees

We kinda dropped the day 2 suggestion, and I backed off of doing strength stuff every day after seeing a pic of my tricep (yes, seriously).  But I'd still be up for generating the day 2 list.

Agree with you on pulls--I try to do them every day, and when I'm at work I do them on a metal doorframe.

2013-05-15 9:22 AM

User image

Expert

Holy cow Switch!  You are a beast!  And me, I'm a wimp!  I used to strength train regularly, but haven't in about 2 years. Somebody just wants to get her arms back, and keep herself strong and not broken!

I'm just "starting" to play a few days a week doing core, air squats and pushups (soooo lame!) and ahem...trying to get to a SINGLE pull up.   

I don't have any set routine, but I may adapt your VERY basic one in addition to my "homework" from my ART provider to start.  Great thread!  I know I'll be coming back for ideas as I progress! Wheee!

2013-05-27 9:21 PM
in reply to: Comet

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Push-up
Burpee
Lunges
Pistol Squat

2013-05-28 8:24 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master
I'm in this group that does monthly challenges. One was pull ups, one was squats, and I'm now doing burpees. All have helped me become a stronger mountain biker. Stronger arms and legs help haul the bike around the hills. The burpees help me change directions and react quicker with soccer. Next month is Sit ups, or abs exercises, rather.

So:
Pull ups
Squats
Burpees
and ab work. I have the P90X ab ripper x. I should do it.
2013-07-23 7:10 PM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
Does getting up early count? Takes strength of character!

And find a ee and do pull ups. After burpees (which in my humble opinion are not a strength exercise but awesome conditioning), with no bar or weights, pull ups are king.

But accepting you want them out

Squats
Burpees
Planks
More squats
2013-09-28 8:13 AM
in reply to: switch

Pistol squats, Chinups/Pullups, Dips

That's pretty much it maybe a hanging leg raise or some ab wheel
2013-09-28 4:52 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I'd go with
Burpees
Push-ups (because you can do many varieties of them to focus on several different muscles)
Planks
Either air squats or walking lunges.
2013-10-06 8:44 AM
in reply to: 0

Burpees

Inverted row

Lunges

Squat and jump

Edited by filipanutrition 2013-10-06 8:45 AM

2013-10-06 7:18 PM
in reply to: Zero2Athlete

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Zero2Athlete

That's why I haven't replied before.  For the average AGer triathlete who probably spends a lot of hours each week at a desk and computer, I'd go with:

Pistol squats

Walking lunges with a twist and other variations

Inverted rows - need a horizontal bar or tree branch a few feet off the ground, and I'd do both single arm and the more conventional double arm

Dynamic side plank variations - Vertical movements and reach throughs

2013-10-08 3:09 PM
in reply to: Iowaman

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Originally posted by Iowaman

momo - 2013-04-15 12:11 PM Pullups Pushups Squat jumps situps

I agree with this list.

Me too, most everything else suggested is variations of these four.

As a side note, an intense power/vinyasa yoga session would be even better, IMO.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » If you could pick any 4 strength training exercises to do Rss Feed  

of 3