Race Day Events
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 50m 16s
Overall Rank = 9/?
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/?
Pre-race routine:

I have a long history with rough days at the Trideltathon... seemingly each year something has to go "wrong." This year is no exception. I go to bed at around 7:30 Saturday night, and lay there... for HOURS. I don't know what it was, I just couldn't fall asleep. It wasn't nerves, I slept like a baby the night before big races, I don't think it was caffeine... no idea what it was. Finally around 1:30 in the morning I move to the couch and watch Anchorman. At 4 I decide it's pointless now to even try, so I get up and start mainlining Espresso. I get to the race venue around 7 and realize I forgot my powertap headunit... sigh. Great start.
Event warmup:

I run a bit, ride the course and then hop in the pool. It's outside and still quite cool,so as I stand and wait for the national anthem to finish my teeth are literally chattering it's so friggin cold.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 437 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

I didn't have a great swim. I don't know if it was standing out in the cold or what, but I just didn't get in a good rhythm. Got passed by two people but tried not to let it phase me, just focused on getting out of the water as soon as I could.
What would you do differently?:

Probably skip the warmup in the water next time.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Seemed like a pretty good transition for me. No mishaps, everything seemed to go right. Out on the road and into my shoes pretty quick, although the rubber band I used must have been the worlds strongest... it refused to break until about halfway through the ride!!!

Use weaker bands :)
Bike
  • 00m
  • 6 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

It's the first time I've ever used my roadie in a sprint over my tri bike... so I was a bit apprehensive. This course has a lot of turns and climbing, so we (myself and David) decided that the Roadie + Shorty bars (and a disc / jet 9) would be the best route. It turned out to be absolutely fantastic. I had the aero position for the straights, but all of the control of my roadie over potholes and through tight turns.
Also, the crits I've been doing I can tell have made a difference. I was much more comfortable holding all my speed through turns. I don't think I used the brakes once.

Nada, I was happy with it.

From the results posted I was in 1st place after the bike. (which just shows I still suck as a runner)
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I remembered last year having trouble getting out of my shoes up a hill, so I had them off extra early this year. It worked out great, so yay. Everything went well except I ran to the wrong side of my rack to mount the bike, so I had to hop underneath to get to my shoes. Woops. Otherwise a good t2

not be a doofus.
Run
  • 22m 16s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off the run the same way I do at the Trideltathon every year... with a side stitch!? #@$@%!!! I don't get it, I NEVER get side stitches (in fact the last one I got was last year... at this race) but I always get one here... I suppose it has to do with the cold weather. Anyways, I wasn't happy about it but I somewhat expected it, so when it hit I wasn't caught off guard. My mental blocks were up and I ran the first two miles at my normal pace despite the pain in the side. This is a big step for me, I'm hoping that in another season or so I'll be a real runner.

No water!? Yeesh... they didn't have the stations set up fast enough for the first people coming through, so we missed all water. Not a dealbreaker, but it kinda sucked.

Run more. Duh.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line (got outsprinted...sigh) got some fuel and found the family.

None the less, I broke the cycle of 3rd place finishes and squeezed out my first 1st place (AG) at the Trideltathon! YES!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sleeping the night before :)

Event comments:

I like this race, the Delta x3 girls make it worth going to :) There were plenty of drinks / food (even mcdonalds) post race, which my dad enjoyed :P

Overall a great race in Knoxville.

Last updated: 2013-04-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 437 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/?
Overall: 0/?
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: 400m snake swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 06 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: Out around campus.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:16 | 03 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Course: A new course this year. Liked it better than the last course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-04-15 8:50 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: TriDeltaThon

2013-04-15 11:28 AM
in reply to: #4700423

Subject: RE: TriDeltaThon

He's got the splits posted now, but looks like transitions are lumped in with the bike. 

I looked for your tri bike but didn't see it, so I didn't think you had done the race until they announced your name at the awards.  I was going to introduce myself, maybe next time.  I managed to get second place in my age group, but there were a couple more my age ahead of me who placed in overall or Clydesdale, so I really was fifth I guess.  They didn't have the water set up when I came thru either, and trust me, I was nowhere near the first people through!

My Race Log
2013-04-15 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4700423

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: TriDeltaThon
ahh sorry I missed you. It's pretty unusual of me not to be riding on of the tri steeds Thanks for the heads up I'll try to get the splits up.
My Training LogMy Race Log
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriDeltaThon Rss Feed